Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch & Slave Cylinder Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:00 PM
flat4vw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch & Slave Cylinder Replacement

1995 F150 2wd 5 speed, 4.9 with 150,000 miles.

I've got a couple of quick questions: My slave cylinder is going bad, and with 150K on the odometer I'm getting ready to replace everything - p.plate, disc, throwout bearing, rear main, slave, pilot, etc. I'm probably going to buy my parts from Advance Auto (or Ford if the prices aren't outrageous).

I thought, from reading posts here a while ago, that the slave cylinder would come with a clutch kit - since it's part of the throwout assembly. What I'm finding is that the clutch kits come with the throwout bearing but no slave, and a slave cylinder assembly also comes with a throwout bearing. Is this correct? I get two throwouts if I buy a clutch kit and a slave cylinder? At the very least, it appears that Autozone does this, as they had both in stock and I took them off the shelf and looked at them.

2nd: I'm going to go ahead and upgrade to an 11" - does this require different sized clutch bolts? If so, does anyone know the length and thread pitch?

'preciate it,
John

Old 01-16-2008, 01:05 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm not sure about your throwout bearing stuff, but I've got a little advice as far as flywheels go. If you don't need to replace it to get a larger friction disc, have them check and see if it actually needs to be resurfaced. If it looks fine, simply hit it with some emery cloth and put her back in. I was talking to a mechanic that I know and he said that when they resurface the flywheels on vehicles with hydraulic clutches, they have had problems with the clutch slipping since the flywheel is thinner. Just something to be aware of and keep in the back of your head.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:15 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
No, you should definitely resurface the flywheel. I don't know about other vehicles, but you won't have any problems with your truck.

Also, unless you like doing this job often, don't buy your parts from advance, autozone, etc. They sell the cheapest parts they can buy, and they fail often. Spend the extra couple of bucks on a quality part and you won't have that happen to you.

Yes, the slave cylinder comes with a throwout bearing, as does the clutch kit. You will end up with an extra $3 part when you're done.

Your flywheel is drilled for an 11" clutch. I haven't done the upgrade on an M5OD, but the older 4 speeds accept the bigger clutch fine. I might be worried that the new pressure plate won't clear the bellhousing, but it probably will.

You will need new pressure plate to flywheel bolts. I don't know the size offhand.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
No, you should definitely resurface the flywheel. I don't know about other vehicles, but you won't have any problems with your truck.
Depending on the condition of the flywheel, it isn't ALWAYS required. Just telling what I heard firsthand. Simply something to be aware of.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
flat4vw
Senior User
Thanks for the responses. Also, I'd love to open up a discussion on flywheel resurfacing. I used to work at a machine shop, but I've never turned flywheels on a lathe. Instead, we sent ours out to have them ground. I was taught to ALWAYS resurface the flywheel, at least until it's too thin, at which point you buy a new one.

Originally Posted by andym
Also, unless you like doing this job often, don't buy your parts from advance, autozone, etc. They sell the cheapest parts they can buy, and they fail often. Spend the extra couple of bucks on a quality part and you won't have that happen to you.
Where would you recommend buying parts? Particularly when the dealers are expensive? I've had pretty good luck buying from both Autozone and Advance, but I always check and test the parts carefully. I mean, sometimes one store carries a higher quality line than the other - you just have to look and compare everything. But generally, I've had good luck buying mid-quality parts from both - just don't expect perfection.

EDIT: What I really mean is: what is your definition quality part? Where do you buy?

As far as this clutch job, however, my local L-M dealer is giving me a steal of a deal on a brand new 11" clutch kit and slave for $261 - wholesale. I got lucky, the Ford dealer wanted $250 for a remanned clutch and $90 for the slave. It pays to call around - try a Lincoln/ Merc parts department!

From a search, it looks like the correct bolts are 3/8 - 16 x 1"

Can anyone confirm? This size is different from a 10"?

Last edited by flat4vw; 01-16-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:28 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Think about it this way: the original stuff lasted 150000 miles, and there's a good chance those same parts (OEM Ford parts) will go the distance again. Look around online, there are a few Ford dealers that sell a lot closer to wholesale than the local dealers do, so you don't get as much sticker shock when comparing prices. I've used both www.discountfordparts.com and www.fordpartsonline.com in the past, and each time they have been cheaper than my local dealer.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Rock Auto Justin
Former Vendor
For those of you looking for a cheaper alternative for OEM quality parts, check out our website at www.rockauto.com. Everything we sell is OEM quality or better at a fraction of the price you'll pay at a dealership.

Thanks for looking,
Justin

Old 01-16-2008, 08:54 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
"OEM quality" is not the same as OEM, especially regarding clutch components. A couple of local mechanics will only use OEM clutch components because when they used aftermarket parts in the past, the vehicle has just come right back.

RockAuto is a great place to buy parts, but for clutch components, OEM parts are always the safest bet.