The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Do what you want while you can!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:10 PM
keyul
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do what you want while you can!

Well, I may only be 24, but took advice from elder people I have talked with about doing what you want while you still can in life before you get slammed with responsibilities, obligations, etc etc.

I finished technical college shortly after I turned 19, worked for awhile, then quit, took a nice 6 week trip to hawaii, came back, worked for a bit more, went back to hawaii for another month, came back, worked for a bit more, then was able to move to hawaii, live and work for just about a year. So check that off my list, got to work and live in a place that I always wanted to be. Currently I am back on the mainland, here in CT. Starting in the middle of july, I'll be taking a huge road trip!

Im planning on going up maine,new hampshire, vermont, upstate ny, parts of pa, northern michigan, the dakotas, montana, up into canada for some of the best mountain biking in the world,then im gonna go down the eastern side of the rockies, and when I hit the bottom, go back up the western side of the rockies, back into canada, then down the pacific coast, nevada, new mexico, ariona, texas, then go east to the appalachians, then up the appalachians and eventually get back into ct.

The plan is to cliff jump, mountain bike, surf, hike, see and do everything I can think of & want to do inbetween, all over the country. Just picked of a VW vanagon westfalia to do the trip in earlier this week! (some pics below). After this is over I'll figure out what to do next. Question to you guys is how old are you, what "stage" in life are you at, and what do you want to do or accomplish before you have to "buckle down"?

Keyul

Old 06-24-2011, 04:47 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm 22....And already been married/divorced....So yeah...I'm in the DGAD stage....lol

Old 06-24-2011, 03:14 PM
MrMarquis
Senior User
22, full time career on the railroad, full time girlfriend, and may be looking for a place of my own by the end of the year. Went straight out of high school, got the job I wanted, and now am just trying to balance everything and figure out where to go from here.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I rodeo'd and drank heavily through college.... I know I did what I wanted, I just don't remember most of it......

Plausible deniabilty when the fiance asks

Old 06-30-2011, 06:36 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I think I'm a lot older then most of you guys, 47. Doing what I wanted to do was never really an option. I lacked the finances to do most anything. I'm in a little better position now a days. (financially that is) Got a wife and 2 kids, that I wouldn't trade anything for. Hope you have a safe, wonderful trip. Looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:27 PM
kAriyaKicHickEn
New User
I'm 22 and just graduated from Baylor University. I'll be starting med school at UTMB in Galveston in August. I don't really have a lot of money so I'm not able to do any awesome traveling. I would love to go to Hawaii because I love the beach! So that's really awesome you've been able to accomplish that I'm pretty serious about school so I've alread been kind of "buckled down" but I still love to take time away from it and have fun with my friends. I'm excited about the future even though it'll include a lot of hard work

Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
18, gainfully employed working for a landscaper. I'm happily single, starting college next month, and my goal is to dump all my money into my truck to get it to run 13s in the 1/4 mile before I have to settle down and be responsible... someday....

Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 PM
dohc_chump
This space for rent...
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry, I don't fit in the 15-25 age group, but the title caught my eye while scrolling the forums...

At the end of this month I'll be 34...

I did everything I thought I was supposed to in life. I went to a four year college to major in Sociology, but my final year my Dad was diagnosed with throat cancer and ALS. I moved backed home to help my Mom take care of him (youngest of seven and the only one to step up). I helped take care of him till he passed away and after that I took care of my Mom while she dealt with his passing.

I think my Dad's illness and passing had the most effect on my life... more than anything else. My Dad worked HARD his entire life. He was married at 19 and worked his butt off to buy the house, car, pay the bills, and keep the wife/kids happy. Everything he wanted to do or purchase (mainly a Caddy, travel the US, and play golf everyday) he put off till retirement age, only to get sick and never be able to do any of them.

That shook me to the damn core. All these plans, all this busting ***, for what? To get sick, lose everything (the ability to breath on his own, move on his own, feed, shower, clothe himself), and that was that.

I ended up leaving a six year relationship, because I got scared I was settling. I didn't want to settle, I wanted to live and so that was that for a spell. Met another girl, went to tech school and got a degree, got a job at a dealership and was doing great for about three years. Then I felt that damn leash on my neck again and we ended up parting ways.

Too many old timers have told me not to wait till retirement to enjoy the good things. I've been to almost every state in the US (five states shy of making it), been out of the country more times than I can count on my hands, owned my own business, made my own hours, and did my own thing.

