300 six hp and torque possibilities

Old 01-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Can we please stop arguing like a bunch of 13 year olds? How many times must it be said either motor is good?

After all, they're made by FORD.

A Chebbie guy was bragging the other day about his old truck. He was saying.. "Yeah, it's a 289 V8. Smallest V8 Chevie makes." or whatever c.i. motor.

I thought to myself, "Yeah, and Ford's Six is bigger than that and gets better mileage while working just as hard." I didn't say that but I didn't have to. I know what I have. :P

Both the 300 and 302 are stout motors. 'Nuff said.
Who's arguing, I'm making Factual statements, some don't wish to believe, to bloody bad & make false accusations against me to boot.
I just don't happen to like being called a B.S.'r/Liar or being told I'm Ignorant or Bullheaded or don't know what I making statements about or that an Inliner is Only good for one thing & one thing only or that one has to spend exorbitant amounts to make it Perform, so just build a Zombie v8 as it's always cheaper, etc.
But that's no longer here nor there, as I no longer have to read what either of them have to state here.

Last edited by Col Flashman; 01-21-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fomocoguy3
This sounds like a kick a$$ 300, but my problem is I just don't have the cash to build an engine like this, especially since I'm in the middle of restoring everything else on my truck. I don't think my current 302 will last long enough for me to build that engine! It's tapping and rattling and will need to go soon. I've been looking in the paper and can find a stout engine built by someone else for around a grand, so I figure if I'm smart about it I can let someone else lose their **** on the build and come out with a bad a$$ 302 or windsor. Maybe even a 460. I've been doing a lot of thinking over the last 24 hrs or so...
Thank'ee kindly, olde boy.
You do not have to Spend large amounts of Rhino to get decent performance out of a 300 I-6, nor exorbitant amounts of time.
All you have to do is make Any I-6 Breath & it will perform so much better.
Just simply installing an Offenhauser "C" or "DP" Intake (e-Bay $75.00-$200.00) w/ a 390 4V (e-Bay $9.95 rebuildable core-$400.00 comp. carb.), a Header (e-Bay $50-$175.00) will vastly improve Throttle response & kick in a 25% minimum of hp.
Then to take it a step further a Minimal P&P w/ oversized valves w/ stronger springs & a 3-angle grind w/ ARP conectors/bolts/nuts & if you so desire you can install a Comp Cam for that little extra Omph.
You can even cheat a tick & find a 240 head to do that all to by replacing the 300 head w/ it & up the compression as well as the previous mentioned performance tips.
If I read your statement correctly, you all ready have the 302, which is to bad, as you'd have had lots of fun w/ a built 300 I-6.
I ask your pardon if you believe I've been harse in my responses to a couple of posters here, but I will defend myself over abusive comments such as being called a B.S.'r/Liar, etc. & I don't have to prove a bloody thing to them.
If you believe I can be of any assistance to you reguarding working on a 300 I-6, please P.M. me.

