1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

battery drain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:22 PM
06gator
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery drain?

Hey guys great site!! Question for you. I own a 2006 navigator, and wonder if any of you experienced power drains. when the truck sits for more than three days the battery gets low. It barely started today and after driving to work (about 8 miles) it starts fine now. Any clue or do I have a bad battery. When I bought the truck the battery was dead and don't think they replaced it. Maybe a dead cell?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Freak4Ford
Senior User
If your still under warranty, take it back to the dealer and have them test your battery. Depending on your location, the low winter temps will weaken most vehicle batteries.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
JimLob
Freshman User
It certainly is possible that you have an electrical draw in the system. To check it correctly you need to put a digital ammeter with a 10 amp capacity in line between the battery post and the cable with the cable disconnected. Be sure all doors are closed...wait a minute or two for any dome lights that are on timers to go off and check your reading. If you are showing any amperage draw, maybe 1/3 amp or so (been a while...) start popping fuses one at a time. By the way, make sure if you have a light under the hood that you disconnect it. Don't forget to disconnect the regulator/alternator if you can't find it. If the draw disappears when you disconnect a particular fuse, start checking the individual components in the circuit. I've seen cigarette lighters cause draws in the past, for example. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 PM
madsonp
Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
Whens the last time you cleaned your battery posts ?

Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 AM
06gator
New User
The battery posts are super clean. I might have a draw on the system but also I believe the battery has been disharged a few times more than it liked and weakened it. I will update on my progress.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Eddie Hudson
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 06gator
Hey guys great site!! Question for you. I own a 2006 navigator, and wonder if any of you experienced power drains. when the truck sits for more than three days the battery gets low. It barely started today and after driving to work (about 8 miles) it starts fine now. Any clue or do I have a bad battery. When I bought the truck the battery was dead and don't think they replaced it. Maybe a dead cell?

Try taking your battery out and getting it fully charged. It takes 10 minutes of driving just to replace the energy used to start your vehicle. If your battery was weak to start, driving only 8 miles will never bring it back to a full charge.

Good Luck

Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM
madsonp
Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by 06gator
The battery posts are super clean. I might have a draw on the system but also I believe the battery has been disharged a few times more than it liked and weakened it. I will update on my progress.
The reason I suggested cleaning the posts is because I've had the same issue before with vehicles. The posts look real clean however there was a unseen build-up between the post and the cable clamp that wasn't allowing good contact between the two resulting in the battery not getting a full charge when running, so looks can be deceiving. So in the past when I had an issue with my vehicles like your having, pulling the cables and cleaning the posts and clamps with a good battery post cleaning brush is the first thing I try, and about 1/4 of the time that's what the problems been, so much so that I clean them on a regular basis now. So don't rule it out just because they look clean. Also have you checked the acid level in your battery ?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 AM
hurley1718
Freshman User
I have a 99 Expy and I had the same issue where the battery would drain for no apparent reason. So I started the search of what could be draining it. I've been working with car alarms and stereos for about 15 years and I have dealt with mercury switches. SO my first thought was the under hood light. It works on a mercury switch and if the mercury gets caught around the posts it will leave it open (draining the battery). So all I had to do to test it was just unplug it, charge the battery and run it to see if it died again. Bingo, that was it for me. I replaced the light switch and no more battery drain.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:55 PM
06gator
New User
I dont have a underhood light that im aware. The truck sat in my garage for 4 days and the batery was completely dead again. I am going to pop a fuse to my lcd screen in the rear to see if thats causing it. I dont think it is but Im going to give it a shot. If thats not it then I will have the battery checked and/or replaced.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:21 PM
ArgoExpedition
Junior User
I have seen many car stereos cause that same problem too; the internals (usually the memory line) gets a short and drains the battery. Even if the radio works just fine otherwise, it can still cause the problem. If you are having troubles narrowing it down, completely disconnect the stereo and continue testing. One last possibility is that the battery is just failing, I had another car where that was the problem.

Steve

Old 03-16-2008, 07:18 AM
06gator
New User
I replaced the battery and that seemed to fix it. The battery was dead when I bought the truck and if I drive it everyday it's ok. But If I let it sit it will slowly die. New Batt, problem gone!! Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Dead cell in the battery.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:33 PM
DROOPY209
Freshman User
About 2 months ago, my 02 Navigator was draining the battery overnight. My dad would hardly drive it, so when he would try to start it, it wouldn't start. It had a red top Optima battery. I had another red top Optima in my 92 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD. Switched batteries between the cars, the Navigator now worked flawlessly, the Eagle now had trouble starting after sitting 2 days.

In my case, the battery tested good, but the voltage would drop all on it's own. Dead Cell, as usual with Optimas.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:00 PM
06gator
New User
well after going out of town for a week i came home to a dead batt. I found the culprit though. The air suspension. it keeps the truck level and turns on and off to keep the level of the truck constant. Turn off the suspension and problem gone!!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the same problem with my 97 Expy sometimes, trying to figure out???

Old 07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Woody1255
Freshman User
Unhappy

Just fought through a Battery Drain problem on my 97 Expy EB. I had been happening for so long, it killed one of the battery cells. Found drain to be in Radio, CD Changer, RICP circuit. Doese anyone know what is acceptable "power off" drain for CD Changer (I had 120 milliamps) Also the Rear Integrated Control Panel on the back of the console (I had 50 milliamps here) So far, I have disconnect both items and now have 10 milliamp draw after truck "goes to sleep" ANY Help is appreciated

Quick Reply: battery drain?