New Here and just bought a 250 w/7.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 AM
son.follower
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Here and just bought a 250 w/7.3

Hello,

I am new here! From Mt. Pleasant 48858 --- Guess there are two towns called Mt. Pleasant in Michigan, that sure must confuse the heck out of the postal workers!

Anyways, I became the owner of my first F-250 on Friday. I bought it at Fowlerville Ford, (yup in Fowlerville, MI).

The big red Ford is a 2001, extended cab, and has the 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel engine and an automatic transmission with overdrive. The truck had 99,000 miles on it.

Like I said, it is my first F-250 and my first diesel vehicle. I was not preparred for the loudness, but I am getting used to it.

I do have a question, in researching (surfing the net) before I made the purchase, I read a post by an owner or two of the 7.3 Powerstrokes who claimed that Ford had a design flaw on the 7.3's that caused the #8 cylinder to be "fuel starved" due to poor design of the fuel delivery tubes or fuel rail? Any truth to this?

If there are any posts about this I would be intereseted in reading them. Thanks!

Glad this site is here!

Old 01-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Welcome. =)

Old 01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
howdy!

check the 7.3 forum for your question... lotsa knowledge there.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
btw, i am originally from st. louis... about 15 minutes south of you. amazing how mt pleasant has grown in the last few years (especially all the apartments... holy crap).

Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
its all them collegee students. =)
i'm 30-40 mins from MP, go there atleast 2 or 3 times a month.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
I got a 7.3 and know my way around them Ok - This is something i have never heard of. Your more likely having a Cam position sensor (CPS) go bad or other problems. I also have an 01 with alot of miles (check my sig) and the key is MAINTENANCE! Oil changes, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Congrats on the new ride, they go foreer

Old 02-10-2008, 05:42 AM
kaboom10
Elder User
Originally Posted by bbender85
btw, i am originally from st. louis... about 15 minutes south of you. amazing how mt pleasant has grown in the last few years (especially all the apartments... holy crap).
I have a friend who lives in St.Louis and has a business there. I think it's Mid State Asbestos Removal if I'm not mistaken.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Tim1 is our PSD 7.3 guy. =)

Well, he's our PSD guy. And cuda jim.. Which reminds me.. I think i need to send an email

Old 02-21-2008, 07:04 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The number 8 injector issue isn't really fuel starvation as its noisey. its called cackle. It was "fixed" by ford with an injector call a long lead injector. Not sure what was done to it but it was marginal at fixing the issue. The superduty guys have come up with many solutions to help with cackle.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:59 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What Tim is refering to is the cackle cure kit (cck), You may purchase the kit from this site, or many others. https://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.ph...php%3Fcat%3D56

Tim, I thought it was a starvation problem, and would cause premature problems on the number 8??

Old 04-09-2008, 11:32 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by just another truck
What Tim is refering to is the cackle cure kit (cck), You may purchase the kit from this site, or many others. https://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.ph...php%3Fcat%3D56

Tim, I thought it was a starvation problem, and would cause premature problems on the number 8??
Near as I can tell from listening to the guys talk about cackle as it is air that is in the fuel. I guess I don't know for sure that it's not a starvation issue I just know that many of the guys say when they do the cackle cure they don't gain any performance it just quites the engine. Also i noticed running AD split shots in my 97 that when running them on single shot programming I have very little cackle and when running them on less HP split shot programming I have cackle. I don't know what to make of that but thats what I noticed.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Near as I can tell from listening to the guys talk about cackle as it is air that is in the fuel. I guess I don't know for sure that it's not a starvation issue I just know that many of the guys say when they do the cackle cure they don't gain any performance it just quites the engine. Also i noticed running AD split shots in my 97 that when running them on single shot programming I have very little cackle and when running them on less HP split shot programming I have cackle. I don't know what to make of that but thats what I noticed.
I agree, like you stated, there was no performance gains..I have read that by doing in the intank mod, and sealing the fuel line you can quite her down alot as well. I havent gone that far yet. Everything cost money......

Now, for the next question, steel head running?

Old 04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by just another truck
I agree, like you stated, there was no performance gains..I have read that by doing in the intank mod, and sealing the fuel line you can quite her down alot as well. I havent gone that far yet. Everything cost money......

Now, for the next question, steel head running?
Not sure about the steel head. Haven't heard anybody talking about it. I have never been into the steel head. I would like to but too many projects right now!

Old 04-11-2008, 02:06 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Tj, I was lurking here today and saw you are from Muskegon. I'm headed that way towards the end of May. My daughter and her family live there and we are coming up to help a little guy celebrate a 3rd birthday. I have a several Fords as noted in my sig.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Cool, if you need any help while your out here let me know. I can give you a hand!

Quick Reply: New Here and just bought a 250 w/7.3