EBPV Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:05 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EBPV Dead?

Hey Guys,

I just got home from a trip from hell coming back down the mountain from skiing. It was almost blizzard conditions, cold as it ever gets around here, and when we got off the mountain road to get on the freeway, they had it closed because of the snow! The alternate route was a twisty two-lane highway across the boarder, and we got 20 miles out on that and came to a complete stop; there were wrecks all over in front of us, so there was no getting around it. We decided to turn around and head back the way we came, go all the way back up the mountain, and take an alternate route home when we found out they opened the freeway back up. When all was said and done, it took us 6 hours to get home from a trip that usually takes less than two.

The truck did great the whole way, except when we stopped for some food before we hit the freeway, I noticed a loud noise through the intake at part-throttle or when I would let off the gas under load as we were pulling out of the parking lot. If I'd get on it, or coast in neutral, it wouldn't do it. It was the loudest between 1100 and 1500 rpms. I also noticed I would get a burst of power when I stepped on the gas and the noise would go away. From the few posts I've read, it sounds like my EBPV crapped out. I'll probably just disconnect it since no one seems to have any issues doing so, but I wanted to see if you guys agreed with my diagnosis.

Also, I know I've seen a picture or diagram of where you unplug the valve, but does anyone have a link handy?

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2008, 01:14 AM
kawa
Postmaster
SHOpar:
I don't have the link but it the onky wire behind the turbo. I think there are two wires into the single plug. Look back there, you'll see it. I'm betting that someone will comi up with a pix before daylight.

If Action sees your request he come up with a pix. That guy has pix of everything, I heard that he has a Pix of the Queen taking a dump. lol

Rog

Old 01-27-2008, 07:10 AM
WALJON
Posting Guru

The plug is under your orange intake hose attached to your turbo,the plug is attached to the bottom right side of the turbo like said it is a 2 plug wire

Old 01-27-2008, 07:17 AM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it went away when you got on the throttle the EBPV is working properly. How long was the truck turned off for? If I remeber correctly it reads IAT and EOT to operate the EBPV. With it being cold out depending on the off time it could have cooled enuf to be calling for it to close.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:12 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by 79_250RangerLariat
If it went away when you got on the throttle the EBPV is working properly. How long was the truck turned off for? If I remeber correctly it reads IAT and EOT to operate the EBPV. With it being cold out depending on the off time it could have cooled enuf to be calling for it to close.
The problem is that it kept making the noise the rest of the night, all the way home. The truck was off for maybe 15 minutes before it started making the noise, and then was driven about 70 miles home, making the noise all the way. It wasn't that cold, and it was actually raining and just wet by the time I got home. Maybe the IAT sensor got frozen up or something?

Old 01-27-2008, 02:31 PM
SHOpar
Senior User
I just took the truck out for a quick drive this morning to see if it would still make the noise, and it didn't, neither when it was cold or fully warmed up, so who knows what the deal was last night. Last night it certainly sounded like an engine brake on a semi, and it sounded like the noise was coming from the intake.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it, and chock last night up to hours of idling or driving really slow in blizzard-like conditions; maybe something got froze up from all of the water and snow. At one point during the trip, I had to get out and knock all the snow off the hood - it just kept piling up, even when idling or driving around!