Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Anyone in WA have collector plates/insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:31 AM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone in WA have collector plates/insurance?

Im lookin into gettin an older (1973-79) F250 Highboy to use primarly as an offroad rig and am trying to figure out every last way I can save on insurance for it, because obviously im a 16 year old male and paying insurance on 2 trucks is gunna be painful on the wallet... It was sujested in another forum that i pay the onetime fee for collector vehicle status and would then get a insurance break (as well as never having to buy tabs) I was wondering if anyone in WA can tell me if you do indeed get an insurance break of any kind for registering it as a collectors vehicle?

Also how difficult is it to get it registered as such? I was looking at the WA DOL site and the forms seemed straightforward, didnt even require pics, just the VIN, is there more behind the scenes that must be done or is that it?

Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Placermike
Postmaster
You really limit how you can drive the vehicle once it is designated as a collectors vehicle. You are only supposed to drive it in car shows parades and such.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:27 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Placermike is right...

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/insurance.html

A collector vehicle must be at least 30 years old and insurance is not mandatory. As a general rule police officers do not usually stop a vehicle with collector plates unless there is a rules of the road violation...then the officer will take a closer look at the collector vehicle use.

BUT...there are those few officers who will stop for the slightest infraction.

You are not really saving much money on the license fees since you will be paying just about $30 per year anyway. As far as insurance, on a collector vehicle you don't need it. Reading your thread I can see a very painful lesson coming down the road if an accident occurs. An officer will quickly figure this one out and will hang paper on you in excess of $1,000+.

I would consider paying for the tabs and finding the cheapest insurance possible. Just my 2 cents...

Old 01-20-2008, 05:53 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howabout just switching ins between trucks? Scott this is your father talking.... At 16 you do not need to have 2 trucks. You MAYBE need to have 1 and You should be putting the extra coin you would spend on the second truck in the bank. Remember that right now the median house in Snohomish co is running 350,000. That means that you will need a lot of money to get into one. In 3 to 5 years when you are ready to but you will need something like 5% down plus closing for FHA. That will be 17,500 plus another 5K to 10K for closing. That means you will need 22K just to get in to a house or condo and then you will have an 1800+ mortgage. So if you think about your future (more than the possy you want to get tonight) you may concider downsizing your wish list.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
I agree with what you are saying Marty, but with a multi vehicle discount, you do come out cheaper...Not sure if that applies for a male under 25 though.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:02 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
The insurance is a factor but is probablly nothing compared to what would be spent on the truck itself. Factor in the upgrades, rubber, tabs, keeping 2 rigs stocked with beer ect ect ect....

Old 01-20-2008, 06:11 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
The insurance is actually the biggest factor, cause with a Highboy no lift is needed to run 38"s and the one im hopefully buying next weekend already has a set of 36"s at 80% tread. (plus i can get tires at decent deals)
Im goin to talk to the state farm guy this week to see what sort of deals i can wrangle up. My whole family is insured through them, and im workin my **** off to make the good grades discount, AND im doing some stupid safe driving log thing, so im hoping between all that i ought to get a few $$'s off. I hope.
Plus im registering as driving less than 3000 miles per year.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
I never listened to my dad, why start now. It's gonna cost you more either now or later. Just go for it.

note===83 characters. is that enough?

Old 01-20-2008, 11:34 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Thats kinda my thoughts. Even paying through the **** for insurance is gunna be more than a new truck, or putting this one back together when i blow the F150's weak axles, the TTB, the mazda M5OD tranny, and yank off the driveshafts on hills because of the 133" wheelbase (supercab/long bed)

Plus im not a fan of my dad anyways, sorry marty

Old 01-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Parrsboro
Senior User
Originally Posted by godblessmud
Im lookin into gettin an older (1973-79) F250 Highboy to use primarly as an offroad rig and am trying to figure out every last way I can save on insurance for it, because obviously im a 16 year old male and paying insurance on 2 trucks is gunna be painful on the wallet... It was sujested in another forum that i pay the onetime fee for collector vehicle status and would then get a insurance break (as well as never having to buy tabs) I was wondering if anyone in WA can tell me if you do indeed get an insurance break of any kind for registering it as a collectors vehicle?

Also how difficult is it to get it registered as such? I was looking at the WA DOL site and the forms seemed straightforward, didnt even require pics, just the VIN, is there more behind the scenes that must be done or is that it?
I have a couple of cars with collector plates on them.
like you already have read, car has to be 30 years old.
And you are restricted a bit on the amount you drive it, BUT........

Who but you are going to know when, where, why etc.
If a cop pulls you over and asks where your going, just tell him a far away city for a show, or any other stupid story.

my insurance on one of my cars is only 50 bucks a month due to they think i drive it just as a collector car. no one asks for odometer readings, and with the older cars it don't make sense anyhow. so drive as much as you want.
they may base it on the cost of the car.
farmers has my car valued at 40k so for 50.00 a month not bad.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 AM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
So Dave, Here is my Question: How does your insurance work if an "at fault" accident works? Do you have full coverage?

Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MARTYSTOWRIG
So Dave, Here is my Question: How does your insurance work if an "at fault" accident works? Do you have full coverage?
Basic insurance covers the cost of the other vehicle, just not the one you own....The whole purpose of comprehensive is so the lenders know they will recoup their costs.
Otherwise a person would stop paying after a crash, and they would just have bad credit, but the lendor would be out of the money.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User
Originally Posted by MARTYSTOWRIG
o sure , why ask me questions

I will let you know after i talk to my agent tuesday or wednesday.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
How was work today Sparkey?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Parrsboro
Senior User
Hmm, but i did just look at my policy and for that car it is 100/300 with a 500 dollar deductible, for comp and collison both.

and it is 143 dollars for six month worth of coverage ((23.83)) dollars a month.

so with that i would say it would work just as any claim would Marty.

but i will still be making sure with my agent.

And that could also be a 40 year old with a clean driving record

Quick Reply: Anyone in WA have collector plates/insurance?