WVO Blends

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 01:46 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile WVO Blends

Hey I've been reading about WVO blends and from what I understand it's possible to run a diesel on wvo with out heat or an expensive kit if its blended. I have a 97 Powerstroke and I was wondering if I could do this with my truck when the average temps are above 65*. I was thinking maybe i would run a blend of 50% diesel, 20% kerosean, and 30% filtered WVO and Powerservice additive. Would I need any extra filteration on my truck with this setup, or a heated tank? I;m an 18 y/o college student without alot of money who loves his truck and doesnt want to get rid of it on account of fuel prices. I'm just trying to figure out if I am going about all of this in the right way or not. Your input is greatly appreicated.

-Brian

Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
I know that I will get lots of arguments against what I say but blending is risky at best.
You are gambling the life of your $10K motor to save a few hundred bucks. If your blend seperates, a very real possibility, you can end up running unheated WVO, that can cost you an engine.

If you want to go with WVO spend the $$ and convert your truck.

If the high start up cost is not practical learn to turn the WVO into BD. It will generate fuell for about $1/gal with a less than $300 startup.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88

If the high start up cost is not practical learn to turn the WVO into BD. It will generate fuell for about $1/gal with a less than $300 startup.
300 bucks start up? i'm interested. how do i do this? every time i try to research making BD it seems to me that i need to get all sorts of tanks and stuff. like this for $6,000

Old 01-22-2008, 06:04 PM
D.J
Junior User
go here this might help www.dieselsecret.com

Old 01-22-2008, 06:10 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
i heard alot of sceptical stuff about diesel secret energy. you run it?

and has anybody heard of this stuff http://www.biofuelbasics.com/index.html

Last edited by IceboxFX; 01-22-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:48 PM
D.J
Junior User
i ran it for about 3 weeks. it was a lot harder to start didn't see any performance difference between reg diesel. i was talking to a guy that advise me not to run because of possible injector problems.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[QUOTE=IceboxFX]i heard alot of sceptical stuff about diesel secret energy. you run it?

and has anybody heard of this stuff http://www.biofuelbasics.com/index.html[/QUOTE]

Both these products are Snake Oil!!!

Neither one makes Biodiesel, and are pure scam. Don't waste your money or your ENGINE!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
This site is very good
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/mainpage/

Appleseed processors work, they aren't perfect but they work.
Once you get an idea of how the process works come here and ask questions because there are many ways to make it easier.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
This site is very good

Appleseed processors work, they aren't perfect but they work.
Once you get an idea of how the process works come here and ask questions because there are many ways to make it easier.
thanks guys, i heard those other two things were junk and they seemed too good to be true.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
I agree with Phydeaux, blending without proper pre heat is risking coking of the injectors and rings. If you're going to do it (alternative fuel) then do it right with quality biodiesel. The money you save will more than justify the initial startup costs...

Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 AM
firemediceric
Senior User
I know that I will get lots of arguments against what I say but blending is risky at best.
You are gambling the life of your $10K motor to save a few hundred bucks. If your blend seperates, a very real possibility, you can end up running unheated WVO, that can cost you an engine.

If you want to go with WVO spend the $$ and convert your truck.

If you search my screen name here, you'll see that Phydeaux and I go around about this all of the time.

I blend and it works for me. Living in the 7th circle of Hell (Florida) does help. You can read about my experiences here or on The Diesel Stop or Frybrid as well as elsewhere. You may find some helpful information at http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...m/f/9751014871 that is a forum devoted to blending and no one is trying to sell any magic potions such as DSE.

Am I correct in thinking that your truck has an IDI motor? If so and with the blend you're describing, I think you may be fine. As you've been warned, this type of alt fuel is the least researched and least standardized, so yes, it is a gamble but one I've been taking for about two years now without a problem.

I think you will be hard pressed to build a BD processor for only $300. Regarding blend seperating, make your blend, put a sample in a glass jar and leave it out for a few weeks to see if it seperates. This should tell the tale.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
His sig says 97 F-250 that is definetly not IDI.

People build Appleseed processors all the time for $200 to $300 the secret find a used water heater. Also buy valves and the pump at Harbor Frieght, preferably on sale.

Here are plans

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 01-24-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:53 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
yes it is a powerstroke, not an idi. thanks for the info on the appleseed processor, im gonna keep my eye out to try to get a hold of a old water heater.

firemediceric, what blend do you run and you do so on your powerstroke?

Old 01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by IceboxFX
firemediceric, what blend do you run and you do so on your powerstroke?
In the 7.3 in my signature I run roughly a little less than 75% WVO, 20% Jet-A, 5% RUG, along with a little naptha and turpentine. The Mercedes gets the same except that the Jet-A is reduced to 10%.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:09 AM
85Diesel_F250
Freshman User
I have a water heater. What else do i need? My truck has 2 tanks already. Do i need to make any mods to the truck?
A tank of some sort to hold the WVO, a place to get it from, filters....
I'm 17 and with $4.80 diesel have been curious about running WVO, but don't know much about it.
The $300 setup.......is that practical? I've been looking for soemthing like a list of items to get, but i can't find one.

Quick Reply: WVO Blends