2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise....??

Old 01-19-2008, 09:47 PM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding noise....??

Hello....I'm new to the board and hopefully I'm not the only one who has had this problem....because it has me worried....I have a 06 F-150 4X4 and today while driving down the road I heard this noise coming from the front of my truck and it seemed like it was more on the passenger side.....so I slowed down thinking maybe I had picked up a stick and it was dragging on the road....once I slowed down and came to a stop the grinding slowed down and there was this big pop.....I didn't think much of it.....got out of the truck and figured it was just a stick and it fell out.

Well 5 hours later I was driving and heard this same noise coming from the same spot......so I hurried to pull over and see if I could hear the nosie coming from the transfer case or something and sure enough once I stopped it made this pop and stopped......I worked the 4WD and it seemed to be working fine.....it almost sounds like a bearing but the poping whenever I slow down makes me think its the 4WD trying to engage and once I slow down it goes in.....anyways it has me confused and I know if I take it to the shop I will never be able to have them hear that sound...this truck has maybe been in 4WD 6 times....and never drove hard in 4WD......so I was just curious if someone out here has heard or had this happen to their truck.....thanks in advance.

Last edited by bowhunk1; 01-19-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:49 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like your IWE’s, they engage the axel at the wheel. It’s common for them to develop vacuum problems and partially engage/disengage going down the road. Common places to start are by checking for moisture in the vacuum lines, leaks and proper operation of the solenoid valve. Being that you are probably still in warranty though, I’d just take it in and tell them you hear grinding from said wheel. Be aware, prolonged driving will destroy it.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:00 PM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by screwy
Sounds like your IWE’s, they engage the axel at the wheel. It’s common for them to develop vacuum problems and partially engage/disengage going down the road. Common places to start are by checking for moisture in the vacuum lines, leaks and proper operation of the solenoid valve. Being that you are probably still in warranty though, I’d just take it in and tell them you hear grinding from said wheel. Be aware, prolonged driving will destroy it.
Hey thanks for the reply....Its for sure going in the shop soon....and I will be sure to mention that to them.....thanks for the help

Old 01-20-2008, 12:34 AM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree with screwy.... its very easy to fix, provided that you catch it soon and dont destroy a hub. check the vacuum lines for moisture which could be coming from the actuator solenoid. if its really bad, and happens often, then i would just drive in 4wd until you get it fixed... that way your hubs are always fully engaged.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:50 PM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Well the noise happened again this morning on the way to church......but this time I slowed down to 30mph and with it still making that grinding noise I put it in 4WD(HIGH).....and instantly that sound when away.....so like said before it must be the IWE (can someone explain what that stands for)....??? Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:00 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I understand it is a fansy way to say auto hub.

Integrated Wheel End (IWE) disconnect technology..........

I just had the same problem today, hopefully it is just moisture in the vacuum lines, b/c I did get it muddy today, and washed it.....

Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 PM
VFR_Man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Integrated Wheel End. If you google Warn IWE, you'll get a hit on Warn's site with the description.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:46 PM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MBBFord
From what I understand it is a fansy way to say auto hub.

Integrated Wheel End (IWE) disconnect technology..........

I just had the same problem today, hopefully it is just moisture in the vacuum lines, b/c I did get it muddy today, and washed it.....
So what your saying is this can be caused from just washing your truck....?? Exactly where is this IWE located....is this something under the hood or on the tire.....??? and does both front wheels have there sperate IWE.....???

Thanks

Old 01-20-2008, 06:32 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really not up to date with the new stuff, but sounds like the IWE is the auto hub at each wheel.

There is a solenoid under the hood that can get wet, and mess it up/mess up the 4wd.

My truck has 100k miles, and it did the same thing today for the first time.
I took the wheel off unplugged the vacuum line, let it dry out after I sprayed some starter fluid around it(don't know if that help).

Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
your IWE works from spring pressure/vacuum..... as your engine is running, the vacuum applied to the IWE will pull against the hub, and keep it unlocked.... then when you shut your engine off, the vacuum drops, and the spring inside will lock the hub.... test it our sometime.... try to turn the front axles when the engine is off.... you cant (or shouldnt be able to) do it. then try it with the engine idling.... should spin freely.

well, the solenoid for this is located on the firewall behind the battery. when you turn your switch to 4wd, it tells the solenoid to open, causing the vacuum to drop and this allows the hubs to engage. then when you go back to 2wd, the vacuum is reapplied to the IWE and opens the hub.

its common for the solenoids to get water inside them from your cowling under the windshield.... there is a updated solenoid available which has a bulit in shield to channel the water away from the solenoid.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:55 PM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mattd17
your IWE works from spring pressure/vacuum..... as your engine is running, the vacuum applied to the IWE will pull against the hub, and keep it unlocked.... then when you shut your engine off, the vacuum drops, and the spring inside will lock the hub.... test it our sometime.... try to turn the front axles when the engine is off.... you cant (or shouldnt be able to) do it. then try it with the engine idling.... should spin freely.

well, the solenoid for this is located on the firewall behind the battery. when you turn your switch to 4wd, it tells the solenoid to open, causing the vacuum to drop and this allows the hubs to engage. then when you go back to 2wd, the vacuum is reapplied to the IWE and opens the hub.

its common for the solenoids to get water inside them from your cowling under the windshield.... there is a updated solenoid available which has a bulit in shield to channel the water away from the solenoid.

Thanks so much for that piece of information....that is something I will let the dealership know tomorrow....and its funny you should say that....because last night....I jacked the front in and was checking to make sure it wasn't my bearings and the passenger side wheel spun freely....so that is telling me that the whole operation is not working as it should......and you are for sure that my 2006 F-150 4X4 is like what your describing.....???

Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
your wheel will still spin if it is off the ground.... and thats because the t-case will still allow that if your in 2wd. the way to test the hubs is to keep the tires on the ground, and try moving the axle shafts..... they should move while the engine is running, and not while the engine if off. now, make sure that your switch is in 2wd when you do this, or else they will be engaged regardless.

when you switch your switch, it also tells thw t-case shift motor to angage the front drive shaft..... i didnt mention this earlier since it really doesnt affect your hubs.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:09 PM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Ok well I wasn't gonna be able to sleep tonight without checking that.....so this is what I found out:

With the truck not running both front tires will spin freely....so I started the truck and they still spinned freely....I put the truck in 4WD and they locked up just like you said...so I turned off the truck and checked them once again...and they both spun freely......so what exactly is that telling me....that both my IWE's (hubs) are bad.....or is it the solenoid that is bad...??

I forgot to add to the post that the truck was already going to the shop because in the past it would not engage into 4WD....and this would happen all the time.........so my question for everyone is....what do I need to make sure they change out on my truck.......???

Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 PM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Well I went out and checked it the way you said and I could get the axles to turn with the wheels on the ground.....it was in 2wd and running but I wasn't able to turn them....unsure as to what it could be now....like I said in the past I have had problems with getting it in 4wd now its engaging whenever it wants to.....I was told that my first problem could be the actuator..?? All I know its on the right hand side of the motor when your standing in front of the truck with the hood up.....it has a bunch of black tubing lines going to it...just out of curiousty what is that thing.....???

your wheel will still spin if it is off the ground.... and thats because the t-case will still allow that if your in 2wd. the way to test the hubs is to keep the tires on the ground, and try moving the axle shafts..... they should move while the engine is running, and not while the engine if off. now, make sure that your switch is in 2wd when you do this, or else they will be engaged regardless.

when you switch your switch, it also tells thw t-case shift motor to angage the front drive shaft..... i didnt mention this earlier since it really doesnt affect your hubs.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
sounds to me like you do have a bad solenoid..... it is loacted on the pass side of the firewall, behind the battery. if you take it to the dealer, they should give you the new style solenoid, which is supposed to help prevent this fomr happening. its a very easy fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding noise....??