1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lizard Skin / Bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Last Chance 55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lizard Skin / Bed liner

Just want to share some info on a couple of things that we are trying on my 56.

Lizard Skin- seen this stuff at the NSRA nationals last year and was impressed by the presentation. A heat resistant and a sound deadner. A good friend with deep wallets wanted me to try it out on a couple of projects before we used it on his 40 sedan, so he financed the first bucket and sprayer. We sprayed it on @ about 70 PSI and it applied very well and quick. We shot the inner fenders, front fenders and rear fiber fenders and have let the stuff cured for a couple of days. My first impression of it is that it seems to be like bedliner but not as rough , smoother. It does have a chalky / dull color, so having it visible is out of the question. We did do a couple of test panels one with the skin and the other with Duplicolor bedliner, as we set the panels on top of a lighted wood stove that was very hot(you could not touch it) After about two hours, the skin passed the heat test as you lay your hand on it without danger of being burned. The bedliner was hotter than HE##. As for the heat damaging either of the visible effects of the two, there were none. I will have to update later on any sound deadening tests we do.

My take on the bedliner. We have tried spraying it (just don't like the texture). We have had success with the texture roller and its looks great, not so dull.

I plan on using the skin in the cab and knock off dynamat (from some ALABAMA redneck insulation company that everyone uses) and try that. Tonight, we rolling the bedliner under the hood and cab mainly for looks.

I have had a few friends that have used Linex and the roll on type and all have seemed to be happy. Has anyone here used these products and stop me before I spend my beer money on another gallon of skin.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about the Lizard Skin, but I used Herculiner on my bed and will use it under running boards, hood and fenders. It works well and is very tough. It's not very expensive either.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info on LizardSkin. I am considering it for my interior but probably will use something else on the inside of the fenders, etc. Let us know what your final thoughts are on the Skin.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:25 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
My understanding of Lizard Skin is that it is a premium product at a premium price...made to be applied to the inside of panels that are exposed to the outside. Also that it is a thin material that is intended to repel heat primarily and not as a sound deadening material (although it does add some amount of thickness to any panel to which it is appled which helps knock down the sound). This is the first discussion I have read about the product that mentions it in the same context with bedliners. I never considered this product to be appropriate for anything other than interior use.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:37 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
I agree CharlieLed, I've never heard of it's use other than on the interior surfaces. I was thinking of it especially for use on the firewall and roof to help control heat build up in the cab.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:53 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I bought a gallon of bedliner from Walmart and put three coats on the under side of my fiberglass fenders and running boards. It is tough and looks kinda questionable going on but after it dried it seems to be real tough. I think it cost about $40. When I get them on the truck I will post the results.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:03 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are either of these paintable?

Old 01-30-2008, 08:36 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
I did some initial testing for the Liz skin distributor here in CO. I have 3 coats in cab,4 on firewall and over the muff area on the floor of cab. I used it as instructed by the factory guys. I used it for heat insulation, the sound buffer qualities come as a bonus and are no better than any product that can be spayed on the tin. For sound and vibration , I used the Dynamat strips everywhere. Liz is not a product for exterior use as mentioned by the others. It should not be confused or compared to the bed liner materials They are nothing alike chemically and the fillers are way different. The Liz has spherical ceramic beads as a filler and heat sink and adds to the sound absobtion capabilities. The Liz is also a water based product. The ceramic filler make it rather costly to use on exteriors or where not intended. The bed liners are mostl urethane based with carbon black and a load of UV inhibitors and has some VOC's that help it stick to tin and paint like grim death. They too can add to sound insulation simply by adding thickness to the tin. Urethanes by nature are not a good heat or cold insulator unless it is in a closed cell structure. The difference if any would be minor since the specific gravity and density absorb little vibration compared to products made for that purpose.
As for my test truck, it has the Liz, then the Dynamat strips, then the Aluminum foil over the wool mat. The undercab has a heat paint. Heres a pic.
I believe both are paintable.

Jon

Last edited by CIAF; 01-30-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:37 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
thanks CIAF, that's what I thought

Old 01-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Last Chance 55
Senior User
Thanks guys as usual someone steps up.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Last Chance 55 here is a post I did back in Oct.

An update on Lizard Skin or Cool Car Ceramics ceramic spray on insulation. As I noted previously I used these on my 40 coupe. This weekend a friend came by with an expensive tester that measures coating thickness in mils. His brother is in the paint shop supply business and had it as a sample. He had used it find out when he got to 40 mils applied to his truck. He rolled on three coats to get to 40 mil. We used it to test the thickness on my 40. On the inside that was sprayed by a local body shop that does it regularly it varies from 10 to 20 mils, on the underside that I sprayed it is about the same. The shop used 2, 2 gallon buckets to do the inside, top to bottom, side to side. I used about 3/4's of a 2 gallon bucket underneath. Didn't get close to their recommended 40 mils. At least the floor has a coat on each side. I am contemplating using what I have left to put another coat on the underside of the roof. Although it would be applied to the B-Quiet I have installed already. Not sure what I will do there. Anyway, FYI 40 mils is much thicker than I would have thought. I don't know how you would know for sure without a gauge. Joe

Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Here is the one before that.

This past weekend I had the chance to do some testing with a non-contact temp sensor on my three hot rods. I have just completed installing B-Quirt over the Lizard Skin sprayed earlier. I was a little concerned about that decision and wanted to see, before upholstery, how it performed. The outside temp was low 90's in bright sun. The car is a 1940 Ford coupe painted black. First I tested outside of an area that does not yet have B-Quiet on it [ran out]. I was shocked to find only a 5 degree difference between the outside and directly opposite on the inside. I had the Lizard Skin applied by a local shop that does so regularly. Did they not do it corectly???? Certainly looked good, but how do you ascertain 40 mils? I later decided to do the underside of the car and sprayed it myself, I don't know if I got 40 mils. I do like how the Lizard Skin seals the surface. Anyway, next I tested the area with B-Quite over the Lizard Skin. WOW, a 60 degree difference. I also tested my Blue 46 coupe with some insulation that comes from the aircraft industry [not sure of the name, black, closed cell foam type stuff] and a headliner. It was 40 degree's different. Then I tested my 53 F100 with two layers of the "jute" backed foil. I put the first layer in with the foil toward outside and then was told by many that was the wrong way, so I intalled a second layer with the foil to the inside. It has a Rod Doors ABS plastic headliner. It also tested at a 40 degree difference. Of course, what I don't know is what a effect a headliner will have on the 40, I hope for the better.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

I later did a test with some foil sandwiched bubble stuff a guy on the Hamb sells [lobucrod] and although I expected very little, I was impressed and bought some. It was as effective at temp reduction as the Lizard Skin and B-Quiet together. Any future attempts at insulation from me will include Lizard Skin and this foil product. I really like the way the LZ coats everything and creats a seal. It for sure works to quiet the interior of the vehicle, although I was not impressed as to temp reduction. Of course, I do not have it on as thick as they recomend. Joe

Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Good info Joe, thanks!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:37 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Yeah good info Joe. I was wondering was that lobucrod as good as advertised. Thanks

Quick Reply: Lizard Skin / Bed liner