Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

lug stud replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Junior User

proudtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
lug stud replacement

on my 1999 f-250 powerstroke truck one of the lug studs broke off passenger front rotor. my question is do I have to mess with the 4x4 to take off the rotor. your input will be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Post Fiend

bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
Nah, the rotor hat just slides off after you pull the caliper, but the studs are not seated in the rotor, they are seated in the unit bearing assembly. It is a little more involved to take off. Not complicated, just time consumming.
PAA MEMBER # 7.3, 99.5 CC,4X4,SB, leveled,live tuned by Jody,1.15 van turbo w ATS housing,6.0 IC,AFE big boost filter, Petes Armour,fuel bowl delete,black MBRP stacks, 02 headlights,F650 dash, 16x10 MT wheels, 35" tires,and a bunch other stuff that wont fit in my sig. 425K and counting.

Last edited by bdrummonds; 01-29-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Junior User

proudtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Nah, the rotor hat just slides off after you pull the caliper, but the studs are not seated in the rotor, they are seated in the unit bearing assembly. It is a little more involved to take off. Not complicated, just time consumming.
but a first time truck owner can do it you think
Old 01-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Elder User

bandlgeorge is starting off with a positive reputation.
proud truck. I just finished replacing 4 of mine that broke off. It's easy to do. You will need a 21mm socket to lossen the caliper, a lug wrench, jack to lift it up, and a brass hammer. About a 1 beer job, if you stretch it out. Just break loose your lug nuts, remove the wheel and loosen the top caliper mounting bolt (21mm). Then remove the bottom bolt so you can rotate the caliper out of the way and remove the rotor. There is your access to the studs. On my '02, I had to insert the new studs from the back side of the axle because the dust/debris metal piece that protects the rotors had a small relief cut there that allowed this. Line up your broken stud with this area and gently but firmly tap with a BRASS hammer outside in to remove the stud. Next, get your replacement stud and insert from the back trying to make sure the "teeth" that are near the head engage with the ones in the hole. Gently tap the new stud partially into place, just enough so that it won't dislodge when you are bumping against it to replace the rotor and the wheel Revers all steps to re-assemble and don't forget to tighten BOTH caliper bolts! Replace wheel and tighten wheel studs. When you tighten, you will notice your new one is still short a bit. Slowly wrench down on it with your lug wrench and it will seat the new stud into place. On my '02 I neede about three threads past the rim for it to be completely seated, but you will know when it is because it will be tight. Don't forget to check your lug nuts after a day or so of trying to make sure everything seated fine and re-torque if necessary. Part number for the wheel stud on my '02 F350 was F81Z1107AC

http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...ts&searchAll=1

Make sure what size yours are. Mine are 3.125" (3 and 1/8") long and all the auto parts stores had were 2.875" lengths. Had to go directly to dealer with MSRP of $8.12 each. If yours are short (2 and 7/8"), I have a few extra new ones that I can't return and would be glad to send to you. Let me know.
2002 CC LB 4x4 Lariat 7.3 PSD AT 285/75R16 BFG A/T "E" level kit, 6637 filter, DP F5 w/ stock, no-start, 40t, 80t, hi-idle, 80e, DiPricol gauges w/ trans, pyro, boost, OBA, Tru-Cool trans cooler, W-Wheel
Next mod: 4" turbo-back exhaust
Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Elder User

brwolfjr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think the 99 and 02's have different thread counts as well.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Elder User

Good point. Wasn't sure of that myself. brwolfjr, how do you like your winter tires? just picked up a set of spare lariat rims with tires for $150 and looking to get a winter set of M/T's eventually. Torn between the Toyo and BFG. How many miles have you got on them?
2002 CC LB 4x4 Lariat 7.3 PSD AT 285/75R16 BFG A/T "E" level kit, 6637 filter, DP F5 w/ stock, no-start, 40t, 80t, hi-idle, 80e, DiPricol gauges w/ trans, pyro, boost, OBA, Tru-Cool trans cooler, W-Wheel
Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Elder User

brwolfjr is starting off with a positive reputation.
So far so good. I put them on for plowing only, not that I've seen snow yet. This is my second season with them and they worked great last year. They replaced a set of GY MTR's. Mileage is unknown because I switch tires depending on season. But if I had to guess 5k and they still look new.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Too old to be too smart..

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Not a good idea to be hammering those studs in and out.

There's some pretty-expensive bearings that you're going to be putting flat-spots on.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 01-31-2008, 12:09 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Not a good idea to be hammering those studs in and out.

There's some pretty-expensive bearings that you're going to be putting flat-spots on.

Pop
Unfortunately I had already done the deed before you gave that advice the first time. It was either that or a $600 tow. Good info for the OP though. How hard is it to pull off the hub assembly Pop?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Too old to be too smart..

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Guzzle has a very comprehensive write-up on doing them.
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/nblube.html

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 02-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Elder User

Pop- I didn't see in guzzle's write up how to remove those old wheel studs? You had said something before about that. What was it you recommended?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Senior User

Diesel Newb is starting off with a positive reputation.
So the picture below shows where I'm at. 4 broke studs & 4 slightly bent studs. How in the world do I get these things out? The Ford Shop Manual I have says to "use a suitable press to remove it from the disc brake rotor" I'm assuming they mean the hub. Do I really need a press? I don't want to damage anything with a hammer but I'm a bit up a creek here.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
A pitman arm puller might do the trick. You would have to cut the longer studs down a bit so the tool can fit.

When I changed my front hub units, I can't remember if it came with new studs or if I had to press out the old ones and reuse...
Old 10-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Newb View Post
So the picture below shows where I'm at. 4 broke studs & 4 slightly bent studs. How in the world do I get these things out? The Ford Shop Manual I have says to "use a suitable press to remove it from the disc brake rotor" I'm assuming they mean the hub. Do I really need a press? I don't want to damage anything with a hammer but I'm a bit up a creek here. ....
I gotta ask...

How in the heck did you manage to do that much damage to the studs? Was the truck in a accident? Is the wheel OK? Replacing the hub units might be an easier task....
Old 10-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Ford With Out Tax Money

snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
that is not good, what all did it damage?
i say new hub will be better and way faster.
Matt PAA #117 99.5 F-250 XLT CC SWB 4x4 4R100 Warn M12000 GPR-LED. Foil Delete. 6637. 0.50. AC. Isspro Dual Pyrometer. AeroForce. FRx. HPx. DIY SS Fuel Lines. 03 HeadLights. 4" SS Exhaust. 6.0L Trans Cooler. BTS Tunes. Custom Lighted Tuner. IH Up Pipes. EPBV Delete. AIH delete. Isspro Boost Trans. Van Turbo WW2.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:51 PM