So to me, there is no "buckling down." I'm not going to bust my *** for the rest of my life to obtain things that won't mean jack when all is said and done. I have food on my plate, a roof over my head, too many vehicles to jack with in a lifetime, friends that are loyal to the end, good memories to last a lifetime, and to boot, I woke up today. What more do I need?

Enjoy your road trip, cherish those memories, and maybe I'll see you out there...

Old 07-24-2011, 09:19 PM
FordTruckMan2004
Junior User
Im 22, Have a full time job as a supervisor for a telecom support company and I have ~30 hours left in school and all I can say is Im ready to graduate so I can actually have more time to do the stuff that I want. It may take a few years after I graduate and have a good job to have enough vaca time to do anything like that, but Im looking forward to it.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am 24, i graduated college with an AAS in automotive at 20, after catching my fiance cheating, I split and roamed the tri state area for about a year driving truck for temp jobs before at 23 years old, ending up in afghanistan, having a wonderful girl, and a little one on the way (R&R was great!)

I had plenty of time while out running around to get partying and heavy drinking out of my system. right now I am looking forward to some stability in my life.

even with the little one, i'm still planning on finishing up my mechanical engineering degree. and I have no intention to stop traveling or giving up on my vehicles (and my girl threatens to kill me if i try to sell any of em' she was 18 when she learned how to drive in the 88) i have noticed that most guys that say that kind of stuff changes are the ones that gave up on them...

Old 09-16-2011, 12:10 AM
keyul
Postmaster
It's cool hearin what everyones doin, I have currently been on the road over 7 weeks! Just about 13,000 miles, heres a link to the thread over in general automotive section! Totally forgot to post the link here until now!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...road-trip.html

Old 09-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm 19, and I'm currently wasting my time at a non-agricultural college working on my AA in Agribusiness Management. The minute I get that degree and have a job and a place lined up in Nebraska, I'm leaving Florida for good. Then once I get to Nebraska, I'll have to work for a few months until I gain full residency status so I don't have to pay out of state tuition, and as soon as I gain resident status, I'm going right back into college to go for my Bachelor's in Agribusiness. As for life plans, I started early. I wanted a 1980-1996 F-series pickup since I was 5 years old, when my dad bought himself a brand new 1995 F150. 10 years later I picked up my F100. That truck has been my dream vehicle, and no other vehicle could ever mean more to me than that truck. I've had a few relationships along the way just in the last few years, but every single girl was the tied down type, and like Anthony, I just can't deal with that. So I decided to stay single and put my free time into doing what I love, which is working on my trucks, and working in jobs related to Agriculture. And that's what I plan on doing for the rest of my life. It makes me happy, and that's what matters in the end.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Monorail_Red
Junior User
Well where do I start...I'm 21, and I'm ready to get into the real-world. Held a steady part-time job since jr. high school, one more semester away from getting a CIS degree. Finding what I wanted to do wasn't easy because I like a lot of things, and I tend to take opportunities that I might not ever see as they come my way. Back in 2010 I worked for Disney in Orlando where I drove the Monorails. I absolutely loved it. There is no other experience that can relate to what it is like to drive one of those trains. Doing that was also a childhood dream of mine, so in 2010 when I had the opportunity to do an internship (Disney College Program) I put schooling on the back burner for a while I had the time of my life there. But I came to the realization that I could not support myself making $7.90/hr driving multi-million dollar trains and dealing with the responsibilities that came along with that. I love information technology and I love education. I'm going for my AS degree so I can get a full time job after that and work for my BA & masters on a part time basis, and up here in CT having a masters degree plus work related experience qualifies me to teach my profession at the college level, on a part time basis. I love education but I never would want to do it full time. From my experience you learn the most from teachers who teach based on real-world experience, rather than those who only teach theory with no practical knowledge other than theory. So I would love to be a part of that, won't make a million doing that but it will be something I love. Maybe someday I will have the opportunity to end up back down in Florida to drive the Monorails again, but it can't be a priority at this point in my life. If anything, I got to cross that off my bucket list. Next item on my bucket list is experience the view atop a cell tower, which I might have the opportunity to do soon. All in all I think it's about the bucket list, if an opportunity comes along to cross off an item (like driving the monorails in my case), do it while you can, because the opportunity might not come your way again. Nothing wrong with taking a break from the typical routine to do things you want to do, but always have to keep the priorities in mind.

Thanks for letting me toot my horn!

Goose vs monorail red - YouTube