Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #31  
Old 02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
MBBFord's Avatar
MBBFord MBBFord is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 8,542
MBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to behold
It happened to my 04, and the vacuum lines were connected, and I never know when it'll do it.
__________________

79 Bronco 400 C6 NP205 D44 9" 4.56 gears Lockers 6" lift and 37" SS Iroks
77 F-100 302 C4 D44 31" M/Ts
04 F150 Lariat Screw 4x4 34" Nito Trail Grapplers
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 PM
VFR_Man's Avatar
VFR_Man VFR_Man is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 662
VFR_Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
SDTruckMan,
If the lines were completely disconnected, the IWE's would have been engaged all the time. Yours obviously were not engaged all the time, so I don't completely buy their diagnosis of being disconnected. Poorly connected, maybe. Your symptoms are consistent with a smaller leak, grinding when the manifold vacuum is low and can't overcome the leak to keep the IWE disengaged.

Had I seen your earlier post soon enough, I would have suggested just disconnecting and plugging the lines and ports at the IWE's for the drive to the dealer to keep them locked in the whole way without running in 4wd on dry pavement.

With the truck running, you can crawl under the front, disconnect a line, listen to the IWE click in, and verify that the half shaft is locked. If the shaft has to turn more than a tooth to lock in, the teeth on that IWE may be gnarled up. If they just click in every time, you're probably good to go.

The vacuum hose routing near the IWE can be fairly poor from the factory. My friend's truck has almost no slack in the lines between the lower zip tie and the axle so the line gets yanked when the wheel turns. I can see that being a source for leaking eventually.
__________________
2007 F150 SCab Lariat 5.4L 4x4
1995 Ranger XLT 4.0L 4x2 LB
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 AM
SDTruckMan SDTruckMan is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 747
SDTruckMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_Man
SDTruckMan,
If the lines were completely disconnected, the IWE's would have been engaged all the time. Yours obviously were not engaged all the time, so I don't completely buy their diagnosis of being disconnected. Poorly connected, maybe. Your symptoms are consistent with a smaller leak, grinding when the manifold vacuum is low and can't overcome the leak to keep the IWE disengaged.

Had I seen your earlier post soon enough, I would have suggested just disconnecting and plugging the lines and ports at the IWE's for the drive to the dealer to keep them locked in the whole way without running in 4wd on dry pavement.

With the truck running, you can crawl under the front, disconnect a line, listen to the IWE click in, and verify that the half shaft is locked. If the shaft has to turn more than a tooth to lock in, the teeth on that IWE may be gnarled up. If they just click in every time, you're probably good to go.

The vacuum hose routing near the IWE can be fairly poor from the factory. My friend's truck has almost no slack in the lines between the lower zip tie and the axle so the line gets yanked when the wheel turns. I can see that being a source for leaking eventually.

I alternated between 2wd and 4wd on the way over cause I didnt know which would be worse, Roads were wet, is that still considered dry pavement?
Dude.. im not mechanically inclined.. you got any pictures of where the lines are and where im suppose to disconnect at?
__________________
2007 F150 4X4 - SuperCrew FX4
Dark Shadow Grey
1st Mod - LineX
2nd Mod - Tinted Front Windows
3rd Mod - Truxedo Tonneau Cover
4th Mod - Mag Light Mount
5th Mod - WeatherTech Front Liners
6th Mod - Edge Evo
7th Mod - EZ Down
8th Mod - Nitto TGs
9th Mod - Bed Lights


Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-06-2008, 12:09 AM
VFR_Man's Avatar
VFR_Man VFR_Man is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 662
VFR_Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wet is better than bone dry for sure.

Just poke your head under there, I think you'll have a hard time missing the vacuum line plugged into the top of the knuckle. It's a siamese'd twin line that is clipped in beside the brake line down to the IWE housing.
__________________
2007 F150 SCab Lariat 5.4L 4x4
1995 Ranger XLT 4.0L 4x2 LB
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-10-2008, 01:05 AM
SDTruckMan SDTruckMan is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 747
SDTruckMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well round two for me, started again last night (saturday)on the way to work.
Just had it fixed on wednesday so it lasted 3 whopping big days. I havent been able to climb under the truck to take a look VFR Man cause its been snowing/blowing big time.
Is it safe to drive with the 4wheel drive on?

