Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock or fluid damper

Old 02-14-2002, 08:41 PM
79BroncoJD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock or fluid damper

I have a 69 460 I have recently rebuilt. When I first got the engine, it did not have the damper on it. I need to get a new damper and was wondering if my application requires a fluid damper or if a stock one will do (check user gallery for engine component list). Are there any performance advantages to running a fluid damper or will the only benefits be longevity and to meet racing requirements? I do plan to enter some local mud bog races and I am not yet familiar with the requirements of classes. I will be getting a SPI flexplate (which also was not included with the engine) and want to get a SPI damper to meet any racing requirements I may stumble across. I also have no frame of reference concerning the hub (spacer) or any other components that I will have to acquire to complete the assembly. I can’t seem to find an exploded view of this area anywhere. I am assuming that I just need the hub (spacer), damper, pulley & center bolt with washer (this I have). If I decide to run a crank trigger, can I use a stock damper? Is there any specific brands that I should consider, stay away from? I am looking at a Ford Motorsports M-6316-A460. I also saw a damper assembly parts listed as M-6316-B460 for $200. I gather that this is the hub. Can I expect to pay $475 for the entire setup without a pulley? Ouch!! One more thing, any sources on a 3 groove pulley and/or an aftermarket timing pointer for my ap? I know I could go to the junkyard and get this and that but I have not used any junkyard peripheral parts on the engine yet and I am trying not to. Thanks all.