Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

RE:smoked two chevys

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Dan7378
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE:smoked two chevys

Me and my friend when up to the local speedway which is a 3/8th of a mile oval race track (asphalt) where they have stock car racing.Well they have these races up their called "fan participation races".So I entered with my truck which is a 97 F-150 ext.cab short bed 4X4 4.6L auto.
And what they do is two cars race at a time they line u up on the start/finish line and u drag race one lap around the track back to the start/finish line and if u win u race again if u lose u get out.
First race I wuz in I wuz against a chevy silverado single cab long bed Z71.Coming off the line he pulled ahead a half a car link but we went into turns 1 & 2 and I caught back up to him and then go down the back stretch I pulled away from him and then through turns 3 & 4 he never caught back up and I won that race.Beat him by 3 or 4 car links.
Then the second race I wuz in I wuz against a chevy camaro V6 w/5spd.
Again coming off the line he pulled ahead but when the guy went to shift to second he missed it and lost ground going into turn 1 and once again I smoked him down the back stretch and through the turns and won that race.

Then the 3rd race I wuz in I was racing against a black Mercury Marauder w/ the 4.6L this time racing two laps around the track
First race me and him did he left me coming off the line and I never did catch up.Second race they gave me a 10 car link head start and on the second lap coming out of turn 2 he blew by me like I wuz sitting still.
Looking back on it the guy in the marauder wuz a little better driver his car handled better than my truck.I wuz loose in the corners espically 3 &4 the back would try to slide around.And he had alot better motor than me,my truck didn't have the motor to keep up with the car.
But I think I did pretty good myself first time I ever did something like that and a ford beating not one but two chevys the truck and the camaro.
I had alot of fun doing it and will definitely do it again next time.

No liar,
Dan

Old 04-05-2005, 01:04 AM
fordmarshall111
Senior User
Dude, that sounds like an awesome racing venue. Which track is that?

Old 04-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Dan7378
Junior User
It's not a race track like one of the tracks on the nascar circuit,its just a small track where common people can race.

Wuz alot of fun doing it.Just be careful.

Dan

Old 04-07-2005, 12:13 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Where is it? What's the name?

Old 04-08-2005, 02:41 PM
StillaKilla187
Senior User
Dude that sounds cool, um ya where is that? I'll have to take my '83 F-150 up there and whoop some kids, ha ha.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
It sounds to me like your v8 beat 2 v6's ....

Old 04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Ben99GT
Senior User
I've never witnessed a Z71 with a V6.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:47 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
and I've never witnessed a 4.6 beating a 5.3.
I've had both - That's a race I'd have to see to believe

Old 04-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Ben99GT
Senior User
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
and I've never witnessed a 4.6 beating a 5.3.
I've had both - That's a race I'd have to see to believe
How do you know it was a 5.3? Maybe it was a 4.8. Still, he said the Chevy pulled him off the line but he caught and passed him in the turns, there's nothing hard to believe about that. A bad driver can make anything look bad. Besides, once out of first gear the 5.3 isn't exactly a speed demon either.

Being a Z71, it more than likely was a 5.3.

When posting a reply that is directly above … THERE IS NO NEED TO USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION....lets say we get 2500 posts a week, just to pick a number, and only 50 percent used the quote function…well, you can imagine how many extra pages are used, and not needed…If you are pulling out a single line or sentences then do so and use the quote function.
Thanks Admin Tim here

Old 04-11-2005, 12:55 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
I guess it could'a been a 4.8. But like you said it prolly was a 5.3 with a off-road package. And yes poor execution could have been the case...

Old 06-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't smoke 2 Chevys but I did rescue 2 of em. I was out 4 wheelin up in Silver Lake Sand Dunes a couple years ago. I was playin around on the hill climbs when I came across 2 Chevy pickups that were stuck on top of the hill. One was a 99-2000 2500 HD 4X4 with the 6.0 engine the other was a 93-95 K1500 Z71 with a 350. Both trucks were buried up to their doors in the sand on top of the hill. I offered to pull them out, the guy in the HD was much abliged; the guy in the Z71 got all huffy and puffy about it. I pulled up behind the HD first, my buddies hooked up the tow straps. I dropped er down into low range, put it in reverse, let the clutch out, put the juice to the old 300, and the HD came out with a good tug. The guy in the Z71 was flipping out now...that big ol HD got pulled out by a Ford pickup with a six cylinder! Then I backed up and pulled up behind the Z, its' reluctant owner gave in and his truck was also rescued from being high center on top of the dune. I tried to stay humble about it but I was damn proud of my old Ford that day! A Ford always looks better pulling a Chevy! LOL!!!

Old 06-09-2005, 08:50 AM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Yup the good ol days
I use to go to Bandemere Speedway on high school nights and
race my 68' stang Never won much but had alot of fun. and for
anyone who cares thats from colorado i went to Fairveiw High in
boulder

Old 06-09-2005, 11:01 AM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
i1dery: I used to go to the teen/HS nights at Bandemere Speedway, as well as some Ford/Motorcraft and Mopar specific races there. Had a 69 Camaro 327ci 3spd on the floor with 3" side pipes. Damn that car would move. Used to take it up there back in the early-mid 90's all the time. Won some and lost some, but of course always had fun.

Sorry guys, I love my Fords and I'm not too fond of Chevies, but I just loved the style of the 67-69 Camaros.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:37 PM
i1dery
Posting Guru
Yah, my cousins lived just down the street from the bandemeres
in arvada, back in the late seventies. sometimes i wish i could live
back in boulder.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Dan7378
Junior User
The guy in the chevy pickup I went to high skool with.Never knew him just seem him around skool and he did hit the brakes harder when we went into turn 1.My truck has 265/75/R16 tires w/ 16X10 inch wide rims so my truck did corner a little better since his Z71 had skinny street tread.
If the track would of had longer straightaways or if we were drag racing he probally would of got me since he had a 350.It's not a newer chevy its an older one so he couldn't of had the 4.8 or 5.3.
Driver skill does have alot to do w/ circel track racing.Some folks win races that way they may not have the best car out their but they know how to drive and thats how they win.I've seen plenty of guys up their win races that way.They don't have the strongest motor but their car can corner good and they know how to drive.
Some guys will build a race car and put all their money into their motor and nothing else into the rest of the car.What happens,their out their racing and their flying down the straightaways and their motor sounds mean as hell but when they hit the corners they slide all over the place or the car tries to push up into the wall.Other guys go out and spend $1,500 on a junkyard motor and tweak w/ the suspension and steering setup.Come race night the guy w/ the high dollar motor is all over them down the front and back stretch but in the turns he can't do nothing w/ them.
Theirs more than one way to win a circle track race.

Dan

Quick Reply: RE:smoked two chevys