S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Ford of Orange sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:36 PM
goracer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Ford of Orange sucks!

I get a P3040 (think that's right) code on my Edge which is a cam shaft position sensor fault. I tell the service guy: I know the code and want the sensor checked. I do not want to pay you to tell me I have a code and waste my money.

I get a call later from the tech telling me he "thinks" it's the alternator. I ask if he tested it, he said "no". I asked if he tested the sensor, he said "no". I asked if he could test the sensor to eliminate it, he said "no I have to replace the alternator first". I said that makes no sense! You want to replace an alternator that you did not test and you wont test what i'm paying you to test, wtf!

I complain to the service guy and ask for not the service manager but the director. he then has the mechanic check the alternator with me telling him how to do it (duh, unplug it) becuase the tech claimed it was a radio frequency even though there was no whine nor did the radio pick up any noise.

SO now i'm told he eliminated the alternaor. I was assured the sensor was checked but it only shows the alternator on the paperwork. so I don't truct them. I call Irvine tuttle click ford and they only charge $50 for diagnosis. FOrd of Orange charged me $150. If tuttle click tells me its the sensor I am going to sue Ford of Orange and don't care if it costs me more money to sue then I get back!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, first off, welcome to FTE. Lots of smart tech people here in the forums,and it can be a valuable recource of information for just about any problems you might have.

Next, if you want to join the SoCal chapter, click the link in my signature to take you to where you need to go. Does not cost a cent.

Finally, I don't know anything about Ford of Orange, but Tuttle-Click is pretty well respected around here. They are known for giving a square deal, without any B/S.

Let us know what happens, and good luck to you.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll be much happier with the Techs and overall service at Tuttle-Click Ford.

Their Diesel Techs are Certified and top notch.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 AM
goracer
Junior User
Yes, i've been to both before. Had excellent service with warranty and service bulletin replacements done without any hassle. Front rotors replaced at their suggestion of service bulletin. ...tuttle click. Gave Ford of Orange a second chance mostly becuase they are only a few miles away and I could go home and back to sleep. That was a costly mistake. I will call the BAR, their service director, reverse payment on my credit card and take them to court. Yes for $150 just as I paid $150 to take my $10 fix it ticket to court and won.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:03 PM
wassabe
Senior User
goracer, I've had great experience with Villa Ford over the years. They are the only dealership I will let work on my 88 F250. Been going there for over 10 years and have NEVER had to wait longer than I would expect for any repair and they don't call back with "you need this and you need that". If you live near Ford of Orange then you are close to VF too. Also, I always ask for a discount and they take 5 or 10% off the bill.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:52 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
If you are near Buena Park, Ken Grody on Beach is doing pretty good. Lots of diesel techs there now. I agree with your Ford of Orange being jerks. Tried to get them to take 40 some thousand of my hard earned dollars and order me the truck I wanted. No way, wouldn't even bother. You buy what's on our lot or go elsewhere. I went elsewhere and made out much better over at Grody.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
I have a neighbor who swears by Grody for his Ford cars - won't go anywhere else. I don't know anyone who has had their Powerstroke service there - have you had the opportunity and if so what did you think?

Old 02-04-2008, 05:08 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
Sure have, bought my truck there. Got (I think) a great deal and treated well. They have done all my service since then. No gripes or complaints with them, very happy with the service dept, in and out quick with everything done right. Not happy with that EPA flash they stuck me with but that wasn't their fault. lol!

Don't know why I don't have a sig on this site, will look into that. I have an 07 F450 extended cab, PSD 4x4, 4.88 LS, 9ft flatbed with 8ft boxes. Carry an 07 Okanagan 117DBL camper on it.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:13 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
You have to get I think 25 posts before you can put up a sig. We have a frivolous thread that is tailor-made for achieving that number in a short period of time. See: "So Cal Frivilous Thread, B/S Only" in this forum. Hell, you might even enjoy it.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:32 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
lol! I did see that thread! Couldn't figure out what the heck it was for, now I know! Thanks Steve!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:15 PM
goracer
Junior User
I've gone through Ford corporate and their service mgr before. This time it was a different service rep and I thought the previouse problem was a one time deal.

Anyhow, I shouldn't have to complain for the tech to check what I paid for to be checked. I shouldn't be told to buy a $400 alternator (+ labor) so the tech can rule it out without checking.

I went to Irvine Tuttle Click. Was handled very friendly, as "allways" there. They took me in late afternoon without complaints and without sking to leave the truck over night (so the tech can look at it the next day). The tech was unable to figure out the problem and to my surprise he asked about the alternator. Apparently there is a flowchart that their computer goes by and doesn't tell you the next step beforehand. Old school way would be check the cam position sensor when you get a cam position sensor error. New way, do whatever the computer tells you to do. This made no sense to me. I could be paying $1,000 to do all the check in the order the computer tells the tech. Well they actually waived the fee since I needed the truck and promised to return in the morning. Knowing their computer would make the tech start from the alternator again I didn't want to waste another $150. I asked for the noise problem to be fixed instead. The noise was on the passenger side. Alternator would be center and CPS would be on the drivers side. I was sure it was a bad gear and it chewed up my cam shaft. The tech isolated it to the belt tesnioning arm. I had it replaced for $280 (didn't have a new belt in stock). The noise is now gone and truck drives good. I should be happy but the check engine light still keeps comming back. SO I will have to fork over the diagnosing fee again when I can.

I've never tried Villa Ford and yes they are close just not as close as Ford of Orange. I've gone as far as an hour away (forgot dealer name) but went there because they are supposedly the shop to go to with a lifted truck. Ford of Orange gives you crap and blames your lift kit for everything unless you bught the truck from them and they installed Danahoe Racing 3" kit (I have a 7" kit).

Last edited by goracer; 02-04-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by bigjimcruising
Not happy with that EPA flash they stuck me with but that wasn't their fault.
Did you lose MPG with that flash?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 AM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
Hard to tell Steve, my mileage is so lousy to begin with. I average about 8.5mpg overall. I don't think it hurt my mileage or might have been offset by the engine starting to break in and loosen up a bit.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
Oops, got distracted and hit the post button before I finished! Mostly what the EPA flash did was to rob me of even more power! I can definitely feel the loss of power going up hills. Going down hills is even worse, they totally gutted the engine breaking to the point of making it less then half of what it used to be, and that's when it's working! It only seems to work from 20mph to 40mph. Below or above it's pretty much off.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
goracer
Junior User
I removed the stock exhaust and had a custom dual exhaust made. Chopped off the Y-pipe and added an X -pipe with a Maganflow dual in/out exhaust. This increased power and milage. After that I tried a predator which was good but when the Edge came out I sold it and i'm very happy with it. I am 10/12mpg without and with the Edge on #3, I avg 15mpg with 7" lift and 37's.

Quick Reply: Ford of Orange sucks!