1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Shipping Question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM
f100newb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shipping Question???

I just won a hood on ebay. Any good opinions on the cheapest way to ship this to me in Baltimore. It is coming from Las Vegas.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 01:41 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Unless you can get the seller to crate it, you won't be happy with what you receive. Something of that size is going to cost a small fortune to ship also.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:50 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
driving would probably be dain near as cheap and it'd get there in better shape !!!!!!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:03 PM
f100newb
Senior User
You are all a bunch of Cynics.

I have had things shipped before with out any issue. Just trying to find shipping info.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:13 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by f100newb
I just won a hood on ebay. Any good opinions on the cheapest way to ship this to me in Baltimore. It is coming from Las Vegas.

Thanks
have heard that greyhound package express works great for this.
I have shipped fenders and whole interiors (in a box) and truck bench seat (in a box)..

gas prices have forced them to raise shipping prices, so its not as clear a win as 5 yrs ago.

Sam

Old 01-23-2008, 02:13 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I sold a hood on uPay a few years ago and shipped it via Greyhound. I think it was around $40 from SE WI to NY somewhere. The biggest pain was wrapping it in cardboard so I would suggest you give the seller a few bucks to do it, if he isn't already charging you for packaging. I also charged the buyer a $20 for my time and gas to drive it down to the Greyhound station, which was about 25 miles away. In my uPay ad I stated I wouldn't ship but he insisted he wanted it shipped so it cost him for the hassle.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:15 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by f100newb
You are all a bunch of Cynics.

I have had things shipped before with out any issue. Just trying to find shipping info.
Well, it'll have to be truck shipped. Too big for UPS or regular Fed-Ex. If it is crated, any of the truck shipping companies should do you a good job.
The reason I said something about not being satisfied, I have things shipped to me regularly through UPS and Fed-Ex. They look like they were shipped "air freight" and dropped from about 5000'
Check out http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?showforum=49 These folks are back and forth across the country and help out other old truck enthusiasts with hauling.
Mid Fifty shows a price of $200 for shipping a steel hood, might give them a call and see who they use, they are in the same area.

Last edited by mechmagcn; 01-23-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 PM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
I bought a door in TX shipped to Ohio by greyhound was $75. It was wrapped and had foam rubber and cardboard on the corners and they drug it on concrete until the edges of the door was exposed and damaged. Dont expect them to treat it like you would. Its just cargo to them and a hassle to transfer bus to bus.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:21 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might consider joining the HAMB and contacting Ben D on that site. Ben travels back and forth across the U.S. and will give you good handling of something like a hood. You may have to wait a few weeks for him to be traveling your direction but you shouldn't have to worry about damage and the cost should be fairly reasonable, probably not as cheap as Greyhound but it won't have to be packaged either.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:35 PM
53OlderThanMe
Elder User
I've found DHL to be very reasonably priced. Not sure if they would take a hood but I just got rear springs delivered probably just as heavy.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Long way for a hood, but it can be done. First, if using a truck line, ship to a business address,not a residence. 2nd, a crated part is always cheaper to ship. 3rd, sucha part can be shipped as is and marked as "Auto part,hood,metal,not painted,embossed,Class70,NOI" (NOI means "not otherwise indexed",CL 70 is a slight upcharge to make sure it gets handled with greater care as it will need to be paid out to you if damaged in transit. ) Carriers want revenue but need to be paid for the extra effort. A loose part can not be handled with the forklift and requires 2 men and a handtruck/dolly. Union rules are rules. The hood should be photographed and documented prior to shipping. The hood should be marked with indelible ink (1" wide magic marker) right on the surface of the metal. Some carriers will not carry this type, most will not interline, so look for a direct carrier for sure. I would also consider a relay of FTE'r or H.A.M.B.r's or a combo. Some classic car transporters will piggyback hoods for lunch money if they are near there or you and it fit in back of the pulling truck. I hope this helps you. I have done all of these in the past. Good luck and good luck on the hood being as described. And of course, please follow up with results in this thread so we can learn more??
Jon

Last edited by CIAF; 01-23-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 PM
f100newb
Senior User
Originally Posted by CIAF
Long way for a hood, but it can be done. First, if using a truck line, ship to a business address,not a residence. 2nd, a crated part is always cheaper to ship. 3rd, sucha part can be shipped as is and marked as "Auto part,hood,metal,not painted,embossed,Class70,NOI" (NOI means "not otherwise indexed",CL 70 is a slight upcharge to make sure it gets handled with greater care as it will need to be paid out to you if damaged in transit. ) Carriers want revenue but need to be paid for the extra effort. A loose part can not be handled with the forklift and requires 2 men and a handtruck/dolly. Union rules are rules. The hood should be photographed and documented prior to shipping. The hood should be marked with indelible ink (1" wide magic marker) right on the surface of the metal. Some carriers will not carry this type, most will not interline, so look for a direct carrier for sure. I would also consider a relay of FTE'r or H.A.M.B.r's or a combo. Some classic car transporters will piggyback hoods for lunch money if they are near there or you and it fit in back of the pulling truck. I hope this helps you. I have done all of these in the past. Good luck and good luck on the hood being as described. And of course, please follow up with results in this thread so we can learn more??
Jon
Jon great info thanks a bunch. Here is the issue.. I cannot find anything in my area that is a good quality and doesnt need a **** ton of work. This is a desert rust free hood that I got for $90 if I have to spend 150 on shipping I am willing to do that. If anyone here know of a way to source good parts in the Maryland area let me know

Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you are willing to spend that much for shipping and the buyer is willing, build a wooden crate for it, 2x4 frame, OSB panels with 2x4 skids underneath for forklift tines and ship truck freight. If you don't have a business addy for delivery have it shipped to terminal and pick it up there, they charge a lot extra for residence delivery.
If it is in cardboard, have it marked "BREAKABLE TOP LOAD ONLY!" on all sides.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AXracer
If you are willing to spend that much for shipping and the buyer is willing, build a wooden crate for it, 2x4 frame, OSB panels with 2x4 skids underneath for forklift tines and ship truck freight. If you don't have a business addy for delivery have it shipped to terminal and pick it up there, they charge a lot extra for residence delivery.
If it is in cardboard, have it marked "BREAKABLE TOP LOAD ONLY!" on all sides.

This is good info and is what I would do. You will be miles ahead when it is all said and done.

Jon

Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Dennis, Does the seller have another?? Lets split the shipping ,? Jon ,Do you work for a trucking Co.?? Seem to know some of the finer details....AX , what does TOP LOAD ONLY mean...I suppose it gets put on "the top " of the load..Thanks!!