460 oil pan damage. Needs repair.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 10:26 PM
daywalker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have managed to damage the bottom of my 460 where the oil is. A sump pan or something? Oil pan? Very bottom of the engine and oil is dripping from it. I think I punctured a small crack or hole in the bottom of the pan because I have a slow drip from that spot.

Assuming that this is my only problem and that this hole is the only hole in the pan. I need to plug the hole. What should I use. Fiberglass, JB weld, Magnum Steel, silicone, weld, or is there any reason why this can't be fixed.

Also, if anybody knows, I did the same thing to my C6 transmission . Small hole in the bottom of the tranny and red tranny fluid is dripping out. What should I use to plug the holes with?

Thanks everybody.

Daywalker
92' F-250 351/ZF5spd
78' Lincoln 460/C6

Old 01-03-2002, 09:41 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster

To start, I'd pull both the engine and trans pans. You won't really know what the damage is until you pull them and clean them up. Then have the holes welded or brazed. With the temperatures of hot engine/trans oils and flexing of the sheet metal pans, that's the only sure way to repair them.

While you have the trans oil pan off, put a $5 drain plug in it to facilitate future trans oil changes.

Old 01-03-2002, 11:34 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May I ask how you did that? Sounds like your being pretty rough on your truck.:-staun

Old 01-04-2002, 08:44 PM
daywalker
Senior User

Well... Out where I live on a farm road there is a railroad crossing. The road kinda ramps up and then down at the railroad tracks. The advised speed is 20mph. I learned a while back that if I hit the tracks doing 50mph in the truck I could catch some air time. It being a F-250 HD 4x4, I had plenty of suspension toughness for the landing. So I got the bright idea to try it in my car. 1978 Lincoln Towncar with 460/C6. I hit the tracks doing about 65mph and catch about 1.5-2 seconds of air time. Then came the landing. BOOM. Bottomed out imediatly. First thing I heard was the engine. Apparently the landing knocked the exhaust pipes off the manifolds. As I was pulling in my driveway the engine light came on. When I crawled under the car, I saw the above damage. I had a serious drip for about a mile and half of both engine oil and tranny fluid. I didn't hear anything grinding so I hope I made it home in time, but we'll see. I think I finally learned that the car wasn't a truck.

I did get a better look under the car today. georgedavila: It seems that that is the only damage is to those two pans and the exhaust piping. So unless I have engine damage from a lack of oil this should be a quick fix. Thanks for your advice.

Daywalker
92' F-250 351 4x4 ZF5spd
78' Lincoln 460/C6

Old 01-04-2002, 11:12 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts