What,s the hp on a new 09 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:12 PM
REDFORDFX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irishammer
Suzuki0702....
There is no 4.2 v8.....4.6 2v, 4.6 3v and the 5.4 ...they have not released numbers yet on the 5.4 so that is your opinion....Opinions are like butts...everyone has one and most of them stink...
AH.
THE Ford release,
They said all V8 line up a 4.2 V8 is what they said it would
be direct from Ford! No more V6.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
two 4.6 L V8's and a 5.4 L the 4.6 will come 2 valve or 3

Old 01-25-2008, 06:55 PM
MM1281
Senior User
PHP Code:
Oh reallyYou'd get a whole different picture if you were actually in those trucks and not deaf. Have you ever towed in either with 9,000 lbs behind them? I have. While the Toyota does tow the load, it engine really winds up to do it. Toyota is accomplishing it but keeping the engine way up in the RPM range. You'll see your towing mileage drop through the floor while having to deal with louder cabin noiseAdditionallyon real roads the Toyota (GM does this as wellthere is  a lot  of body yaw and rockFord and Dodge perform much better due to better frames
I have not towed that much so I dont know about the noise you speak of. What difference does it make how high it winds up? Fords max torque comes higher in the powerband than the Toyota. I know the torque curve is what matters the most in everyday life too. Im also fully aware of the Toyota frame. My question is who in their right mind is going to tow 9K with a half ton anyway.

PHP Code:
Toyota left some things out of that video as wellSuch as they are using a 4.3 axle ratio to accomplish thatWhat you can't find anywhere on Toyota's site is the axle ratios of their competitors in the ad... quite tellingisn't it? 
Hey, run what ya brung and hope ya broght enough. I dont blame Toyota for pointing out how powerful their package is. Ford and the rest are two years behind with the 6 speed tranny. Too bad you cant get a 4.3 rear in a f150. All things being equal anyway the tundra will smoke a f150 loaded or unloaded.

PHP Code:
Toyota is very good at bogus comparisonsIn the see-saw They say "it's tough pushing 10,000 lbs up a steep grade" but the mice type says its a 5000lb loadAdditionallythe mice type says the trailer has electric brakesIn other wordsthe trailer stopped itselfnot the truck
How about the commercial with the f150 stopping a plane? Lets be honest here they are all out to toot their own horns no matter how stupid it may be. Lets not put all the blame on Toyota although they do share in the stupidity.

Ford is getting outpowered by everybody and its getting old. Its not even like they are close. They cant get the boss 6.2 out quick enough. The 5.4 has run its course and they cant squeeze much more out of it.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:15 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MM1281
I have not towed that much so I dont know about the noise you speak of. What difference does it make how high it winds up?
You answered your question in your second sentence with your statement in your first sentence.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 PM
MM1281
Senior User
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
You answered your question in your second sentence with your statement in your first sentence.
I understand your point but I would like to see some dyno graphs laid over one another. I bet there is not that much difference. 5.7>5.4 imo. The 5.4 puts down terrible hp numbers at the rear wheels where it counts. Torque may be a different deal though.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 PM
bluedevil3758
Senior User
Originally Posted by MM1281
Fords max torque comes higher in the powerband than the Toyota. I know the torque curve is what matters the most in everyday life too. Im also fully aware of the Toyota frame. My question is who in their right mind is going to tow 9K with a half ton anyway.
actually ford makes 290 tq at 1000 rpms toyota about 2800 rpms, see the point isnt where your max is or even how soon it is, its how long and how early you have a big percentage of your max tq available

Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 PM
ddl_cgy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bluedevil3758
actually ford makes 290 tq at 1000 rpms toyota about 2800 rpms, see the point isnt where your max is or even how soon it is, its how long and how early you have a big percentage of your max tq available
Unfortunately your information is wrong - the Tundra 5.7L makes 325 lb-ft of torque at 1000 RPM and is always above that value until engine redline is reached where it is still about 345 lb-ft.

This is from the official Toyota rating curve which now follows the revised SAE J1349 procedure.

Toyota (and now Ford) can get by with a low (numerically large) rear axle ratio as the six speed transmissions can cover a larger gearing range allowing a really low first ratio for off the line jump or towing plus a very high (numerically low) sixth gear for good mileage while cruising on the highway. It's much tougher to have such a larger gearing spread with only a four speed transmission as it would have to have quite a large change in ratio between gears so engine speed would really change between shifts.

DDL

Last edited by ddl_cgy; 01-25-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:12 AM
riverratt
New User
Thank you for clearing up the "5.4 produces more torque at lower RPMs" myth that is being perpetutated in this discussion. It makes you wonder where some people are pulling their facts from.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:53 AM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Originally Posted by irishammer
Suzuki0702....
There is no 4.2 v8.....4.6 2v, 4.6 3v and the 5.4 ...they have not released numbers yet on the 5.4 so that is your opinion....Opinions are like butts...everyone has one and most of them stink...
read the article about the release dummy. lol know the facts before you talk S### about somebody!

edit: heres copy and paste jeckarse look at the quote marks!

Base truck (work force) continues to be the XL and the top of the line is the Platinum.
New user friendly step built into tail-gate as option.
Best towing technology. Trailer controller not only applies brakes during towing, but also combines state of the art anti-sway technology. Both the truck and the trailers brakes are applied when the computer detects sway.
"

Engine line-up (all V8): 4.2L 2-valve V8 ___HP and ___ ft/lbs torque, 4.6L 3-valve V8 ___HP and ___ ft/lbs torque, 5.4L 3-valve V8 ___HP and ___ ft/lbs torque.

"
All automatic 6 speed transmissions with a 1 mpg improvement over the prior 4 speed.
No manual transmission option. Take rate on prior model was under 1%.
Diesel will be available for the 2010 model.

Last edited by suzuki0702; 01-26-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:24 AM
pukemon
Senior User
Talking

Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Oh really? You'd get a whole different picture if you were actually in those trucks and not deaf. Have you ever towed in either with 9,000 lbs behind them? I have. While the Toyota does tow the load, it engine really winds up to do it. Toyota is accomplishing it but keeping the engine way up in the RPM range. You'll see your towing mileage drop through the floor while having to deal with louder cabin noise. Additionally, on real roads the Toyota (GM does this as well) there is a lot of body yaw and rock. Ford and Dodge perform much better due to better frames.

Toyota left some things out of that video as well. Such as they are using a 4.3 axle ratio to accomplish that. What you can't find anywhere on Toyota's site is the axle ratios of their competitors in the ad... quite telling, isn't it?

No doubt the Toyota is a quicker, unloaded truck. I have doubts from my own experiences that its a more "capable" truck.

Toyota is very good at bogus comparisons. In the see-saw They say "it's tough pushing 10,000 lbs up a steep grade" but the mice type says its a 5000lb load. Additionally, the mice type says the trailer has electric brakes. In other words, the trailer stopped itself, not the truck.
in the see saw commercial guess what truck toted around that trailer? they forgot to show that an f150 brought that to the set and left with the f150 when done with the commercial. AAAND that load was too heavy for the toyota. they had to build some thingamajiggy to prop underneath the bed so it didn't look like the toyota was doing a wheelie. i know one of the camera guys that filmed that commercial and he rode the toyota and f150 and it was a night and day difference he said.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:09 AM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The New H.P Number's can't be that great , Which is why FORD said nothing.
Rush the release of the new truck with all the new flashy toys ect ,with weak power.
Do you think FORD has this super bad a** motor waiting , While they loose market share ?. Introduce a New model with old power that was allready behind the others, Not a great plan. You never get as much press as you do when a new model comes out, so why not use that to create a buzz over upcoming power options. But not FORD. People will just shop another brand. my .02

Old 01-26-2008, 01:33 PM
vee10td
Senior User
One of the 4.6Ls has 248, and it looks like the 5.4L went to 310 horsepower. The torque is up a bit,too, but I can't remember the exact numbers. Look in the March/April 2008 issue of Truck Trend.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:00 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dmn, you guys. It's a new millenium. Fuel prices, and emmission demands are skyrocketing. And your still playing the macho card. Mine is bigger than yours.

Get with the times, will ya?

Sooner or later your going to have to wake up. The future of all US auto manufacturing is going to be lighter weight, and more efficiency! Our Economy DEPENDS on these 2 factors. We cannot keep living in the past. Our Fossil fuel based economy can no longer depend on foreign supply.

Our attitudes HAVE to change.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:29 PM
riverratt
New User
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
Dmn, you guys. It's a new millenium. Fuel prices, and emmission demands are skyrocketing. And your still playing the macho card. Mine is bigger than yours.

Get with the times, will ya?

Sooner or later your going to have to wake up. The future of all US auto manufacturing is going to be lighter weight, and more efficiency! Our Economy DEPENDS on these 2 factors. We cannot keep living in the past. Our Fossil fuel based economy can no longer depend on foreign supply.

Our attitudes HAVE to change.
Nice list of gas hogs

Old 01-26-2008, 02:38 PM
DearbornDerek
Senior User
Originally Posted by suzuki0702
Engine line-up (all V8): 4.2L 2-valve V8 ___HP and ___ ft/lbs torque, 4.6L 3-valve V8 ___HP and ___ ft/lbs torque, 5.4L 3-valve V8 ___HP and ___ ft/lbs torque.
It's a type-o. There is no 4.2L V-8.
It's a 2-valve 4.6, a 3-valve 4.6 and the 3-valve 5.4

Quick Reply: What,s the hp on a new 09 5.4