does any one make a roots style blower for the 390?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
carpenter547
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does any one make a roots style blower for the 390?

does any one make a roots style blower for the 390? i have a large list of mods to do to my truck and after all the rebuilding it will be time to start the building and that is top on the list

Old 02-02-2008, 05:41 PM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.hamptonblowers.com

I've been toying with the idea myself. The Hampton kit uses the Blue Thunder blower intake.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:54 PM
carpenter547
Senior User
yeah blower + 390 =

Old 02-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Been there, got one.

It's a regular 6/71 GMC blower(right outta the box), using a Blue Thunder intake and a BDS drive.

The one thing that I will mention is clearance issues back at the cowl. With my set up, it brings the blower straight up from the back edge of the intake. Take a stick, put it at the back edge of your intake in your truck and see what's above it. I've check about trying to put something like this in my truck, but realize there are alot of things in the way. Just some things to think about.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Freightrain
Been there, got one.

It's a regular 6/71 GMC blower(right outta the box), using a Blue Thunder intake and a BDS drive.

The one thing that I will mention is clearance issues back at the cowl. With my set up, it brings the blower straight up from the back edge of the intake. Take a stick, put it at the back edge of your intake in your truck and see what's above it. I've check about trying to put something like this in my truck, but realize there are alot of things in the way. Just some things to think about.
Larry, GOD gave us SAWS for a reason.. it's not just to demolish the environment any more

Old 02-02-2008, 10:10 PM
carpenter547
Senior User
haha well i'm thinking about putting in a 3" body lift before i even can start with affording the blower so i'm figgering that clearance would not be a problem. of course the hood could always be modified a couple of inches and still look mostly stock to the general public

Old 02-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Well you put that 8" tall blower, carb spacers and two Holleys and it gets PRETTY TALL. I know ohhh too well with my Galaxie as right now the "mr roadster" scoop is about roof height! Ain't no seeing around nothing driving it. Granted the motor sits a bit lower in truck(and you sit higher), but the cowl will be a big obstacle. It sticks out there pretty good on these trucks and all the blower stuff will be all in the way. A 3" body lift will help, but not sure it will be a cure all. If you go to my gallerys, go to bottom one(428) and there is a picture of car.

If you made your own intake(buy the plate or make it) and weld it yourself then you could move the blower forward and make room. The only thing you'd have to figure out is the drive length(you can get them in all kinds of lengths). Say if you move it forward 3" from where it would be for a BT intake, then order a drive that's 3" shorter. No biggie, just need to do some measuring. The only other problem then is dizzy clearance with blower. Right now it's pretty right tight up against the dizzy where it is with BT intake, so not sure how much you can actually gain.

Just giving you some heads up. Don't want to discourage you with your project, just give you some insight on issues coming your way.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Morrisman
New User
Originally Posted by Freightrain
If you made your own intake(buy the plate or make it) and weld it yourself then you could move the blower forward and make room. The only thing you'd have to figure out is the drive length(you can get them in all kinds of lengths). Say if you move it forward 3" from where it would be for a BT intake, then order a drive that's 3" shorter. No biggie, just need to do some measuring. The only other problem then is dizzy clearance with blower. Right now it's pretty right tight up against the dizzy where it is with BT intake, so not sure how much you can actually gain.

Just giving you some heads up. Don't want to discourage you with your project, just give you some insight on issues coming your way.
I just bought a 6V/71 and an old Offy intake as part of the long term plan for my hot rod. Obviously there will be some cutting and splicing of metal involved, probably quite a lot really ;-)

I'm thinking that buying a complete drive system from BDS would be a hell of a lot easier and simpler than trying to make, blag, find or borrow the parts myself?

To go on here:

Old 02-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OH HELL YEAH!!! Just add a seat and steering wheel and lets roll brother LOL.. that will be one cool rig// cant wait to see some more on this!!!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:38 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool, Who needs a steering wheel? its got a drop front axle...Just hook a rope to the spindles and lets go....and hell I've ysed fishing line for throttle before out in the SoCal desert ! Dont need no stinkin gas pedal !! LOL..

RJ

Old 02-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

You can buy the plate from Hampton and probably others. Cut the top off intake and weld it on. Or you can buy a piece and weld it on and then machine it. Depends on how much work you want/can do.

Looks like the project I had in mind! Blown, stick shift bucket! Short wheelbase, ill handling death trap! Ya!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 PM
carpenter547
Senior User
hey freightrain so basically the blower unit would need 12 inches clearance over what is stock now?

Old 02-03-2008, 08:44 PM
carpenter547
Senior User
by the way freightrain i know what you are saying about planning ahead and doing home work just check the sig |
|
\/

Old 02-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Well.......ok...........

I went out and did some real measuring. From the edge of intake(valve cover gasket surface) I am 18" to top of Holley fuel bowls. Now, this includes the 3" spacer under blower(to clear dizzy cap under drive) AND 2" spacers under carbs. These 2" spacers were required since I have mine cross mounted and with the 660 Holley's and they big linkage on the sides I needed clearance. When I had just plain 600's I had no spacers under them. So the height would have been only 16".

If you find the picture of my car in my gallery, it had the 600 Holleys on it then, it's basically 2" taller now and the scoop is just about near roof height.

This dimension does not include air horn or air cleaner. So, ya, it's gets pretty TALL!

Last edited by Freightrain; 02-03-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
carpenter547
Senior User
ahhh.... ok tall lots of time to brew on that i suppose

Quick Reply: does any one make a roots style blower for the 390?