Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Panzerbrumbar Panzerbrumbar is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 194
Panzerbrumbar is starting off with a positive reputation.
The truth behind Snap On Tool boxes

Well after reading to many post's and having people saying there Waterloo and Craftsman boxes are the same as my Snap On boxes I did a little research on the subject. I really do not care what brand of tools you use or like but I do like facts not opinions.

Waterloo makes its boxes in Waterloo, Iowa (more likely overseas) who would have guessed that. In this article it talks about the company http://finance.google.com/finance?cid=1180269

Snap On tool boxes are made in Algona, Iowa and there is a little article about how they started to be made in that city here is the link http://www.ci.algona.ia.us/Fall%2007.pdf

But I am sure all this is not good enough to the people that think all of us Snap On junkies just look at name and not the quality of the product. So sorry to disappoint everyone that actually thought there was no difference in a Snap On box and a Craftsman.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
ididntdoit99's Avatar
ididntdoit99 ididntdoit99 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: waterloo, iowa
Posts: 700
ididntdoit99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerbrumbar
Well after reading to many post's and having people saying there Waterloo and Craftsman boxes are the same as my Snap On boxes I did a little research on the subject. I really do not care what brand of tools you use or like but I do like facts not opinions.

Waterloo makes its boxes in Waterloo, Iowa (more likely overseas) who would have guessed that. In this article it talks about the company http://finance.google.com/finance?cid=1180269

Snap On tool boxes are made in Algona, Iowa and there is a little article about how they started to be made in that city here is the link http://www.ci.algona.ia.us/Fall%2007.pdf

But I am sure all this is not good enough to the people that think all of us Snap On junkies just look at name and not the quality of the product. So sorry to disappoint everyone that actually thought there was no difference in a Snap On box and a Craftsman.
I guess i don't really know what you are talking about, because i don't get into stupid arguement about my toolbox.

what did you just prove? that waterloo industries doesn't make snap on boxes. Somebody didn't know that already? It is one of the brands that Waterloo industries doesn't make.

Ohh.. and Waterloo, Iowa isn't "overseas" nor are Waterloor boxes made overseas. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, i'll show you where both plants are and i'm sure they will gladly give you a tour.

i guess i'm not sure how you came to this conclusion....

waterloo toolboxes are made in waterloo, iowa ???probably overseas???
but snap on boxes are made in algona, iowa ???not anywhere else???
__________________
92 f-150 302 V8 4x4 ext cab 200k

Last edited by ididntdoit99; 01-30-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:17 PM
scrapyardking scrapyardking is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Western, PA
Posts: 657
scrapyardking is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Damn guys calm down its just a toolbox.
__________________
Andy
1977 F-250 400 1967 F-100 240
1978 F-350 351m
1978 F-150 460
1974 F-350 361
1994 ranger 4.0
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:41 PM
ididntdoit99's Avatar
ididntdoit99 ididntdoit99 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: waterloo, iowa
Posts: 700
ididntdoit99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapyardking
Damn guys calm down its just a toolbox.
yeah.. like i said, i'm not going to argue about toolboxes.. i have two of them and they probably cost less that the wheels on his snap on tool box.

but i will argue with somebody who thinks that just because he has a snap on tool box he has the best. And that any tool box made by waterloo industries is junk. Or makes an assumption that they are made "overseas" considering i live 5 minutes away from where they are made... and their website shows nothing to suggest that they are made anywhere but waterloo, iowa. Just like the snap on website says nothing about being made anywhere else.

Can i just asume that all of snap on's boxes are made elswhere also?
__________________
92 f-150 302 V8 4x4 ext cab 200k
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
bcrab bcrab is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 142
bcrab is starting off with a positive reputation.
My tool box is bigger than yours.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-31-2008, 12:18 AM
mudmaker's Avatar
mudmaker mudmaker is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Severance, Colorado
Posts: 2,476
mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.
FWIW according to company info they arent made in waterloo. they have manufacturing facilities in OK, AR, and MO. Only there corp offices are in waterloo, IA. And they are for sale due to restructuring by their parent company.
__________________
Marc



2002 Excursion Limited 4X4, PSD, 6637, CCV, Gauges, 4" MBRP, John Woods Valve Body, DP Tuner
2001 F250 4x4 PSD, SUPERCAB, ARE UTILITY TOPPER
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 AM
ididntdoit99's Avatar
ididntdoit99 ididntdoit99 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: waterloo, iowa
Posts: 700
ididntdoit99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmaker
FWIW according to company info they arent made in waterloo. they have manufacturing facilities in OK, AR, and MO. Only there corp offices are in waterloo, IA. And they are for sale due to restructuring by their parent company.
where did you find that? because on thier website. scroll down a little bit, and it says they have 2 manufacturing facilities
http://www.waterlooindustries.com/about.asp

i'm not saying you're wrong..
I just read his first post that said

"Waterloo makes its boxes in Waterloo, Iowa (more likely overseas) who would have guessed that. In this article it talks about the company http://finance.google.com/finance?cid=1180269"

and i'm wondering why (from this link, or from waterloo industries website) he came up with "more likely overseas"
__________________
92 f-150 302 V8 4x4 ext cab 200k