Last edited by Col Flashman; 01-21-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:07 PM
fomocoguy3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Col Flashman
Thank'ee kindly, olde boy.
You do not have to Spend large amounts of Rhino to get decent performance out of a 300 I-6, nor exorbitant amounts of time.
All you have to do is make Any I-6 Breath & it will perform so much better.
Just simply installing an Offenhauser "C" or "DP" Intake (e-Bay $75.00-$200.00) w/ a 390 4V (e-Bay $9.95 rebuildable core-$400.00 comp. carb.), a Header (e-Bay $50-$175.00) will vastly improve Throttle response & kick in a 25% minimum of hp.
Then to take it a step further a Minimal P&P w/ oversized valves w/ stronger springs & a 3-angle grind w/ ARP conectors/bolts/nuts & if you so desire you can install a Comp Cam for that little extra Omph.
You can even cheat a tick & find a 240 head to do that all to by replacing the 300 head w/ it & up the compression as well as the previous mentioned performance tips.
If I read your statement correctly, you all ready have the 302, which is to bad, as you'd have had lots of fun w/ a built 300 I-6.
I ask your pardon if you believe I've been harse in my responses to a couple of posters here, but I will defend myself over abusive comments such as being called a B.S.'r/Liar, etc. & I don't have to prove a bloody thing to them.
If you believe I can be of any assistance to you reguarding working on a 300 I-6, please P.M. me.
I have the existing original 302, but it's pretty warn out, which is why I'm exploring options. I'm not going to do anything untill it warms up a bit here, since my garage is under my house and isn't tall enough for a cherry picker, and I'm not real fond of pulling engines when it's 15 degrees outside. I apprieciate your input on your build. I know from what I've read here and elsewhere that you can make good power from both a 300 and 302, but I've done the small block thing before and I'm just wanting something different. I think what it may come down to is either a hopped up 300 or some sort of big block. Obviously you feel pretty confident in the 300, and it seems that a lot of people do. Now I just need to make up my mind!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:21 AM
mousetrap65
Junior User
i'v had the 300 the 302 the351w and 351m and a 460 and a6ltr power stroke.
the only one I will never own again is the power stroke, more time in for servcthan on the road the 460 do any thing as long as you keep the gas flowing lots of fun untill gas
got so high. the 351 m or w best overall truck engines imo not super mpg but power
when and where you need it good work engines the 302 good tire smoker light short distance towing commuter the 300 simple to keep runing great puller heavy towing
not the best on freeway or on long uphill pulls hate being passed by semis pulling fishing boat home 302 or 351 are better for that. one more thing I like about the300
I feel this is the best engine for a first truck the simple maintinace and stout reliability
of this engine makes it a very good first time owner on alimmited budget as most teens have.my son has learned a ton of stuff and enjoys the fact that he can do things on his owe truck by himself and imo that is priceless. in the end I would like to say if we all liked the same things every time this ball of dirt we call earth would be very booooring lets be respectfull of the wealth of knowlage and diversity avalible to us here at FTE

Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 AM
IcemanV8
Senior User
You guys think it's 'arguing' when someone says something good about an engine other than the 300. When a guy already has a 302 with a better intake and heads. An excellent starting point. It's arguing... when someone wants him to keep the engine he has.

It's a siteknown thing that people who own 300's in the 300 forum are pro-300/anti-V8. That's why there was a thread on the 300 vs 351w. Everyone knows the 351w will outhaul a 300-6. No one deserves a forum that they can come in and bust nuts over how torquey and how much better than a V8 their 300-6's are, and not expect some people with experience with both engines to come in and share their opinion.

I've said this before, but I've towed a couple of things with an F-150 with the EFI 300-6. I had driven it before I ever found this site, and before I had my current truck. I thought it was weak and slow, but I noticed it got up good from a dead stop. Then ,to come here and read what some of you post about the 300 amazed me. That's all.

Continue nutting on your keyboard about 300-6's.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
breisr
Senior User
Originally Posted by Col Flashman
Typical of Both your standard come backs & you are the ones being Ignorant & Bullheaded & I got those Numbers straight from the Dyno Read-out you v8 Zombies you.
AND just because you Did Not read &/or Comprehend part of my Statement, I'll Reiterate that Portion of it for you.
"ALL of These Parts Can Be Bought Right Off the Parts Shelf", meaning the Internal engine parts. Just pick up a Hollander's & have a field day, as all of the parts that'd give you a Mild to a Wild Street Rod Build are all right there in B&W.
I could have gotten more hp by going w/ a couple of different parts, but I didn't want the standard v8 Zombie engine Lope & I didn't want a Gas Guzzler.
And NOT for Thousands & Thousands of Dollars that you keep Ranting about & Yes you Both are ALWAYS Ranting that the Only thing a 300 is good for is a Slow Hauling truck engine & that's all it's good for.
Custom Classic Trucks magazine a few years ago Published an Article about how to Build the 300 I-6 into 500hp Street Rod & it didn't cost Thousands & Thousands of dollars. It was just a tick more (because they went to Clifford whos prices are exorbitant) than your typical Zombie v-8 302 build that is so boring & repetitively done by everyone & their dog.
And once again, all you have to do is make Any I-6 Breath & it will perform so much better. Just simply installing an Offenhauser "C" or "DP" Intake w/ a 390 4V, a Header will vastly improve Throttle response & kick in a 25% minimum of hp. Then to take it a step further a Minimal P&P w/ oversized valves w/ stronger springs & a 3-angle grind & if you so desire you can install a Comp Cam for that little extra Omph. You can even cheat a tick & find a 240 head & up the compression a tick as well as the previous mentioned performance tips.
This is comparabal, if not cheaper than doing the same to a 302.
Plus I've yet to have an Inliner Self-Destruct that I've had v8's do used under the same circumstance's, pulling, hauling, daily driver or racing.
You believe that an Inliner is Only good for one thing, that's fine for you, But don't you dare come here & attempt to dissuade others that wish to know what others here have been able to make an Inliner More than you believe they can be built to be.
That's why your are a Stuck in a Rut v8 Zombie. You have one mind set & one mind set only, Inliners are Only good for one thing & one thing only & v8's are better for everything else.

You are a very smart person, and I agree with you 100%!!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 PM
The_SnowMan710
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
holy hell...little more than i bargained for, reading all of that...but ya, iceman, idk wat 300 u were driving, but it must have been weak or old or something, the one's i've driven/owned have all done very well for me and would put it up against any 302, 305, wat ever. truth of the matter is that horsepower is really a mean nothing number...it's a measure of potential energy, whereas torque is wats going to get u were u wanna go. the I6 is in it's range on the lower end of the rpm scale, whereas u v8's are better suited in the upper end of things........of course u all kno that already i'm sure ut i thought i'd say it for the benefit of all.

with that said, let it be known that i was going to swap my 300 for a 351w in my 81 f-150 but ultimately decided against it b/c of the fact that i didn't wanna spend the time and money on the mods to fit the thing in there. and after some reading and research, i found that w/ a few bolt on upgrades, which are WIDELY available (i worked in a parts store for 2 years, i kno i'm right here) i can build a 6 cylinder to keep up w/ if not spank a few v8's out there at a fraction of the price and headache. wat i'm saying is that unless ur absolutely sure this is wat u want (swapping ur 302 for the 300), be prepared to be in it for the long haul b/c this is not going to be an over night ordeal.

if it were me, i'd keep the 302, despite the fact that i like the 300.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 PM
fomocoguy3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by The_SnowMan710
holy hell...little more than i bargained for, reading all of that...but ya, iceman, idk wat 300 u were driving, but it must have been weak or old or something, the one's i've driven/owned have all done very well for me and would put it up against any 302, 305, wat ever. truth of the matter is that horsepower is really a mean nothing number...it's a measure of potential energy, whereas torque is wats going to get u were u wanna go. the I6 is in it's range on the lower end of the rpm scale, whereas u v8's are better suited in the upper end of things........of course u all kno that already i'm sure ut i thought i'd say it for the benefit of all.

with that said, let it be known that i was going to swap my 300 for a 351w in my 81 f-150 but ultimately decided against it b/c of the fact that i didn't wanna spend the time and money on the mods to fit the thing in there. and after some reading and research, i found that w/ a few bolt on upgrades, which are WIDELY available (i worked in a parts store for 2 years, i kno i'm right here) i can build a 6 cylinder to keep up w/ if not spank a few v8's out there at a fraction of the price and headache. wat i'm saying is that unless ur absolutely sure this is wat u want (swapping ur 302 for the 300), be prepared to be in it for the long haul b/c this is not going to be an over night ordeal.

if it were me, i'd keep the 302, despite the fact that i like the 300.
Thanks for the straight forward, unbiased input. I apprieciate it!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 PM
The_SnowMan710
Fleet Mechanic
that's wat i'm here for, fellas, besides, like one guy said earlier, they're all fords anyway

Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well i ahve had both. The 300 six an 302. Ill say this the 302 before fuel, injection was a dog pure an simple. The 300 was way better with better horsepower an more torque. The 302 EFI changed all that. It really woke that motor up an made it much better.

Ill also say this the 305 Chevy was a dog period. Was absolutly gutless fuel injected or not. One reason why the camaro went away is they had a 305. Ford had the 5.0 in the Mustang. Fuel injected. The mustang would blow away any Camaro with the 305 in it..

