Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Senior User

Ranger1F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
New to BioDiesel questions

I have been reading stuff on this site, which I see you guys refference a lot.
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/gettingstarted/

I have a basic understanding on how BD is made.

I know I should invest in a appleseed processor and I will soon but first, I am going to make a few batches using the 2 liter bottle method.

Questions
1. How do you drain off the glycerin ?(out of the 2 liter bottle) I am thinking a siphon pump.
2. Instead of a 2 liter soda bottle is there a cheap container that I can buy with a bottom drain ?
3. How do you filter the WVO ?
4. I did not see anything about drying a small batch using the 2 Liter bottle method, any good drying ideas ?
1998 Mustang coupe
2000 Focus
Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
The instructions that I had said to put your thumb over the mouth of the bottle as you turned the bottle over very gently. I didn't care for that, so I siphoned using fuel line from radio-controlled aircraft. as far as filtering the WVO, I used a strainer. If I were to do that again I woud probably put a coffee filter inside the strainer. Didn't see anything on drying it, only washed it several times. Google "Dr. Pepper method".
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Posting Guru

caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1F150
I have been reading stuff on this site, which I see you guys refference a lot.
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/gettingstarted/

I have a basic understanding on how BD is made.

I know I should invest in a appleseed processor and I will soon but first, I am going to make a few batches using the 2 liter bottle method.

Questions
1. How do you drain off the glycerin ?(out of the 2 liter bottle) I am thinking a siphon pump.
2. Instead of a 2 liter soda bottle is there a cheap container that I can buy with a bottom drain ?
3. How do you filter the WVO ?
4. I did not see anything about drying a small batch using the 2 Liter bottle method, any good drying ideas ?
Not sure about your area but we get 5 gallon jugs with bottom drains from a pure water store.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Senior User

Ranger1F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverjoe
Not sure about your area but we get 5 gallon jugs with bottom drains from a pure water store.
cool. Like this one ?

http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0173174.html

Also at the grocery store I found a margarita mix bucket with a drain in the bottom.
1998 Mustang coupe
2000 Focus
Old 02-03-2008, 03:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels