2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:17 PM
mendeldl
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Problem

My 2005 XLT will not go into 4X4 hi or low. When I turn the switch nothing happens in the drive train nor do any of the indicator lights on the dash turn on. I've tried it in Drive/park/neutral for Hi, and in Neutral for low and same issue. I see lots of posts with IWE suggestions and vacuum line suggestions as causes of 4x4 problems. With my symptoms listed, what seems like the most likely cause? The problem manifested itself yesterday when I was in the mountains and needed 4x4 in the snow. Today its about 45 degrees and same indications.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Etta-Ford
Freshman User
If you are putting it in Hi, you shouldn't have to do anything as far as putting in park or neutral, you only have to do that with 4 low. I used to have a 05 with kind of the same problem. Try to do it while your truck is on level ground, that might help.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:08 PM
mendeldl
Freshman User
Yep, it has been on level ground everytime. I just mentioned the gear positions becuase oftern times folks on the forum will ask that. Also, another thing I forgot to mention is that there are no unusual noises or clunks or anything like that. My guess is it's an actuator/solenoid problem. I checked all the fuses and they are good and visual inspection of the vacuum lines doesn't reveal anything. The vacuum lines are not loose either.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:24 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
you could have a loose wire underneath somewhere I'd check around the shift motor on the transfercase,or the shift motor for the transfer case could be bad.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
It's a pretty complex system, and I'm willing to bet there's a trouble code stored for it somewhere. Most times codes with these systems will not throw the check engine light because it would not interfere with emmissions testing.

I'd either take it to a dealer or a good shop who can diagnose it properly.

Also...it could always be the switch!

Old 01-27-2008, 05:52 PM
mendeldl
Freshman User
And, I just (5 Min ago) put my code scanner on the truck and it comes back clean.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Joe04F150
Senior User
I might be wrong here but my understanding of the system is it keeps the hubs unlocked with vacum so if your solenoid is not working then your hubs would be locked and you would be able to use your 4wd. I would check the switch as suggested above. I've had allot of problems with my 4wd in the last few months, I've had both IWE's replaced, solenoid and just recently had to have the seals behind the hubs changed because when it would get cold moisture in the system was freezing and locking up my hubs.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM
mcalton
New User
My truck did the same thing yours is doing. Turn the switch and nothing. I took it to the dealer and they found a code for the 4X4 shift motor on the transfer case. They replaced the shift motor and the system has been trouble free for the last 15K miles.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Your code scanner may not pull the 4x4 codes, since most scanner are strictly for PT and not other sub systems. Just make sure your scanner will pull any 4x4 codes. IF a dealer does the 4x4 self test, it'll tell you what's wrong, but check the obvious, switch, pwoer to the t-case, solenoid, etc..

Old 01-28-2008, 03:31 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe04F150
I might be wrong here but my understanding of the system is it keeps the hubs unlocked with vacum so if your solenoid is not working then your hubs would be locked and you would be able to use your 4wd. I would check the switch as suggested above. I've had allot of problems with my 4wd in the last few months, I've had both IWE's replaced, solenoid and just recently had to have the seals behind the hubs changed because when it would get cold moisture in the system was freezing and locking up my hubs.
Did you have to pay for all those replacement parts that they changed on a guess? IF so, how much $$$?

Like Joe04F150 and everyone else was saying.... sounds more like the switch or shift motor. The solenoid will/could cause some problems, but I had to replace my solenoid, and it had completly different symptoms.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:54 PM
ranger88a
Elder User
If the lights on the dash don't come on, it's more than likely the shift motor. The Iwe's don't have anything to do with the lights on the dash.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Joe04F150
Senior User
Originally Posted by MBBFord
Did you have to pay for all those replacement parts that they changed on a guess? IF so, how much $$$?.
My right hub went early 07 first and that was still under warranty, then a couple months ago my left side was grinding, that cost me $450, work was done at the dealer by an off duty tech. Then the cold weather came and my hubs would start to bind up so i had to drive around in 4 high until things warmed up. At that time my solenoid was replaced with the new updated version (has a plastic hood on it) that cost $16...the tech cleared the lines and hubs of any moisture and I was good until I drove it in the rain and or snow and then my hubs started binding up again on freezing mornings. Sooo I just had the seals replaced which cost $320 and it's been fine since "but" we haven't had any rain or snow yet....

Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Reno348
New User
My o4 fx4 did the same thing over mud, slush and water,could not get it in.So layed out my jacket and climbed underneath with a hammer, tap,tap,tap.Went up and tried it and it went into 4 low. Many of truck I have changed out to manual hubs. I would on this truck to if it were not for a switch insted of a shift ****.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 PM
mendeldl
Freshman User
Just to make things real interesting we had a snow storm today and I really wanted the 4X4. We live in hills and aside from the snow there was a lot of ice underneath. Anyway I flicked the switch about a hundred times hoping it was an intermittent thing. No luck and no 4X4. After work tonight I got in the truck and flicked the switch and for the first time since the beginning of the weekend, it went into 4X4 hi. Of course the roads were bare and wet by then...

So this appears intermittent and from the posts I've seen the most likely suspect is water intrusion into the vacuum system. Does that sound right?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking I have moisture in my vacuum lines as well.
I have driven on many wet roads, washed/pressure washed the truck many times, gone in the mud several times, and I have never had a problem with the 4wd.
Until last weekend. I went through a 'little' mud (I've gone through muchMUCH worst) where I went hunting. I stoped at a car wash right after I got into town, cleaned everything, and drove a good 45 minutes and then the hub started grinding(like the vacuum system wasn't working properly)..... I guess it could have something to do with the cold or moisture or both..., but it has been much colder and has gotten wet many times, so why this time?

What I would give to have a manual shift and hubs!!!!