1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Power steering question,,,

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 AM
55 Ford-O-Matic
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering question,,,

Guys as some of you know im putting a 302 and 5 speed in my 55 effie. I was wondering about power steering. I figured someone has added power steering to their trucks. Any help would be great. Oh and im leaving the front end factory.
Thanks
Dave

Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Goobzilla
Elder User
If you're staying with the stock axle, the Toyota Steering conversion is probably the best way to go.

There's a really good tech article on the swap on the board somewhere.

Last edited by Goobzilla; 01-31-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:40 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As for the easiest installation, that would be FoMoCo's Master Guide Power Steering, as it just Bolts right in.

The T*@#%a 4x4 P/S package, you have to do some Cutting & Welding on the Steering Column to add the Knuckle in order for it to be attached to the P/S box.
Then to top it all off, you No Longer Have a Horn Button on your Steering Wheel that Works, because the Hollow Steering Wheel Shaft that the H/B Wire runs through is no longer accessable do to the Welded on Knuckle.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Sorry to disagree with the Col, but I had the ram assist on my truck and replaced it with the Toy box. The Ram assist was designed for heavily loaded work trucks at low speeds and is not progressive, it gives as much assist around straight ahead as in a full turn which makes it sensitive to small turns of the wheel especially at highway speeds. The control box attached to the drag link must by necessity have some play at neutral which makes it numb then it suddenly gives assist.
The play at neutral also amplifies any wear or play in the original box (which almost all have since it was an archaic design from the 30's and required regular maintainance that most never got), requiring a rebuilt box as well as the assist setup which puts the cost over $1K for a less than ideal solution for a DD.
Yes you do need to cut the stock steering column off the box with a hacksaw or similar (easy) and grind or file two flats to match a bolt on double D universal if you want to use the stock column, no welding required. The box install is a simple bolt in. The whole install can be done with basic tools. In the end you have a system that drives like a modern car.
You will lose the stock horn button function, which is a small price to pay for the excellent performance of this setup, and you can either add an auxilliary button on the side of the column or anywhere convenient (when was the last time you actually used your horn?).
or if you absolutely must have the original wheel and horn button Mid Fifty now sells a somewhat pricey kit (but still less expensive than the ram setup) to return it's functionality.
Save yourself money and dissatisfaction, go with the Toyota setup.
see here for details: https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...60_Trucks.html

Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 AM
ghall
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ax or anyone...
any improvements with the ram assist by using a pressure limiting valve?

would this take some of the sensitivity out and improve drivability?

i understand the on-center play would exist... could increased camber help?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 AM
55 Ford-O-Matic
Freshman User
Well thats great. My father has 10 or so toyota 4x4 pickups over on his place. I am sure he would be very happy to donate one for me to use. Thanks all I appriciate it. By the way I have 2 steering boxes and columns so Im not too worrried about having to cut the original. Thanks all.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 Ford-O-Matic
Well thats great. My father has 10 or so toyota 4x4 pickups over on his place. I am sure he would be very happy to donate one for me to use. Thanks all I appriciate it. By the way I have 2 steering boxes and columns so Im not too worrried about having to cut the original. Thanks all.
The box you are looking for is found on 1979-1985 Toyota 4x4's. Basically the 4x4's before they went to independant front suspension.

When you scavenge the box do yourself a favor and grab the drag link, pitman arm, hoses, and intermediate shaft as well. Basically just small parts that may come in handy during the swap over (at least they did for me). You will need to fabricate a mounting bracket for the box. Its pretty basic, I think I have the specs for the bracket somewhere if you need it.

Bobby

Old 01-31-2008, 05:03 PM
55 Ford-O-Matic
Freshman User
Thanks for the info bobby. Yeah the specs would be great.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:15 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,833 Likes on 1,833 Posts
No sweat,
Here's a link to my steering gallery, the two different style brackets are both in there. I big thumbs up to AXracer as he is the source for the 2nd bracket dimensions.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=16295

Bobby

Old 02-01-2008, 07:44 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Mid Fifty sells the individual parts or a complete kit for the conversion: mount (their's is the best one IMHO), pitman arm, nut, universal. They also have the parts to convert the stock column: lower bushing, lower mount, replacement floor plate. If you don't have their catalog, order one today, it's a must have with tons of info and drawings, and it's free!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Goobzilla
Elder User
I had no luck in getting to the the tech article that Ferg and others put together on this. If you search the tech articles it shows it, but when you click on the link to read it, nothing comes up. Anyone else have any luck?

Old 02-02-2008, 10:30 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Goobzilla
I had no luck in getting to the the tech article that Ferg and others put together on this. If you search the tech articles it shows it, but when you click on the link to read it, nothing comes up. Anyone else have any luck?
WTF? same here! First they never did pay us for it as promised or even give us a T-shirt (or a thank you) and now it's gone! Hopefully it's just one the miriad of glitches this site is constantly suffering and will come back...
I know I have a proof copy of the text, but it doesn't have the picture links if anyone needs to read it I can post it or email it.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
WTF? same here! First they never did pay us for it as promised or even give us a T-shirt (or a thank you) and now it's gone! Hopefully it's just one the miriad of glitches this site is constantly suffering and will come back...
I know I have a proof copy of the text, but it doesn't have the picture links if anyone needs to read it I can post it or email it.
Fergy sent me a copy with the pictures. Since it was missing I started another thread to draw attention to it and hopefully our moderator is fixing it. PM me an email if you want a copy of the word document.