Whipple 2300 / F350 / V10 / only 2psi

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:53 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whipple 2300 / F350 / V10 / only 2psi

Hi Folks,

I have gotten a little impatient waiting for a reply from Whipple. They were very helpful for a short period of time but then just seemed to fade out on me with support. I'm sure they are very busy but, I would like to get this sorted out.

I have a Whipple 2300 in my 2002 - F350 / V10. For a few weeks now I have only been getting 2 psi max under load. For the first time last night when running up a steep grade and nearly flooring it the malfunction indicator light came on with what I think was 2 flashes. I think it was one flash then a short flash or it could have been simply 2 flashes. I was concentrating on the road and the indicator is mounted low on the dash so I only caught it from the corner of my eye. (time to move the indicator upto the pillar gauge pod)

The communication I have had with Whipple has gotten me the following quote:
-------------------------------
The Whipple Computer controls a vacuum switch that is connected to the bypass system if the Whipple computer fails or is disconnected the switch will not operate the bypass will not close at wide open throttle and you will only get about 2lb of boost if this happens

so you need to check out the solenoid. I have attached some pdf files that shows how it works<O</O

END QUOTE
---------------------------------

Then I sent them an email asking them where the solenoid is on my Truck (I included photos for them marking where I figured it was installed because the pdf files they sent me were obviously for a completly different application). I also asked them how to test the solenoid and or the Whipple EFI.

It's been about a week now since I sent them the last E-Mail so needless to say I'm getting a little impatient to get this sorted out. I also just sent them another E-Mail about the malfunction indicator light flashes so maybe I'll hear back from them soon,,, But from what I've seen so far I'm not going to hold my breath and thought I should ask here just incase someone here might be able help.

Rick

Old 01-28-2008, 05:13 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Upload photos of the supercharger to your gallery here and we can point it out.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:50 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW I concur with their diagnosis. I have an emergency override that opens my bypass and my manifold pressure will drop from 17psi to about 1 just about instantaneously.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:25 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Sorry about the delay. Work is keeping down... Thanks for the replies...

I gave Whipple an honest shot at making good on product support, but they really dropped the ball on me. It wasn't like I was sending emails everyday. For three weeks or so I was trying to keep it down to one per week for a total of maybe 3 or 4 emails and one of them was a re-send after waiting almost a week for a reply. It is obvious that they really had no interest in helping me out to the end to get my blower running properly. Anyway,,, I gave up on them. Thier loss I guess,,, In the last week I was asked if I was happy with my blower by a co-worker who is in the market for a blower for his mustang,,, all I could tell him was to avoid Whipple simply because of the slow and fizzling out after sale tech support I was getting.

A side Note:
The fellow in sales at Whipple (Michael M) was terrific on the phone and by email. He really did seem to go out of his way help me out. He was able help me out finding part numbers and other info with a friendy attitude. It was when he turned tech support on me that support fizzled out.

---------------------------------------------
And now back to the blower issue:

Below is part of the last message from Whipple (Jan/28)

If the light starts flashing every time you go wide open throttle
then the bypass will open see #(3)

it should still make some boost before this happens though so I think you have more than 1 problem
You should try to bypass the boost solenoid to see if it will make boost

Disconnect the line from the vacuum solenoid (boost sol) to the bypass servo
plug the line back to the boost sol
leave the port on the bypass servo open
test drive and see if you get any more boost
if the light flashes when you run it up please reduce power

Below is part of my last message to them: (Jan/29)

I’m pretty sure I follow your (boost solenoid) TEST,,, except, (looking at the VAC DIA .pdf) when you say “BYPASS SERVO” do you mean the “DUAL PORT ACUATOR” as shown in the pdf you sent me?
(PHOTO ATTACHED showing what I figure you’re talking about)

Here's the photos I sent them with my last message I sent:

I want to try to bypass the boost solenoid as they suggested but I'm still trying to figure out which line to disconnect. The last thing I want to do is disconnect the wrong one and cause more problems.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:43 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Update on Whipple Support...

Update on Whipple Support:

I heard back from Whipple a couple of days ago (Michael M - sales) after I sent another E-Mail about ordering a new dual port actuator for the blower. Apparently Whipples E-Mail server was down for a couple weeks right around the time when I sent my last message to tech support. That would obviously explain not hearing back back them.
Hopefully I'll get this blower running properly some time soon.

Rick...

RE:
I gave Whipple an honest shot at making good on product support, but they really dropped the ball on me. It wasn't like I was sending emails everyday. For three weeks or so I was trying to keep it down to one per week for a total of maybe 3 or 4 emails and one of them was a re-send after waiting almost a week for a reply. It is obvious that they really had no interest in helping me out to the end to get my blower running properly. Anyway,,, I gave up on them. Thier loss I guess,,, In the last week I was asked if I was happy with my blower by a co-worker who is in the market for a blower for his mustang,,, all I could tell him was to avoid Whipple simply because of the slow and fizzling out after sale tech support I was getting.

A side Note:
The fellow in sales at Whipple (Michael M) was terrific on the phone and by email. He really did seem to go out of his way help me out. He was able help me out finding part numbers and other info with a friendy attitude. It was when he turned tech support on me that support fizzled out.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:14 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Update on Whipple Support...

Hi Folks,

Update:

Whipple tech has contacted me by phone (left messages for me at 2 different numbers I gave them a while back) and E-Mail. The tech fellow really made an effort to find me. We had a nice chat on the phone and we have exchanged a few E-Mails the past few days trying to get to the bottom of the "2psi" issue I'm having with my blower. Bottom line is at this point, Whipple is making a great effort to help me out.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Crummy 450
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to hear they didn't just forget about you. After sales support is a huge added value to any product purchase. I wonder if their IT guy got sacked?

Did your issue get sorted out?

Old 05-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Skoda
Elder User
Rick I got a quick qeustion for yea, how many MPG are you seeing?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM
meanv10
Elder User
I have the KB, and i see around 13.5 to 14 highway and 10 off road, and a little under when pulling big trailers. hope that helps
its premium though

Old 05-23-2008, 03:26 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Skoda,,,

Going by the on board computer (take it for what it is),,, if I make an effort to drive normal and smooth is get aprox: 9.4 to 10 mpg (City) and 10.2 to 12.9 mpg (HWY). When I push it a little I see 8.4 to 9 mpg (City) and 9 to 11 mpg (HWY). No towing to speak of yet.

Keep in mind that it's running with a 3.73 rear end and 38" Super Swampers. Yes it's a pig on fuel, but I always seem to get a charge out of it when I jump in it, fire it up and drive off. I have an '01 Montana for my daily driver so it takes the edge off when funds get tight and I'm feeling the pinch of fuel cost these days. The end of June I'm going on an extended back road trip with a few other Trucks so I'll be sure to keep an eye on the fuel consumption while touring the back roads and post the info for the V-10 Super Charged folks here. I'm expecting a 7 to 8 mpg range.

Rick

Originally Posted by Skoda
Rick I got a quick qeustion for yea, how many MPG are you seeing?

Old 06-07-2008, 04:24 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
EFI ordered

Hi Folks,

I contacted Whipple sales yesterday (Fri/June/06) and ordered a new EFI unit ($$$). Hopefully it will be programed and shipped Monday. He (Mike in sales) said it should only take 2 or 3days to get here, but I'm thinking Friday at best.
This is my last shot at getting beyond the 2 lbs boost. If this doesn't fix it then I guess the Truck goes to a perfomance shop and I miss out on my plans for a back roads trip the end of this month.
I'll be sure to post the out come after the EFI is installed.

Rick...