Im beginning to think that this truck is gonna be a pain in the ****, its been in the shop more times in the past 9 months since ive owned it then my last truck that I own and still have in the last 9 yrs that I owned that.
__________________
2007 F150 4X4 - SuperCrew FX4
Dark Shadow Grey
1st Mod - LineX
2nd Mod - Tinted Front Windows
3rd Mod - Truxedo Tonneau Cover
4th Mod - Mag Light Mount
5th Mod - WeatherTech Front Liners
6th Mod - Edge Evo
7th Mod - EZ Down
8th Mod - Nitto TGs
9th Mod - Bed Lights


Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-10-2008, 11:01 AM
VFR_Man's Avatar
VFR_Man VFR_Man is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 662
VFR_Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTruckMan
Is it safe to drive with the 4wheel drive on?
Not on any roads that have substantial traction.

I'd just about bet you have a leak in the vacuum lines or the IWE's are leaking themselves. It usually happens when you're on the throttle and the manifold vacuum is low, right? That situation is a PITA to diagnose since it works fine when the truck is just sitting at idle.

I'd still suggest just unplugging the vacuum from the IWE's until it gets figured out. It's better to drive around with just the IWE's engaged instead of the whole 4wd system. Unplugging the vacuum source line at the solenoid and capping it off is probably the easiest way now that I think about it again.
__________________
2007 F150 SCab Lariat 5.4L 4x4
1995 Ranger XLT 4.0L 4x2 LB
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
SDTruckMan SDTruckMan is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 747
SDTruckMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_Man
Not on any roads that have substantial traction.

I'd just about bet you have a leak in the vacuum lines or the IWE's are leaking themselves. It usually happens when you're on the throttle and the manifold vacuum is low, right? That situation is a PITA to diagnose since it works fine when the truck is just sitting at idle.

I'd still suggest just unplugging the vacuum from the IWE's until it gets figured out. It's better to drive around with just the IWE's engaged instead of the whole 4wd system. Unplugging the vacuum source line at the solenoid and capping it off is probably the easiest way now that I think about it again.
On throttle yes, if im off throttle but still moving you cant hear it other than a hum type noise. Not sure what you mean by "manifold vacuum is low". How do you know?
I took a quick peak under the truck last night. Is the connection your talking about on the front side of the wheel or back side of the wheel?
Know you said eariler that it was 2 cables that Y off from each other. Which I saw but not sure which one is which
__________________
2007 F150 4X4 - SuperCrew FX4
Dark Shadow Grey
1st Mod - LineX
2nd Mod - Tinted Front Windows
3rd Mod - Truxedo Tonneau Cover
4th Mod - Mag Light Mount
5th Mod - WeatherTech Front Liners
6th Mod - Edge Evo
7th Mod - EZ Down
8th Mod - Nitto TGs
9th Mod - Bed Lights


Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-10-2008, 06:09 PM
VFR_Man's Avatar
VFR_Man VFR_Man is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 662
VFR_Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
When the throttle is closed, the intake manifold vacuum will be the highest. When it's wide open, intake manifold vacuum will be the the lowest.

The connection is pretty much right on top of the steering knuckle, just outboard of the outer CV joint of the half shaft. The vacuum line is siamese'd, a big one molded next to a smaller one, two in one. It doesn't split, it plugs on to a double barb.
Click the image to open in full size.
See that lowest zip tie spot in the background? That is a prime suspect for leaks in my opinion.

Damn, I need to get that friggen salt off of there.
__________________
2007 F150 SCab Lariat 5.4L 4x4
1995 Ranger XLT 4.0L 4x2 LB

Last edited by VFR_Man; 02-10-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 PM
SDTruckMan SDTruckMan is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 747
SDTruckMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well got to the dealer, they took me right in. They put it on the rack and I got to see under the truck with the mechanic. He told last time the drivers side was unplugged. Told him that it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. So he checked and that side was plugged in so we went to the drivers side and that side was unplugged. He thought it was odd that it had come unplugged again.
So we got to comparing drivers side vs passenger side and saw that the passenger side had extra slack in the line. Where the drivers side had the slack but was up farther into the truck. So he pulled it down and attached a ....zip tie.....to hold it down.
He figured that when I turned a tight turn to the right that it would come unplugged due to the cable not having the extra slack down at the axle.
Glad we got that figured out. So how concerned should I be about the zip tie though

Thanks for all your help VFR_Man.
__________________
2007 F150 4X4 - SuperCrew FX4
Dark Shadow Grey
1st Mod - LineX
2nd Mod - Tinted Front Windows
3rd Mod - Truxedo Tonneau Cover
4th Mod - Mag Light Mount
5th Mod - WeatherTech Front Liners
6th Mod - Edge Evo
7th Mod - EZ Down
8th Mod - Nitto TGs
9th Mod - Bed Lights


Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 PM
06fsc 06fsc is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southaven
Posts: 13
06fsc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got mine back from the dealer yesterday and no problems yet. They changed the solenoid.
SD while it was on the rack did they turn the wheels to see if it would go full travel in both directions? If it doesn't I'd replace it with a longer piece of hose. Guess you could splice some and zip tie and seal the ends to keep water out.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-12-2008, 10:19 PM
SDTruckMan SDTruckMan is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 747
SDTruckMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06fsc
SD while it was on the rack did they turn the wheels to see if it would go full travel in both directions?
Better yet we took it for a drive and took some tight turns.
__________________
2007 F150 4X4 - SuperCrew FX4
Dark Shadow Grey
1st Mod - LineX
2nd Mod - Tinted Front Windows
3rd Mod - Truxedo Tonneau Cover
4th Mod - Mag Light Mount
5th Mod - WeatherTech Front Liners
6th Mod - Edge Evo
7th Mod - EZ Down
8th Mod - Nitto TGs
9th Mod - Bed Lights


Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-13-2008, 12:22 AM
VFR_Man's Avatar
VFR_Man VFR_Man is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 662
VFR_Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTruckMan
So how concerned should I be about the zip tie though
Judging from my '07 and my friend's '05, yours should have had the low zip tie like shown in my picture. The line is just clipped beside the brake line most of the way down, but the last, low point is a special zip tie which clips on to the steel brake line and has a little fin in it that actually bites into the vacuum line a little when the tie is tightened to keep the line from pulling through the tie.

I guess it doesn't shock me that yours is missing. My truck was delivered with the line completely unclipped (still zip tie'd at the bottom though) on the passenger side so the line rubbed on the tire until it rubbed a hole through it and thus started my education on the IWE system.

Glad to hear you got yours figured out.
__________________
2007 F150 SCab Lariat 5.4L 4x4
1995 Ranger XLT 4.0L 4x2 LB

Last edited by VFR_Man; 02-13-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-13-2008, 09:04 AM
bowhunk1 bowhunk1 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28
bowhunk1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well since I have got mine out of the shop a week ago...I haven't had any problems....I noticed they did install the new soleniod with the shield on it to prevent water from getting on it from the fender wheel.....not sure if they check the vacuum lines for moisture...but I'm sure there had to be some in the lines.....hopefully this was the fix for my truck....but I guess only time will tell.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-13-2008, 09:13 AM
SDTruckMan SDTruckMan is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 747
SDTruckMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunk1
Well since I have got mine out of the shop a week ago...I haven't had any problems....I noticed they did install the new soleniod with the shield on it to prevent water from getting on it from the fender wheel.....not sure if they check the vacuum lines for moisture...but I'm sure there had to be some in the lines.....hopefully this was the fix for my truck....but I guess only time will tell.
Where is this "solenoid with shield" located, that everyone is referring to.
Got Pics?
Thought Id look to see if my has a shield.
__________________
2007 F150 4X4 - SuperCrew FX4
Dark Shadow Grey
1st Mod - LineX
2nd Mod - Tinted Front Windows
3rd Mod - Truxedo Tonneau Cover
4th Mod - Mag Light Mount
5th Mod - WeatherTech Front Liners
6th Mod - Edge Evo
7th Mod - EZ Down
8th Mod - Nitto TGs
9th Mod - Bed Lights


Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 AM
bowhunk1 bowhunk1 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28
bowhunk1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well don't have pics....but I could possibly take a pic this evening and post it later this afternoon....but with the hood up of course....standing on the passenger side where the hinge on the hood is at.....next to the firewall is a solenoid with 2 hoses going to it....its in the corner on the passenger side against the firewall....before mine was just a solenoid...now its a solenoid with a shield around it.....may be different on another vehicle but thats where its at on a 06'.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTruckMan
Where is this "solenoid with shield" located, that everyone is referring to.
Got Pics?
Thought Id look to see if my has a shield.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dana 44 TTB grinding/clicking/popping problem!!! broncoking1994 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco 5 06-01-2013 04:24 PM
Not good. Serious front end whine/grind. Help! shaferz Excursion - King of SUVs 7 01-28-2012 11:45 PM
Popping and grinding from under the truck Fedds3.0 1997 - 2003 F150 5 04-19-2011 09:41 AM
Intermittent noises from front end torquemeister Super Duty & Heavy Duty 5 12-27-2010 08:03 PM
Wheel bearing failing? n3up 1997 - 2003 F150 20 11-06-2009 09:21 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Tags
04, 4wd, brakes, engaged, engaging, f150, fly, grindingrubbing, horrible, idle, loud, makes, noise, problems, scraping, shift

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup