6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR disconnect?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:43 PM
xcnick38
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR disconnect?

i've been reading about this and im wondering if its a good idea? will it cause any damage? both when you first do it or 10,000 miles down the road?

what do you gain from it other than getting all clean air?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:09 PM
skirk55
Elder User
I unplugged mine for two tanks of fuel and it made more noise plus I lost 2 MPG! Hooked it back up.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:18 PM
xcnick38
Freshman User
Originally Posted by skirk55
I unplugged mine for two tanks of fuel and it made more noise plus I lost 2 MPG! Hooked it back up.
really? i read it helps milage? i guess i will learn from your and leave it hooked up... i couldn't think it would help anything...

thanks for the info!

anybody have experience with an EGR delete pipe?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
you will get many mixed responses to this question.. some people swear it helps them and it makes power... some people (most people) can't tell any difference... some people say they lost fuel mileage... i noticed NO change in performance, and my mileage is crappy already...

technically the reason for EGR is to keep cylinder temperatures down to reduce NOX emissions. it does this by introducing an inert gas (the exhaust basically has no more O2 to burn) into the cylinder after it has been "cooled"... now when the combustion event takes place the cooler EGRgas absorbs some of the heat from the combustion so the peak temps are not as high. without the egr flow, there is more room for fresh incoming air to mix with more fuel and create more power and heat, but more NOX emissions. the downside is the egr gas contains all that nasty black soot and oily residue that finds it's way into your intake manifold and heads, (the ccv is much to blame for this too, so do both mods if that's your reasoning)

Old 01-21-2008, 09:37 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We got rid of ours, but with 3 blown injectors its hard to tell if it hurt our mpg. We did it ourself cost us about 250 bucks with the welding and new gaskets. Took about 14 hours all together. Did the up-pipe too. No major problems--but the code. We clear ours with our Edge. Posted ours on here about 2 weeks ago. Just search egr delete--should come up. Did give us more power.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
to be honest, if fuel mileage is a major concern of anyones, better to leave the EGR connected, everyone i've talked to has noticed a decrease in mileage.. mine went down a little too, but it's so low anyway that i'd rather have the cleaner intake charge and oil free intake plumbing than the extra MPG anyway...
matt has actually changed some of his street files to go back to having an active EGR system because of mileage reasons

Old 01-22-2008, 12:31 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,696 Posts
Some knowledgeable folks say that with proper fuel, proper fuel filters, proper filter change intervals, a good fuel additive, and synthetic oil, then EGR problems should virtually disappear. I hope this is true since my 2006 WILL throw the CEL with the EGR disconnected. I will not drive w/ the CEL on. I am saving $$'s for an eventual SCT and will probably disconnect the EGR sytem then (more to eliminate the EGR cooler than the EGR valve). I have had no problems w/ my EGR system to this point (24000 miles) - hope it continues.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:11 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
I think I was misunderstood. I did not unplug the egr valve. It is plugged in and still in place. I welded the egr cooler shut on both ends, exhaust inlet and output(thus eliminating ever having coolant in the intake), and I also took off the passenger side up-pipe and cut the scoop out and welded the pipe back shut. I hate to disagree with you but I have noticed 100 degree less exhaust gas(I am guessing because the scoop in the up pipe was a HUGE restriction). I was freaked out when I saw that it restricted almost half of the passenger side exhaust. I might be wrong but I think that the quicker the exhaust can exit the system the better. But I understand that having less O2 to burn means less heat. But the 400+/- degrees the egr cooler is supposed to cool the exhaust, that heat has to go somewhere(in the coolant). Surely the truck will run at least a little cooler. That couldn't hurt. I am a camper hauler and I just delivered a 41' KZ fifth wheel from IN to CA and I DO have more power. FOR SURE. This wasnt exactly a easy mod but if I can do it then anyone can. Just wanted to say again I am not talking about just unplugging the valve. This mod actually has a purpose.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
I was the one mistaken. I have this thing that emails me and I didnt realize this thread was about egr disconnect. There is another thread about the egr cooler delete. SORRY if I stepped on anyone, I thought I was on that thread.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:17 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xcnick38
i've been reading about this and im wondering if its a good idea? will it cause any damage? both when you first do it or 10,000 miles down the road?

what do you gain from it other than getting all clean air?
IMPO your '03 6.0 would be OK if it is not California emissions. I pulled mine ('04 6.0) at 4,000 miles and never had a bit of trouble. Seat of the pants said reduced turbo lag. It is always a personal choice though.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:35 PM
skirk55
Elder User
Every time when I have read about a mod to my 2005 F350 diesel I can never get a straight answer. Some people it is ok some people not good. Why can't there be a yes or no! I read about mufflers getting better MPG so I fell for it.I installed a Flow Master on my F250 gasser and lost MPG and bottom end. I read a chip will improve power and mpg with my 5.4 gasser. So I purchased one any change? I lost 300 bucks! I unplug my ERG Valve and people said better turbo, more power and better mpg. I did it and the thing made no difference. When the motor idled it was louder that and my MPG went down 2 ! I have to question peoples results. It has to be yes it improved it or no it was worse. Come on FACTS FACTS FACTS This is starting to reduce my trust in what I read. I do not mean to insult anyone please do not take this the wrong way but I gust can not believe the difference of opinion on this.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:47 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
OK.

Fact: I unplugged my EGR Valve @ 4,000 miles and it was never in the shop except for little non-engine goofy stuff.

Fact: Many '03 / '04 engine build EGR Valves failed before 10,000 miles and within every 10,000 mile window thereafter.

Fact: Some folks always used quality fuel conditioners and fuel which significantly enhanced EGR Valve longevity

Fact: Some EGR Valves never failed.
How's that work out for ya?

Old 01-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,373 Likes on 2,076 Posts
Facts are you need to buy a Focus to improve mileage. You are pushing the equivalent of a bill board down the road. My 88 454FI CC Dually gets 7 MPG loaded or unloaded, diesels perform much better.

Ingesting your own vomit is not good, eliminate the EGR. A larger exhaust lowers the exhaust gas temperatures. Custom tuning gains improved shifting along with performance which improves drive-ability. After modifications the decrease in fuel mileage is mostly related to the angle of your foot on the peddle. Bigger injectors will deliver more fuel and improve MPG, custom tuning will also improve fuel milage....but we all know the truck is much faster and where your foot will be.

You wanted facts, I give you the cold hard truth.

Last edited by Maxium4x4; 01-22-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:39 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Ahhhh...memories of the old W.A.R.T. threads are coming to life.

You have it to easy these days John. You need something to crank life into the 6.0 forum. Keeps you on your toes. Glad I retired the Texas Hammer 'cause it would just get rusty from lack of use these days.

Those were the good old days. Get home late on Tuesday nights and bang somebody on the head. It was fun. You were a great wingman BTW.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,373 Likes on 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by kw5413
Ahhhh...memories of the old W.A.R.T. threads are coming to life.

You have it to easy these days John. You need something to crank life into the 6.0 forum. Keeps you on your toes. Glad I retired the Texas Hammer 'cause it would just get rusty from lack of use these days.

Those were the good old days. Get home late on Tuesday nights and bang somebody on the head. It was fun. You were a great wingman BTW.
Head over to the 6.4L forum....... and get your hammer out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR disconnect?