Notices

Can someone help with this Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 PM
tg150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone help with this Mod.

Hello everyone, My 1st post and id like to say hello to everyone and ty to all replys in advance.
I saw this really cool mod for my truck today. http://www.f150store.com/Shop/ViewPr...eIndexID=65318 There L.E.D safety lights that you mount under your door and projects a beam of light on the ground at night. In instructions it says to tap into courtesy lights in the door (if you have them) or (if not) underneath the dash lights which we dont have either. Then it said if neither are avail to tap into the dome lights, Red wire on Red, Black on Black but i dont wanna go through all the trouble of wiring these L.E.D's ALL way to the domes. My question is: Is there another easier place i can wire these L.E.D's to simplify my life like maybe a fuse etc?There must be somewhere else we can wire them to. TY for any and all reply's. BTW my truck is a 2004 F150 Lariat.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:21 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Those are interesting looking!
I installed some puddle lamps for my open doors but not those.

I also don't have the courtesy lights In the door. But I was able to tap in to the circuit along the back cab wall for my Street Glow side-light bars. I have a few pics on the bottom of a thread I started. You can see I used the Amber side of the circuit...(the side-lights are dual colors) but I'll be switching it to the "white" circuit.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...y-install.html

Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Since our dome lights come on when we open the doors, there should be a switch somewhere near the door that I would like you could tap into. You would have to look at a EVTM (Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual), it has all the connectors and wiring for your vehicle and see how the dome light works with the doors.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:08 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Its actually in the door latch.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:49 PM
tg150
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Twinsdad98
Since our dome lights come on when we open the doors, there should be a switch somewhere near the door that I would like you could tap into. You would have to look at a EVTM (Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual), it has all the connectors and wiring for your vehicle and see how the dome light works with the doors.
Ty for replying. Unfortunatley i dont have a EVTM to find the the wiring to see how the dome lights work nor do i know where the switch is when you open the door. Theres gotta be a simple way..ty very much

Old 01-29-2008, 09:27 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
Go here for your schematics. Both user name AND the password is "library". Click on AARC to get in.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:39 PM
tg150
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Go here for your schematics. Both user name AND the password is "library". Click on AARC to get in.
go where? I dont see a link or anything to click on. thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:37 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tg150
Ty for replying. Unfortunatley i dont have a EVTM to find the the wiring to see how the dome lights work nor do i know where the switch is when you open the door. Theres gotta be a simple way..ty very much
The switch is built into the latch.

Depending on which cab configuration you have you should easily be able to...

a.) pick up the trigger wire out of the cable tray that goes Under the door sills and chase a new wire in the door which isn't too bad of a task if you have fishtape or a straightened coat-hanger wire.

b.) go after the org/grn wire (I'll double check) that should already be going through the door for the latch.

or
c.) pick up the trigger wire off of the back cab wall. (which should be a org/grn- I'll also double check)

Old 01-30-2008, 12:45 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
Sorry...I forgot to put in the link...

http://www.bedlib.org/ebsco.html

Old 01-30-2008, 03:57 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
See if this will help. It should be going to the door ajar switches (aka:latches). Also, if it didn't come in clear- its coming from the GEM (behind the left side of the dash).

Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM
tg150
Freshman User
[QUOTE=BPofMD]Sorry...I forgot to put in the link...

http://www.bedlib.org/ebsco.html[/QUOTE]
WOW ty so much for the schematics. What i got from it, it looks like its a black/light blue wire that runs along the door sill possibly on the drivers side. Am i correct? or is there a black/light blue wire on both sides of the truck,or just the one? Once i locate it, do i tap both lights into the one wire (im useing 2 lights)? And whats the best method? T-Taps, Cut some of the covering off and wind the wires of the lights around it and electrical tape? What do you suggest is best. TY

Old 01-30-2008, 07:33 PM
tg150
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 99Trigger3_0
The switch is built into the latch.

Depending on which cab configuration you have you should easily be able to...

a.) pick up the trigger wire out of the cable tray that goes Under the door sills and chase a new wire in the door which isn't too bad of a task if you have fishtape or a straightened coat-hanger wire.

b.) go after the org/grn wire (I'll double check) that should already be going through the door for the latch.

or
c.) pick up the trigger wire off of the back cab wall. (which should be a org/grn- I'll also double check)
hello ty for replying. After looking at BPofMD's schematics it looks like it might be a black/light blue wire instead. Please correct me if im wrong. It also looks like its on the drivers side possibly running along the door sills. Would thats be the only wire or is there 1 running along the passanger side also? If not im guessing id tap both my LED's to this one wire? (im useing 2 lights). Whats the best method to tap into this wire? T-taps, remove some of the covering and wind the LED wires around it and cover it with electrical tape? Please make suggestions. ty again

Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
I Used the grn/org wire and ran off of that for my trigger since my mod didn't require me to mount in the door. The easiest/cleanest spot I could do a splice was to follow it up the cab wall.

You could either go with a inline (clamp) splice or cut then solder with heat shrink maybe even stripping/sliding some of the sheathing back and soldering to that. You won't too much room for a T-tap to sit comfortably for a long term mod within that wire-way under the door sill.