Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > West Virginia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Archion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Post Fiend

msgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to behold
It's pretty stinkin cold outside!

I went to start the diesel....it was ugly! It took three tries before she stumbled along. I'm comfortable with the PowerService in the white bottle...I don't belive it was gelling.

I made it a point to crawl under it tonight and find the plug. This is the first time I've ever plugged it in. It's 7 outside right now so I'll see if it makes a difference in the morning.

Dave....is there any indicator to show the heater is working once it's plugged in?

Joe

We live in the Land Of The Free...BECAUSE of the Brave! My humble thanks to all Veterans, past and present
Old 01-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Senior User

Outlawwv is starting off with a positive reputation.
9 here now - i started the kw earlier and am letting it run all night - put air line antifreeze in both glad hands and took main line off compressor and put some in there also - just got back from checking on it - gotta go out at 3 am
Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Freshman User

2001psd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey joe it does make a big difference the way it starts, suppose to get -1 here tonight! plugged mine in for the first time this winter.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Post Fiend

msgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to beholdmsgtg is a splendid one to behold
The AM update: The truck started like it was 80 degrees out side...not 6 that showed on the interior readout! Now all I have to do is to clean out the plug cover (the ground prong hole looks like theres mud or something in it) and I'll be good for a bit.

I'll start plugging it in whenever it's gonna be down to 10 degrees or so. Like I said, last year it was down to about 16 and she started right up without plugging it in.

Talk about being relieved! When I first tried yesterday my first thought was...as usual, a crappy time to have to replace batteries! It turned over really sluggishly.

Joe

We live in the Land Of The Free...BECAUSE of the Brave! My humble thanks to all Veterans, past and present
Old 01-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Postmaster

1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold
Here it was 2 yesterday morning and -1 this morning.

Anyone else ready for springtime?

Click - My Super Duty Tech Articles
1975 Baja Bronco Project
1984 Ranger 4x4 R.I.P Nov 2007
Old 01-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
Here it was 2 yesterday morning and -1 this morning.

Anyone else ready for springtime?
yes sir -- i was in the basement yesterday and saw my catfishin pole leaning in the corner -- i guess it won't be long now though
Old 01-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Post Fiend

ME TOO! ME TOO!

Took Saturday off and went to Gander Mtn in Chas. I KNEW I was gonna spend money but I found another casting reel/rod combo and the tackle box got happier.

Joe

Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
WV Chapter LDR

Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.Archion has a spectacular reputation.
Archion.Uberpimp PartsGuyMatt mvose OVC Archion
it may be cold here, but this weekend I get to fly to the windy city for work, I think I'm screwed...
JOIN THE WEST VIRGINIA CHAPTER CLICK HERE
#22needsaface
Old 01-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Post Fiend

Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
Looking at the weather forcast for the temps in Chicago, the screwed won't make any difference.
You won't feel a thing.

Joe, I plug in usually if it will be below 30 degrees.
The engine builds oil pressure faster when the oil is warm.
Engine starts much faster, lots easier on the starter.(Price a replacement, you will be plugging in at 50 degrees)
Plus the defroster works so much quicker.

Not sure where the heater is on a Stroke.
On my IDI I can hear the heater right after I plug in, sounds like an old coffee pot when I listen by the passenger side front wheel.
IDI block heater is at the back right side of my engine.

Look at the cord you are using to plug in, if it is melting the snow or ice away from the cord, you need a bigger AWG cord.
If you want to save a bit of electricity, get a timer rated for at least 1500 watts.
Set the timer for 2 to 3 hours before you want to start your engine.
I have a timed outlet wired to an Intermatic hard wired timer for no snow days.

Right beside that is a regular outlet, always hot.
When snow is in the forcast, mine is always plugged in straight to the regular outlet.
I am ready to roll as soon as there is enough snow to plow.

We waited till 9:30 this morning to start work.
All of the trucks and equipment were slow to start.
The first excavator I jumped in, you could just hear it say.....Man it is to damn cold, you want to work? Your nuts.

They all started, but none of them were happy about it.

"I dig dirt"

FTE Guidelines

FTE Moderator IDI diesel forum

WV Chapter Member
Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Posting Guru

5_labsownus has a good reputation on FTE.5_labsownus has a good reputation on FTE.5_labsownus has a good reputation on FTE.
If you would turn the AC off it would warm up outside. The other day someone left the ice amker on!

Fess Up who did it?

Rod

This is my RCA dog look!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Post Fiend

Thanks Dave. I'm convinced now that I've plugged it in. I don't see any indicators anywhere so I'm assuming there are none. There's nothing in the owners manual about indicators either. Supposedly mine is in the block...totally silent.

Joe

Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Nebraska Chapter LDR

67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation
Hey Joe, one of the texas guys has this setup for his block heater plug. He mounted it in the lower air dam.
Click the image to open in full size.

He used a Marinco plug, I think from an RV dealer. I'm going to do this in the spring, it really looks good, and makes it easy to get to.
Pat W. Chapter Forums Moderator and Official #1 Slackmaster/ Avid Hater of all things wintery
2006 F-250 "Black" ARP studs, EGR delete, SCT tuner
1967 F-100 Project thread

RIP SteveBricks-We'll miss you, bud. CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE NEBRASKA CHAPTER!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Post Fiend

HEY! I like that idea....and you never have to go fumbling around looking for the darn plug behind the bumper again!

Nice idea Pat!

Joe

Old 01-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Nebraska Chapter LDR

67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation
I wish I could take credit for it. kw5413 (Keith) out of Texas came up with it. If you look in his gallery, he's got a few more pics of the mod. I think it's a great idea! Another thing you might want to do, if your getting corrosion on the plug, is to put some dielectric grease on it to help keep the plug clean.
Pat W. Chapter Forums Moderator and Official #1 Slackmaster/ Avid Hater of all things wintery
2006 F-250 "Black" ARP studs, EGR delete, SCT tuner
1967 F-100 Project thread

RIP SteveBricks-We'll miss you, bud. CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE NEBRASKA CHAPTER!
Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Senior User

you could also get a plug in from a big truck and put on your pickup - all the one's i.ve ever saw were chrome and would look pretty good
Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > West Virginia Chapter