Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Michigan Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: just another truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 AM
New User

son.follower is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking New Here and just bought a 250 w/7.3

Hello,

I am new here! From Mt. Pleasant 48858 --- Guess there are two towns called Mt. Pleasant in Michigan, that sure must confuse the heck out of the postal workers!

Anyways, I became the owner of my first F-250 on Friday. I bought it at Fowlerville Ford, (yup in Fowlerville, MI).

The big red Ford is a 2001, extended cab, and has the 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel engine and an automatic transmission with overdrive. The truck had 99,000 miles on it.

Like I said, it is my first F-250 and my first diesel vehicle. I was not preparred for the loudness, but I am getting used to it.

I do have a question, in researching (surfing the net) before I made the purchase, I read a post by an owner or two of the 7.3 Powerstrokes who claimed that Ford had a design flaw on the 7.3's that caused the #8 cylinder to be "fuel starved" due to poor design of the fuel delivery tubes or fuel rail? Any truth to this?

If there are any posts about this I would be intereseted in reading them. Thanks!

Glad this site is here!
Old 01-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Welcome. =)
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Postmaster

bbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to behold
brandon.c.bender bbender785
howdy!

check the 7.3 forum for your question... lotsa knowledge there.

'04 F350 CCLB 6.0L, 4" turbo back, EGR delete, Atlas 40 FICM, blue spring, SGII, 2.8" minipack,
285's on 16x10's, DVD/audio goodies
Old 01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Postmaster

bbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to behold
brandon.c.bender bbender785
btw, i am originally from st. louis... about 15 minutes south of you. amazing how mt pleasant has grown in the last few years (especially all the apartments... holy crap).

'04 F350 CCLB 6.0L, 4" turbo back, EGR delete, Atlas 40 FICM, blue spring, SGII, 2.8" minipack,
285's on 16x10's, DVD/audio goodies
Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
its all them collegee students. =)
i'm 30-40 mins from MP, go there atleast 2 or 3 times a month.
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Posting Guru

randomhero1172 has a good reputation on FTE.randomhero1172 has a good reputation on FTE.
I got a 7.3 and know my way around them Ok - This is something i have never heard of. Your more likely having a Cam position sensor (CPS) go bad or other problems. I also have an 01 with alot of miles (check my sig) and the key is MAINTENANCE! Oil changes, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Congrats on the new ride, they go foreer
*1990 f-350 dually 7.3 IDI 12ft Alum. Box. 205,000.
*2001 dodge 2500 5.9 24v cummins. 140,000mi: Bone dryyy stock!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:42 AM
Elder User

kaboom10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
kaboom ten
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbender85
btw, i am originally from st. louis... about 15 minutes south of you. amazing how mt pleasant has grown in the last few years (especially all the apartments... holy crap).
I have a friend who lives in St.Louis and has a business there. I think it's Mid State Asbestos Removal if I'm not mistaken.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Post Fiend

Tim1 is our PSD 7.3 guy. =)

Well, he's our PSD guy. And cuda jim.. Which reminds me.. I think i need to send an email
Old 02-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
The number 8 injector issue isn't really fuel starvation as its noisey. its called cackle. It was "fixed" by ford with an injector call a long lead injector. Not sure what was done to it but it was marginal at fixing the issue. The superduty guys have come up with many solutions to help with cackle.

AD's, IC, Rear Disc, OBA, Tuned by Tony Built by me!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Post Fiend

just another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputation
What Tim is refering to is the cackle cure kit (cck), You may purchase the kit from this site, or many others. http://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.php...php%3Fcat%3D56

Tim, I thought it was a starvation problem, and would cause premature problems on the number 8??

My name is Pat, i have not purchased a firearm in 2
day (s). I am Strong, I dont need another Firearm, I am happy purchasing ammo for the fire arms I have. Purchasing the wrong ammo is not an excues to buy another firearm.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Post Fiend

tjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to alltjbeggs is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another truck View Post
What Tim is refering to is the cackle cure kit (cck), You may purchase the kit from this site, or many others. http://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.php...php%3Fcat%3D56

Tim, I thought it was a starvation problem, and would cause premature problems on the number 8??
Near as I can tell from listening to the guys talk about cackle as it is air that is in the fuel. I guess I don't know for sure that it's not a starvation issue I just know that many of the guys say when they do the cackle cure they don't gain any performance it just quites the engine. Also i noticed running AD split shots in my 97 that when running them on single shot programming I have very little cackle and when running them on less HP split shot programming I have cackle. I don't know what to make of that but thats what I noticed.

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Post Fiend

just another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbeggs View Post
Near as I can tell from listening to the guys talk about cackle as it is air that is in the fuel. I guess I don't know for sure that it's not a starvation issue I just know that many of the guys say when they do the cackle cure they don't gain any performance it just quites the engine. Also i noticed running AD split shots in my 97 that when running them on single shot programming I have very little cackle and when running them on less HP split shot programming I have cackle. I don't know what to make of that but thats what I noticed.
I agree, like you stated, there was no performance gains..I have read that by doing in the intank mod, and sealing the fuel line you can quite her down alot as well. I havent gone that far yet. Everything cost money......

Now, for the next question, steel head running?

My name is Pat, i have not purchased a firearm in 2
day (s). I am Strong, I dont need another Firearm, I am happy purchasing ammo for the fire arms I have. Purchasing the wrong ammo is not an excues to buy another firearm.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another truck View Post
I agree, like you stated, there was no performance gains..I have read that by doing in the intank mod, and sealing the fuel line you can quite her down alot as well. I havent gone that far yet. Everything cost money......

Now, for the next question, steel head running?
Not sure about the steel head. Haven't heard anybody talking about it. I have never been into the steel head. I would like to but too many projects right now!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Post Fiend

husker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to beholdhusker is a splendid one to behold
Tj, I was lurking here today and saw you are from Muskegon. I'm headed that way towards the end of May. My daughter and her family live there and we are coming up to help a little guy celebrate a 3rd birthday. I have a several Fords as noted in my sig.
78 Bronco
54 F250
64 Thunderbird
Old 04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Post Fiend

Cool, if you need any help while your out here let me know. I can give you a hand!

Transmission by Racer X!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Michigan Chapter