Last edited by ididntdoit99; 01-31-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Gevans17 Gevans17 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,081
Gevans17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ok, so now I am curious...where are Craftsman tool boxes made??
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-2008, 07:05 AM
brownfoot brownfoot is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 448
brownfoot is starting off with a positive reputation.
Paragould, Arkansas
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 AM
mldmkr1960's Avatar
mldmkr1960 mldmkr1960 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 189
mldmkr1960 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Id rather have Snap on anyday!
__________________
March 27, 2006 got my 2006 Ranger FX4 Level II 4x4 4.0 Automatic Supercab in Oxford White
November 15, 2009 got my 2010 F150 Lariat 4x4 6-spd Automatic Supercab in Dark Blue Pearl Clearcoat
September 28, 2012 got my 2012 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost Supercab in Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-2008, 10:02 AM
1975Ford's Avatar
1975Ford 1975Ford is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,248
1975Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.1975Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Some of the features for a quality tool box. Design, drawer pull out, drawer size, drawer features, and etc... are qualities to look at.

How good are the Waterloo toolboxes?
I've seen them mentioned, price was a bit high, but if the quality is good, then it worth the price.
__________________
Word of advice "Take your time, clean and prep part, and don't cut corners"

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 AM
bhardy501's Avatar
bhardy501 bhardy501 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rome, GA
Posts: 619
bhardy501 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bhardy501 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My $400.00 Roll Cabinet from Harbour Freight does the exact same thing that the expensive Snap-On, MAC, Matco or other brand does. It may be made overseas, probably is, but it is very heavy gauge steel and has roller bearings and I have a lot more money left to buy good tools. A box is a box and if you take care of them they all do the same job, store your tools.
__________________
Life should not ba a journey to arrive at the grave in a well preserved and perfectly intact coarpse, I had rather arrive in a body that is all used up, with a beer in one hand and a chicken wing in the other, yelling "OH Yeah what a ride it has been!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
mudmaker's Avatar
mudmaker mudmaker is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Severance, Colorado
Posts: 2,476
mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.mudmaker has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ididntdoit99
where did you find that? because on thier website. scroll down a little bit, and it says they have 2 manufacturing facilities
http://www.waterlooindustries.com/about.asp

i'm not saying you're wrong..
I just read his first post that said

"Waterloo makes its boxes in Waterloo, Iowa (more likely overseas) who would have guessed that. In this article it talks about the company http://finance.google.com/finance?cid=1180269"

and i'm wondering why (from this link, or from waterloo industries website) he came up with "more likely overseas"

http://www.imex.com/waterloo.html

They list three facilities. I dont know how the original poster came to the conclusion they are made overseas, but if you take that comment out and read the rest of his post he is simply saying that Snap on boxes are not made my Waterloo Industries, who makes craftsman boxes and host of other brands.

More than likely he read the comment on their website about global markets and assumed. We all know what happens when you assume!!LOL
__________________
Marc



2002 Excursion Limited 4X4, PSD, 6637, CCV, Gauges, 4" MBRP, John Woods Valve Body, DP Tuner
2001 F250 4x4 PSD, SUPERCAB, ARE UTILITY TOPPER
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2008, 01:29 PM
1969F2504X4 1969F2504X4 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 46
1969F2504X4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've had all three boxes..snap on, craftsman and waterloo. The snap on was far superior in quality. Just my opinion though
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-2008, 05:09 PM
ididntdoit99's Avatar
ididntdoit99 ididntdoit99 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: waterloo, iowa
Posts: 700
ididntdoit99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmaker
http://www.imex.com/waterloo.html

They list three facilities. I dont know how the original poster came to the conclusion they are made overseas, but if you take that comment out and read the rest of his post he is simply saying that Snap on boxes are not made my Waterloo Industries, who makes craftsman boxes and host of other brands.

More than likely he read the comment on their website about global markets and assumed. We all know what happens when you assume!!LOL

huh... funny, I did find a newspaper site that said they were buliding a new site in OK... but it was from 1995... I guess it's possible that waterloo industries website hasn't updated that part since then?
__________________
92 f-150 302 V8 4x4 ext cab 200k
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:09 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop

Tags
box, boxes, cabinets, care, craftsman, iowa, made, maintenance, makes, prices, sale, snap, snapon, tool, toolboxes, truck

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
79 I6 swap to V8 or Injected 6 Jeremy Kamutzki 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 32 01-15-2014 03:21 PM
Iowa: Volga City Truck Cruise rowdyredneck Events & Happenings 0 08-06-2013 09:58 PM
1987 Ford Woody Wagon survivor under 60,000 miles US car until 2006 all original 68Mercury250Ranger Vehicles for Sale 0 01-01-2013 02:25 AM
1950 f3 on craigslist 95stepside 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 4 10-16-2012 10:40 PM
Indiana's August 2012 BS about all the flies, drought and heat...WAIT...can it get any HOTTER??????? X_Hemi_Guy Indiana Chapter 390 09-05-2012 12:52 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup