Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Senior User

cornbinder is starting off with a positive reputation.
codes on E4OD trans????

i've been having problems with my t/c unlocking and locking erratically. i went to michigan last week and the only time i had problems was when i hit bumps. other than that it was fine. i drove to the bank today and it unlocked and locked in o/d probably 40-50 times on a 35 mile round trip today. i ran the codes and a code 65 came up. tcs transmission control switch. i did a run test with engine running, it said the no change in tcs while running. what's the tcs? i've talked to 2 ford dealerships, one told me the gear shift handle with the overdrive harness, the other him hawed around. a transmission shop told me it's the neutral safety/transmission control switch. anybody got any awnsers??... ford tech guy? thanks, pete
Old 01-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Senior User

tradergem is starting off with a positive reputation.
I looked up code 65 in my Ford shop manual and it says that when you do a Key On Engine Run test if you don't push the Overdrive switch on and off once you will get a code 65. I believe TCS is another term for the Overdrive Cancel Switch. Jim
1990 F250 XLT 7.3L N/A E4OD 4X4 4:10 axle ratios
Old 01-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Posting Guru

dakotajeep is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dude
I am having the same issue. Mine seems to be partially related to the FIPL grounding out....but its probably not the same issue as you have.

Mine tends to only do it after the engine warms up and over 37mph or so...except I dont have any codes....

Thad

2003 F350 6.0 Lariat Crewcab 4x4 SRW X-Code Front Springs Currently running 285/75 16's BFG AT's, High Idle Mod, Cabela's Seat Covers and Hella 500's

193,700 miles and counting
Old 01-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Posting Guru

KJLYPW is starting off with a positive reputation.
The part where you say it mostly happened on bumps before now would make me think you have a loose or corroded connection in your electric system somewhere. Start by checking for loose connector plugs, disconnecting, a shot of contact cleaner or LPS 1 and reconnecting will often "clean" a dirty or corroded connector pin. The main plug on the drivers side of tranny would be a good place to start, also PCM connetor, harness to the shift lever (overdrive cancel button), FIPL etc.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:50 AM
Senior User

good idea, i'm gonna try that this morning. where's the pcm on this thing? thanks, pete
Old 01-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Senior User

i cleaned all the connections (sprayed with electrical connection cleaner) and plugged back in. havn't driven it any distance to see if that helped. only one i didn't do is the ecm connection. i'll update in a day or two when i drive it more.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Elder User

ford trans tech is starting off with a positive reputation.
tcs stands for transmission cancel switch , you need to perform a key on engine off test to retrieve any memory codes you cannot retrieve them during an engine running test and you must perform the test with the throttle at wide open
Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford trans tech
tcs stands for transmission cancel switch , you need to perform a key on engine off test to retrieve any memory codes you cannot retrieve them during an engine running test and you must perform the test with the throttle at wide open
yeah i did them both. i remember that now key on engine off go pedal to floor. code 65. then or the engine run test, turn steering wheel both ways, and it said the transmission control switch is not fluctuating like it should??
Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Elder User

code 65 shouldnt have appeared during the KOEO test it is an input check made during the KOER test , during the KOEO test the codes should have appeared as any hard faults or pass 11 then a 10 for seperator code and then any memory codes an example 11-10-29 11 pass no hard faults 10 the seperator code then 29 memory code, this system is finiky you must have teh vehicle prepared correctly before engaging the test or any memory codes will be lost , the most common failures that affect tcc cycling are the vehicle speed sensor or the fipl (TP SENSOR) what year and model is this vehicle
Old 01-31-2008, 08:11 PM
New User

Vertig0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Same thing. Kind of.

I have the code 65 problem too, but this is my issue:

I have a 92' f250 7.3 diesel - naturally aspirated (The banks sidewinder is sitting in the garage waiting) with the E4od, and the overdrive light is blinking on and off. This causes it to shift pretty hard as soon as it comes on (usually takes 5-20min from cold, instantly from warm for the light to start blinking). It shifts fine until then, and my fluid is staying nice and clear (not burning the transmission plates). I took it to a tranny shop, and 65 is the only code that popped up! I read in a couple places that it could be the switch was bad, so I replaced the O/D cancel switch, and it's still doing the same thing. No other codes came up, even though the light was blinking while he was doing the test. Any ideas on this one? The slamming into 2nd and 3rd doesn't bother me too much, but I'm a little worried that it's going to damage my transmission if I keep driving it like this, and it's my primary vehicle. I'd like to add that the truck has 180k miles, and I'm sure this is the original tranny, but it doesn't feel like it needs a rebuild when it's running right, and like I said: clear fluid even though I've put down hundreds on the OD since changing it. Thanks! -Tavin
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Elder User

code 65 is due to not cycling the o/d cancel switch during the key on engine running test , the trans shop should have performed a key on engine off test that is the test that must be performed to retrieve the memory codes
Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Senior User

The tranny shop should have cleared all of the old codes from the trans computer before you left the shop. Last summer when I was having E4OD problems I found out that I had to clear the codes from the trans computer using the code reader befor the tranny would start to shift correctly even after I had fixed all of the problems. Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 12:14 PM
New User

Yeah, but I think that's on OBD2 systems isn't it? I'm a 92' with OBD1, which is so basic, and I believe it doesn't even store codes/ most codes in memory. It doesn't start shifting funny or blinking until 5-20 minutes after I've driven it, and it's totally random. I believe it clears the codes at engine shut-down and only starts back at it again once the error is active and present? -Tavin
Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Senior User

Vertig0, The OBD1 system was used in Ford F series trucks until 1994. They were changed to the OBD2 system in late 1994 and 1995. Also the OBD1 system doesn't automatically clear codes when you shut the engine off. The Continuous Memory Codes are kept in a long term memory until cleared by using the code clearing procedure for the code reader you are using. Although, some people on hear say you can also clear the codes by disconecting the truck batteries. You are right in that the KOEO, and KOER test codes are cleared as soon as the truck is turned off. If you are having random symptoms I would look for bad intermitant connections in the wiring, or damage to the wiring. Also check the connections on both sides of the transmission because they are subjected to alot of water, dirt and heat. If your code reader allows the performance of a Wiggle Test, try it. I had a problem with a bad FIPL that tested good in the KOEO test, but would generate a Continuous Memory Code of 63 during a KOER test. I believe this was happening because the internal contacts of the FIPL were worn and were providing a intermitant signal to the tranny computer while being shakin around by the running engine. Good luck. Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 08:40 PM
New User

One more thing

I found this in an old post. It says these are the 4 main electrical problems with the e4od :

RPM sensor - located in the IP housing below and to the right of the oil fill spout; can set code 62/628; can cause no LU, or LU to cycle back and forth, and erratic shifts. May or may not set code 14/211 (rpm sensor failure)

FIPL sensor - located on the driver's side of the IP, attached to the Fuel Injection Pump Lever; can cause harsh engagements and shifts, upshifts late and harsh, no LU, and no 3 to 4 shift;

Vehicle speed sensor - located either in the tail of the trans. or in the top of the pumpkin on the diff.(I think the '92 has it in the diff.); can cause erratic shifts and LU problems; may or may not set code 29/452.

Manual Lever Position Sensor - located on driver's side of trans. at shift lever; can cause wrong gear starts, falls out of gear, no upshift, high line pressure causing harsh upshifts and engagements; may or may not set code 67/634.

Now, I have checked the MLPS, it looks brand new (better than my split knuckle did after pulling it out), and I replaced the speed sensor in the pumpkin, but I don't know which is the RPM or FIPL sensor. Is the reference to the IP housing meaning the Injector Pump? That would help and I'd go check now but it's dark and cold. I'll be at it tomorrow, and any input would help. Thanks!

Last edited by Vertig0; 02-04-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Realization
Old 02-04-2008, 08:40 PM