2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise....??

Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Joe04F150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here it is...

Old 02-14-2008, 12:49 PM
HiVoltageFx4
New User
I replaced solenoid. Still no 4x4 and have grinding what can I check or what is going here.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:23 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Joe04F150
Here it is...

Well checked yesterday and Im pleased to say that I have the shield around mine also. So now worries there for me.

HiVoltage..did you check the area where VFR_Man is talking about? (see his picture that he posted). check both passenger and drivers sides.

Last edited by SDTruckMan; 02-16-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:48 PM
CTremb80
Freshman User
Iwe

So, had the same problem with the grinding noise coming from my front left hub that sounded like the solenoid problem with mine being an '04. so, i went to the dealership and bought the new one with the water sheild over it and replaced it....did not fix problem. Next i jacked my truck up and followed the vacuum lines all the way to make sure that there were no leaks and then i unhooked them to let them dry out to make sure there was no moisture in the line....did not fix problem.

So took it to the dealership (becuase i couldnt find anyone in town that would work on the new f-150 4X4 system) and they told me that the "left front hub assymbly needed to be replaced. So they did that and told me that it was fixed.Went to pick it up and right as i am pulling in my driveway (5 miles away from dealership) the sound starts again. So i turned around and went right back to the dealership and told them that it wasnt fixed.

my question here becomes....if they took the outside left hub assembly out and replaced it....shouldnt they have seen that there was nothing wrong with it (aparently there wasnt because it didnt fix the problem) and try and look for something else that was causing the problem instead of just replacing it and hoping the problem would stop!!!

After a heated discussion with the service manager because he wanted to charge me even more so he could change the right front hub assembly (just to see if that would fix it, with no diagnoses of why that would fix it) . I got very upset telling him that i am not ignorant and that just "throwing parts" at my truck until it is fixed isnt the answer being that i am not rich and the dealership doesnt have the cheapest labor charges if you know what i mean. After all this they decided that they would take more time to further diagnose the problem before they did any more work. After taking apart the left hub assembly again they found that they needed to change the "INSIDE left front hub assebly"...because aparently the first time they only replaced the "OUTSIDE" one.

Well, i am not sure what they fixed and what they didnt, but the paper they gave me said that they replaced the inside and outside hub assembly and that finally fixed the problem. THANK GOD! I just felt like they were giving me the run around. I know the dealership is the most knowledgable...but i always feel like i am getting jerked around. Beleive me..i will avoid the dealership at all cost from now on.

to rap it up.....NO MORE NOISE!!!!!!!

SORRY, i just needed to vent after a tough week. I love my truck and am a Ford finatic, but this week has lost alot of faith in dealerships for me.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:17 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Believe me, I have lost all respect for FOMOCO. I was a die hard Ford man, and so is/was everyone in my family.

I don't see how their screw up should cost the custom money (after the custom just paid $35k for it).

I had this problem, and have no clue why it did it....
I also had my spark plugs change, and every plug the dealer attempted to take out broke, and it cost ME over $2k!!!!!!!!

I will always keep my ol' Ford trucks, but will NEVER buy anything new from them again.

Like you, just wanted to vent a little.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:15 PM
islander1808
Senior User
Might be a leak in the vacuum lines themselves. They have a tendency of coming in contact with the exhaust manifold due to some great engineering on Fords part. Have them do a vacuum pressure test to make sure that it is maintaining vacuum pressure. If it isn't then you probably have a leak somewhere.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:36 PM
fordzilla502
New User
POS front actuator assy...

I had one dealer change the soleniod and two days later in really cold weather it did the same thing. Took it to another dealer with the invoice from the other dealer and they changed the left hub. I was right at 35800 miles. Five more days and another cold snap and ice and no FWD. I'm completely disgusted with the handling of this problem. Now I know it's not isolated makes it even more evident that I'm going to have to fix it myself. I think I need another left actuator as "grinding" was present. Now it won't do anything with the front hubs. I hear the xfer case move to position and hub makes noise then nothing. This should be parts replaced by FORD but it sounds like THEY don't even know why. I asked them why my hub went out and their reply was my actuator had water in it. I then asked if there is any way to keep the water out and got the shoulder shrug and a "No."

Old 03-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Joe04F150
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordzilla502
I had one dealer change the soleniod and two days later in really cold weather it did the same thing. I asked them why my hub went out and their reply was my actuator had water in it. I then asked if there is any way to keep the water out and got the shoulder shrug and a "No."
If they replaced the solenoid then they should have put the new one with the plastic hood and that "should" stop the water from getting in.

Ford really dropped the ball by not recalling these trucks for the solenoid and the spark plugs! But honestly I think I'd buy another when it's time for a new one, overall great trucks.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 AM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Can you explain a little more on the spark plugs....only reason I ask is because I have noticed from take-off when I really get down on it....the motor acts as if its missing....but I don't know if its the computer doing it because the RPMs are high...but since you have said this about the spark plugs just curious if it may be them.

Originally Posted by Joe04F150
If they replaced the solenoid then they should have put the new one with the plastic hood and that "should" stop the water from getting in.

Ford really dropped the ball by not recalling these trucks for the solenoid and the spark plugs! But honestly I think I'd buy another when it's time for a new one, overall great trucks.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Joe04F150
Senior User
By Spark plugs I meant the design and the potential to cause serious damage when trying to replace them. Check out the link below.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...-question.html

Old 03-05-2008, 04:12 PM
fordzilla502
New User
Thumbs down 2005 4x4

I have always had a Ford truck so I know their track record. This is the worst truck I ever had. I'm so ticked I told my Chevy buds I might just switch teams. The absolutely worst time to not have the 4x4 go out...it went. This design should go into the "Biggest Flop" engineering books.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 PM
islander1808
Senior User
I am sorry that you have had so much trouble. My 05 F150 never gave me any real issues. I guess I might have been lucky

Old 03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
fordzilla502
New User
Extended warranty...

What ever you do make sure you get the extended warranty because it started right at 35900 miles.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 AM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Very good point...I agree....I started having problems with my 4X4 when I had about 35,000....and I went ahead and paid $1100 for 5yr/75000.

Originally Posted by fordzilla502
What ever you do make sure you get the extended warranty because it started right at 35900 miles.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:19 PM
fordzilla502
New User
Imissed the boat. I'm thinking service manual, fix it myself, then send Ford the how-to...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding noise....??