Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Washington Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: GruesomeJeans

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2008, 10:58 PM
New User

seanp1668 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question looking for help with my 72 f100

HELP!
I recently dropped a 352 in my truck and it's got bad bearings and low oil pressure once it warms up. I'm not ready to give up on my restore project yet though I look at this as a minor but expensive set back. I've never rebuilt an engine before but, look forward to learnig. I've already put a lot of work into this truck and have grown attatched to it. If I can find a reliable motor in my budget I will probably consider that first. I'm not looking to build a hot rod I just want a good running pick up. I've even considered dropping a 300 6 cylinder in it. I live in lynnwood, if anyone knows of someone in that area I could talk to about motors or some work I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 02:01 AM
Postmaster

Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.Placermike has a very good reputation on FTE.
There are different ways you can go, depending on how much money and how much time you are willing to spend.

- Find a working motor, and drop it in yourself, or with help Would be cheapest

- Buy a remanufactured...Would cost and take your time, but more reliable than the above.

- Go to a mechanic and have him drop in a remanufactured... Probably the best bet, if you want something reliable, and do not do the work.

- Blueprint the motor and do it yourself...This woud be the choice if you want to learn the process... Is expensive, because you will have to depend on a machine shop and buy the parts. Not to mention the time involved in putting it together and dropping it in.

This is the option I chose, but the machine shop work was about 1600, the parts amounted to about 5000. Note: I did make it a performance motor with parts from Summit, and I had the motor balanced. Not to mention a Holley 4160 750 cfm and Edlebrock intake combo for the supply. There were a few other non motor things I invested in, but the bottom line was it ran me about 9500 to put a '85 302 in a '68 F100...That does not even count the hours that I put in.

Heck, I only paid 500 for the truck, and it was running.

Good Luck!...Projects are fun, but can cost a bit.

EClampus Vitus Major WM Downie 1849

Last edited by Placermike; 01-29-2008 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:36 AM
New User

seanp1668 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

thanks, I'm sure I'm in for an adventure
Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
A 300-6 would be a different bell housing-
You can get 360s and 390s off Craigslist for under $500. I've been shopping for one lately, but my budget is a bit below that, and a bit below what I have found any for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport
but i can't tell you where i am, i don't want the nice men in the white suits and hug me jackets finding me
Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 PM