General Automotive Discussion

More money than brains

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
More money than brains

Why is it that a good number of those with big car collections always have more money than brains.

For example this guy is telling me now that hes been pouring gas down carbs longer than ive had my certifications to be a mechanic (which he also thinks a mechanic and a technican are the same thing) and that its not dangerous to do. Well I have in my shorter period messing with cars than this old man has but I have seen fires get started by a backfire after pouring fuel down the throat of a carb.

But I just want to know how do these people end up with more money than brains, surely they dont earn it considering their ignorance. Do they come into money through marriage or inhertance or what.

I seriouslly want to know cause this guy here is like a splinter under the skin, just irritating always popping up slinging comments towards you even though youve been ignorning him.

he also is obnoxious, god I hate people like that, going to extreme lengths to brag about their vehicles and then bitch like a little child cause someone dont like what they have. Hes still after 2 months still bragging bout his 67 Camaro Pace car which was actually used in the 67 indy 500 race as the pace car. I doubt that chevrolet wouldnt have it in their musuem like other firsts for their models.

lmao wow carb fires dont happen nor are they dangerous but yet I found one that happened from a backfire. Looks pretty dangerous to me since its getting bigger and bigger lol.

Last edited by TigerDan; 01-04-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Video removed due to language
Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Two words:

Chevy. Owners.

Jason

Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jroehl
Two words:

Chevy. Owners.

Jason
lol yep, I hate some times owning a chevy because its like most other chevy owners play the whole age card. This guy that is like a splinter under the skin is very irritating with trying to brag about his collection. I try to be nice but he keeps on and on I just want to say

"who ****ing cares, I am not impressed with your first gen camaro collection, I think its ****ing stupid to have ten camaros of the same exact year. I also dont care about your supposedly 67 Camaro pace car that you claim to be used at the 1967 indy 500 race as the pace car."

I mean I know all with money arent so abbrasive but I just need to vent about these idiots that has more money than brains. He put up a video of his 67 Z28 camaro showing off wheel hop, I am thinking **** put biasply tires on my 78 mercury cougar like you did on that Z28, i bet mine would wheel hop as well with the ****ty traction those tires give.

but I have seen a car burn up to nothing because the owner poured fuel down the carb it backfired when he was cranking it caught the carb on fire as well as the hood insulation pad. By time he got out of the car and got the fire extinguisher it was already too late. I mean yea lots of people do it but it is dangerous and I honestly dont see why people do it, if its been sitting 30 years smart thing to do would be to run a line from the fuel pump to a can of gasoline. If you cant get the car to crank without pouring gas down the carb, your carb is clogged up get the thing rebuilt. But naw im 57 years old and been doing this for years, ill just pour gas down the throat of my 70 1/2 camaro thats been sitting 25 - 30 years with only 1,100 orignal miles on it. It sucks to know that a nice surviving car in mint condition thats low miliage had the engine screwed up and was put at risk by pouring fuel down the carb. I doubt he pulled the dist and spun the oil pump to coat the bearings again. I doubt he squirted some oil in each cylinder to lubricate them to prevent the rings running dry. I bet he just got in pour gas down the clogged messed up carb and just cranked it over, wearing and scratching the bearings and cylinder walls.

This is the video here. given i like the second gen over the first, I just cant believe someone his age wont listen to reason. But what should I expect from someone that keeps gasoline in a plastic drinking water bottle which isnt even designed to hold gasoline.

YouTube - 1970 Z28...1100 miles

Personally if it was me, if it started then stalled out while pumping the throttle after starting with fuel down the throat of the carb, I would stop right there pull the carb and either have it rebuilt/rebuild it, or junk it and buy a new one. Its obvious the carb is either clogged up sitting 36 years or the fuel pump is shot.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.....really.....

Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Really on what part? Or just sarcasim? Little hard to tell online.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:51 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Really hard to tell if this is a rant about someone you don't like or a truck post in the wrong forum!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by horsepuller
Really hard to tell if this is a rant about someone you don't like or a truck post in the wrong forum!
lol nope just a rant, I was using this latest guy as an example. I keep running into these guys that have money and buy their vehicles already fixed up but then want to act like they know more than others just because they are older than they are.

I can understand if a person has a true passion for the automotive hobby but it just gets on my nerves when people verbally lash out at others just because they have different tastes than they do or dont see eye to eye, or and this is higher up on my list, they try to impress you with the cars they have.

If I wasnt so focused on being nice towards the guy so he looks like the ***, I would tell him straight out a person is obsessive if most of the cars in their collection is the same year/make/model. I mean really now who needs 10 different 67 camaros. who needs a 70 1/2 camaro that has only 1,100 miles on it orignally and sat for 30ish years. Its almost as bad as those trailer queens you see where most of all those cars only get drove on and off the trailer and the ones that dont, doesnt even have a engine in them, just one of those fake blocks to make it look like everything is there.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the good lord looks after fools and idiots so that should answer how these guy's got money ...................... p.s ever heard the term"GOLD CHAINER"

Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 f350
p.s ever heard the term"GOLD CHAINER"
no. what's it mean?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
i have no idea joe.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
i have more brains the money!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Yeah let's dump some gas down the carb and then rev the crap out of it wooo!

I remember when we were trying to start my dad's old plymouth reliant after it had been sitting for about 8 months. It was a 2.2L TBI engine. My dad dumped gas down the throttle body to get it started. It didn't like that very much.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
this is a prime example why i don't go on forums like this!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ghunt
Yeah let's dump some gas down the carb and then rev the crap out of it wooo!

I remember when we were trying to start my dad's old plymouth reliant after it had been sitting for about 8 months. It was a 2.2L TBI engine. My dad dumped gas down the throttle body to get it started. It didn't like that very much.

Yep, few months back I even asked him if he did anything before he poured gas down the carb and started cranking. He wont answer so apparently he didnt pull the dist and spin the oil pump so 35 or so years sitting those bearings were dry on start up, god knows the cylinder walls were dry. Probably has the same oil in it from when its parked.

Sure you can pour gas down a carb if its the last resort, but sheesh he was pouring way too much and then I had to laugh, really gasoline in a waterbottle.

Ignorance like this wouldnt bug me so much if they would be open to the thought that maybe they dont know and listen to what others are telling them. Its just like how he doesnt see how calling a automotive technican a mechanic is not an insult. Yea go up to a chef working at a five star restraunt and call him a elementary school cook, see if he gets offended at that cause its doing the same thing.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gold chainer is a person with more money than brains who has the vehicle built for them then acts like they know what the hades they're doing or built it and don't have a clue .that's the best explanation i can give ......................... oh and rusty i have been known to be really brutal on demo cars that have been sitting untouched for a few months , i'm not really concerned about them on startup . if they let go we'd go find another .

Quick Reply: More money than brains