Hey like Kenny said. Its all Ford so its good.. Right now I have a 96 150 302. Take the fuel injection away I would want a 6 instead.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 150ford
Well i ahve had both. The 300 six an 302. Ill say this the 302 before fuel, injection was a dog pure an simple. The 300 was way better with better horsepower an more torque. The 302 EFI changed all that. It really woke that motor up an made it much better.

Ill also say this the 305 Chevy was a dog period. Was absolutly gutless fuel injected or not. One reason why the camaro went away is they had a 305. Ford had the 5.0 in the Mustang. Fuel injected. The mustang would blow away any Camaro with the 305 in it..

Hey like Kenny said. Its all Ford so its good.. Right now I have a 96 150 302. Take the fuel injection away I would want a 6 instead.
EFI made a big difference in the 300 too. On paper it shows a 45- 50 HP increase. About the 305, I can say I hate those things. My dad had two of those in his Camino. Both blew, one right after the other. They ran pretty good though but that's because my dad is a mechanic from Hell. He could build anything to run.

Like you said about your 302, I wouldn't want to drive a carb'd 300.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
The_SnowMan710
Fleet Mechanic
i've got a buddy of mine that is convinced 110% that his broke 305 w/ a 700r4 can out pull my 300 w/ the 4spd. i can't remember the last time i laughed so hard, all this 305 has is an RV cam and he's been driving it (in nebraska, mind you) w/o an air filter and the 700r4, well let's just say i've seen bowls of pudding with a stronger constitution. The only thing he's got going for him is the new 15" cooper discover ST's he put on her. mine is still runnin around w/ baldies but i got plans in the works...

Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 150ford
Ill also say this the 305 Chevy was a dog period. Was absolutly gutless fuel injected or not. One reason why the camaro went away is they had a 305. Ford had the 5.0 in the Mustang. Fuel injected. The mustang would blow away any Camaro with the 305 in it.
The 305 wasn't that bad. The biggest problem with it was when it was developed. No auto engine that came to exist in the 70's was worth a crap. If you look at the bore:stroke ratio of the 305, which was what people hated about it the most, and compare it to the engines of today you'll see that it was well ahead of its time.

I find it hard to believe that the Camaro went away because of the 305. They built them for a decade after the last 305 was installed in an f-body and the Camaro laid waste to the Mustang for that entire decade. Even the 305 powered cars could run with a stock 5.0 with an auto.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Silver Streak
The 305 wasn't that bad. The biggest problem with it was when it was developed. No auto engine that came to exist in the 70's was worth a crap. If you look at the bore:stroke ratio of the 305, which was what people hated about it the most, and compare it to the engines of today you'll see that it was well ahead of its time.

I find it hard to believe that the Camaro went away because of the 305. They built them for a decade after the last 305 was installed in an f-body and the Camaro laid waste to the Mustang for that entire decade. Even the 305 powered cars could run with a stock 5.0 with an auto.
SS, what *is* the bore and stroke of a 305? You have my curiosity up now. I thought somebody said on FTE before that a 305 and 318 had the same HP as a 300?? If this is the case I would think a 305 would be pretty doggy (for a V8). Can the 305 outpull a 300?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
I believe it's 3.74x3.48; Basically a debored 350. The big problem with the 305 was the bore size. The ultimate deciding factor of how much power you can make is how much air you can put in an engine. The limitation on that is valve size, and the limitation on valve size is bore diameter. When the 305 came out everyone thought it was impossible to make power with a bore under 4", and that was somewhat true because very few people knew how to get good airflow through small valves. This belief was a strike against the 305 before it ever turned a tire. Airflow couldn't be increased without redesigning the basic architecture of the heads, so nobody ever messed with it. Given modern technology the 305 could be made to run very well. In stock form they are nothing special in EFI form and are dogs in carb form. An interesting tidbit: The modern LS1(one of the best engines ever IMHO) and the 305 share an almost identical bore:stroke ratio at 1.07.

I doubt a stock 305 could do anything with a 300, but if it was properly built it could just like anything else.

The Dodge van assigned to me has a fuelie 318 in it and it runs great. I would have sworn it was a 360, but it's not. It probably helps that it has 3.91 gears, but it still runs strong and hauls that van around effortlessly even when fully loaded. In equal vehicles I'm fairly certain it would out perform a 300, but maybe not by much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 300 six hp and torque possibilities