1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: Do you or Don't you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:46 PM
mellowyellow55
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all that replied. I really follow the "Randy Jack" methods on instructions, but can really relate to "Rusty" also.

My issue is: My son will be turning 8 in about a week, and he watches everything I do, I mean everything and then thats what he does. So, I have had to step back and take a look at what I am teaching him, hence the questions. You guys are great and I really appreciate your time for posting, but it looks as if I WILL be reading instructions, especially the safety precautions listed my the manufacters.

We have made it that if my son is in shop when I am working on the truck, he must wear safety goggles and ear protection (if required).

So you know, I just needed to ask the question, but I know that I am doing the right thing!!

Thanks all............................

Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mostly, I use the rip it open approach and save the instructions to see where the extra parts go.

The only instructions I wanted to read were the ones that were supposed to come with my wife but I guess they were lost in the mail because I never got them.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:32 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thendrix
Mostly, I use the rip it open approach and save the instructions to see where the extra parts go.

The only instructions I wanted to read were the ones that were supposed to come with my wife but I guess they were lost in the mail because I never got them.
Same Same my say in first part to answer asking of Mr. Mellowyellow55

Old 02-01-2008, 07:38 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Yep, for the most part I am a rip it open and jump right in sort of guy.

Every once in a while it pays to read the instructions though. One such time comes to mind, there were 3 of us guys trying to put together one of those little girls kitchens(yeah I know) on X-Mas eve, slightly inebriated, and thought we could do it without instructions. We ended up taking it back apart and starting over with my sister reading the instructions to us, talk about embarassing.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,832 Likes on 1,833 Posts
[QUOTE=mellowyellow55]
My issue is: My son will be turning 8 in about a week, and he watches everything I do, I mean everything and then thats what he does. So, I have had to step back and take a look at what I am teaching him, hence the questions. You guys are great and I really appreciate your time for posting, but it looks as if I WILL be reading instructions, especially the safety precautions listed my the manufacters.

We have made it that if my son is in shop when I am working on the truck, he must wear safety goggles and ear protection (if required).
QUOTE]

I think we have all been there. It took my son helping me in the shop to finally start doing the right thing. I'd been playing the odds for years and had been really lucky (I never had to get anything dug out of my eyes or sewn back together). Now I keep several sets of safety glasses around, face shields, hearing protection, and extra welding hood, etc.

Yes, you are doing the right thing. Its cool that the boy is interested and wants to help out. Enjoy the time
Bobby

Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm the exception to the rule I guess, I tend to read the directions thru first and follow them if possible (save the babblefish translations... ). Heck I even read the owner's manual that comes with my new vehicles the day I take delivery, altho they are starting to get as big and boring as the phone book with all the warnings. Aside: IMHO those that actually need the safety warnings are the ones most likely to not read them!

Old 02-01-2008, 03:17 PM
ops32
Junior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AXracer
I'm the exception to the rule I guess, I tend to read the directions thru first and follow them if possible (save the babblefish translations... ). Heck I even read the owner's manual that comes with my new vehicles the day I take delivery, altho they are starting to get as big and boring as the phone book with all the warnings. Aside: IMHO those that actually need the safety warnings are the ones most likely to not read them!
I read the instructions. I usually take them to my recliner and read them in comfort.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:47 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
GOSH; I didn't know wives came with instructions. I never got any either. Maybe that's why I've had 4 of them. This one I have now is a keeper. She LIKES OLD TRUCKS. Heck I even get a truck fund deposit every month.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:00 PM
56efffie
Elder User
If I really get stuck I will look at them but my kids didnt come with instructions so I figure I'm safe jumping right in. I must say instructions for the spouse would have been nice!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:48 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 124 Likes on 63 Posts
Just a short story relating to how your kids learn from you by watching:

My youngest son was born a gearhead. When he was about 2 years old we lived in a distant small town-population 350. I was at work my wife at home with my 2 young sons. The 2 year old unbenownst to my wife had gotten a broom to lift the upper latch on the cellar door to get down cellar gaining access the my workshop. He got a stool to get up on the table that my radial arm saw was on. He found a box to step on and got it up on the saw table to first plug the saw into a ceiling socket and retrieve the safety key from an overhead beam. he inserted and turned the key to defeat the start button safety switch and pushed the start buttom while sitting on the saw table. My wife upstairs heard the saw start up and started running down to the cellar screaming "don't touch it-don't touch it!"
We were very fortunate there was no injury. My wife is a nurse and all that she could think was how am I going to stop the bleeding and keep him alive as she was running down the stairs.
The message here is that they watch you like a hawk and will imitate what you do. Make sure that you do the right things.
I have two wonderful grandchildren by my son. I think that his boy will be another gearhead. It is the passing of the torch.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:03 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Originally Posted by AXracer

Old 02-02-2008, 08:21 AM
COM49F1
Junior User
Please I don't need any @#$@#$ instructions it always (well maybe sometimes) goes together on the third or forth try!!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:23 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
...only as a last resort!

Old 02-03-2008, 03:24 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I read them after I get frustrated.,