Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Postmaster

nlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant future
Reverse gear hesitation...

I have noticed, in the last week or two, a hesitation of my truck going into reverse gear. When I put it in R, there is a delay of a second or two before I feel the drivetrain lockup...anyone else experience that? I used to put it in R and it was immediate drivetrain engagement. The truck drives just fine, tranny shifts normal and no delay going into Drive. No rattles, low tranny temperatures...last fluid flush less than a year ago (about 10K miles)...external tranny filter.

Support The Semper Fi Fund or America's Fund

Your kids are better off if you blow their college savings in Las Vegas. They'll be just as uneducated, but at least they won't be as indoctrinated. - Neal, retired professor
Old 01-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Post Fiend

Pocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant future
Mine has always had a hesitation. The BTS does it less, but there's still a slight hesitation there.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the Colorado diesel community.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Elder User

Mike Norwood is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
just bought a 2001 f-250 and had the same hesitation about going into reverse and then the reverse went out. dealer is replacing the transmission now(within thirty days so lemon law applies)
Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
I've always had at least a second, maybe two's, hesitation, and consider it normal. I always wait until I feel engagement before adding ANY power.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 01-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Elder User

Mike Norwood is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i've heard about that. simply relating my personal experience. had no hesitation out of my '99 f-350 with the same tranny. also the reverse never goofed up until it had been under a load for about half hour( I pull a 6,000lb utility trailer)
Old 01-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Postmaster

That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.That_Guy has a great reputation on FTE.
Mine did that, just flushed the tranny and changed the filter and that fixed everything, you might want to check the the fluid level though.
PAA MEMBER #53
2003 7.3
Old 01-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Elder User

RogueSpear2023 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think they all have at least a second of hesitation due to the torque converter locking up.

Sold:
1999.5 F-350 SC SB 4x4 XLT SRW
7.3L PSD / Auto / 3.73 LS
Muffler Delete, 6637 Mod, Zoodad, CCV mod, Stancor GPR mod

"It's better to have it, and not need it; than need it, and not have it."

"You can't legislate stupidity"

-Max
Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Well, if it is a change from previous behavior, something happened.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Postmaster

nlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Well, if it is a change from previous behavior, something happened.
That is my feeling too Dan...something has changed...the delay is definitely longer now in going into reverse. I am going to drain the tranny (rather than flush it this time) so I can pull the pan and look inside a bit...I was hoping that someone would say "you need to tighten the thigamajigger to 25 in-lb and check the parallax of the muffler bearings" and it will be fixed . No such luck ...I have a feeling that a trip to John Wood Transmission is in order before fire season starts, if changing the fluid has no positive effect. Thanks guys for the input...much appreciated.

Your kids are better off if you blow their college savings in Las Vegas. They'll be just as uneducated, but at least they won't be as indoctrinated. - Neal, retired professor
Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Post Fiend

bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
Neal,

I found this earlier when I was searching Dieselmanns technical bulletins

Reverse Engagement Stall:
Some trucks with the 4R100 transmission may stall upon shifting into reverse. This is usually caused by the torque converter clutch being engaged at idle. Engineering is investigating. Broadcast Message 1222.
If this condition occurs under cold temperatures only, it may be due to increased viscosity of the ATF. Ford is recommending changing the ATF to synthetic in this case. Broadcast Message 1435.

I know yours doesn't stall but it may just be a fluid thing.
PAA MEMBER # 7.3, 99.5 CC,4X4,SB, leveled,live tuned by Jody,1.15 van turbo w ATS housing,6.0 IC,AFE big boost filter, Petes Armour,fuel bowl delete,black MBRP stacks, 02 headlights,F650 dash, 16x10 MT wheels, 35" tires,and a bunch other stuff that wont fit in my sig. 425K and counting.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Post Fiend

rbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to beholdrbaker6336 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Neal,

Some trucks with the 4R100 transmission may stall upon shifting into reverse. This is usually caused by the torque converter clutch being engaged at idle. Engineering is investigating. Broadcast Message 1222.
If this condition occurs under cold temperatures only, it may be due to increased viscosity of the ATF. Ford is recommending changing the ATF to synthetic in this case. Broadcast Message 1435.

mine stalled in reverse for first few winters I owned it
now since rebuild and new torque it has the hesitation in reverse but no stall
'98 Grand Cherokee, '86 F-150 SB Lariat 4x4 bought new (needs new home)
PAA #35
Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023
I think they all have at least a second of hesitation due to the torque converter locking up.
The torque converter does not lock up in reverse. Ever! It also never locks when the truck is not moving.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 01-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Neal,

I'm going to flush and change to synthetic as soon as Mr Winter gives up his grip on northern Nevada OR when I go to my southern New Mexico digs next month . I've got nothing to lose by trying that as PM on the tranny...but after corresponding with Mark K I am budgeting for a John Wood rebuild in the future.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Senior User

dieseloholic is starting off with a positive reputation.
My original trans had a small delay, but never seemed to have a problem (with reverse). Since having it rebuilt and upgraded there is no delay.
++Roadside Help Network++
Old 01-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Junior User

Heff-7.3PSD is starting off with a positive reputation.
I noticed that my truck only did it when the air temp was in the 30's or lower. Once the truck warmed up I did not notice it. I would fire up my truck to get something else out of the garage and put it in reverse and nothing for about 2 to 5 seconds. I took it to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2000, 2001, 73, automatic, delay, delayed, engagement, explorer, f250, f350, ford, hesitates, hesitation, reverse, shifting, transmission