1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Water in Fuel Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Water in Fuel Light

Ok, I'm pretty much a newbe in diesels and almost every fill I get (1) water in fuel light. This winter is really wet so maybe this is normal as I've tried to fill at different dealers. It usually occurs maybe 20-30 miles after fill up, going around corners in city traffic I notice the light blinks. Then the next ten miles or so it gets worse and comes on steady. When this happens I pull over and drain the canister for 5-7 seconds until I can smell fuel, after that I don't get the problem for that tank but never get much below 1/4 tank before switching tanks or refuling.

So .. the question's are:

Should I drain the entire canister when this happens .. ouch $$$$$

Took my sister up to medical center a couple weeks ago on freeway, 3 hour drive, and it started about 20 miles from exit .. no way to pull over in traffic. Not bad but just blinking on and off. Pulled off freeway and on steady but had no option but to just go with flow, another 3 miles.

Truck runs great and don't have a real issue with but just wanted to know how everyone deals with "Water In Fuel" light.

Thanks in advance, Jim

Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
It's just there to let you know it see's something funky. I would drain the bowl completely. But you should only need to do it once. I would take it home, drain the fuel bowl and make sure everything is clean inside the bowl. But if I understand you correctly, you we're draining the bowl "till you smelled fuel."? If there is actually that much water in your fuel every time you fill up, I would suspect a leak in the fuel tank or neck. Somewhere water is actually coming in. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

RD, I guess that was my question? If i'm on the freeway on it comes on "blinking" should I be concerned? I think not .. but just not smart enough yet. Or, if I'm going around a curve in city traffic should I be concerned.

Thanks, Jim

Old 01-14-2008, 07:50 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would advise that anytime that light comes on to drain it ASAP. Water in the injectors could cause major problems. If enough water gets into the injector tip and get hot enough fast enough it will turn into steam and blow the injector tip apart. That would liely cause piston damage. thats worse case senario but water is not a lubricatant either so any amount thru the injector is bad.

Speaking of which I need to fix my water in fuel light!!! Yikes!!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

tj, that being said should I try to run tanks below 1/4. maybe almost empty. Is water heaver than diesel fuel so water laying in bottom of tank? Maybe aggetiation on fill up causes stir action. It's not that bad .. just wondering .. drives me nuts not knowing the rules. Solid truck, tight, no rust and no way water is entering the fuel system from outside enviroment.

Jim

Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Aslo, if drain it does that mean the entire fuel canister?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The water in fule sensor in the bowl is about a about 2 inchs below from where the fule is drawn into the engin from the bowl. So if the light comes on and stays on your cutting it a littel close.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:39 PM
custom_nirvana
Senior User
I had just about that same problem. All i did to fix it was drained the completely, changed the filter and put about 4 bottles(one in each tank before filling up and the repeat) of water deleting additve(cant recall which one). That fixed my problem. Havent had my light come on since.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Water is heaver than diesel and will settel to the bottom of the bowl and draining it till fuel comes ot should fix it unless you have water in the tank. If you have water in the tank the problem will come back every time you run the tank low enough to get water back in the bowl.Use a additve that will get rid of the water in the tank and see what happens.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Ok, I think I can figure it out myself. I need to know, however, is water heaver than diesel fuel. Is it in the bottom of the fuel filter cansiter and in the bottom of the fuel tanks? I also understand why no one really wants to address this issue due to possible miss advise, possibly why I can't find other threads relating to this issue. I assure everyone I'm just wanted to know what to do if the "Water In Light" comes on and what time frame to to it. In my case just think will run tanks as close to empty as possible and watch for waring lights.

Jim

Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Any suggestions on water deleting additive? Will stop after work tommorrow and pick some up.

thanks, Jim

Old 01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Like I said, the sensor is about 2 inches below from where the fule is drawn into the motor so you have some time but not that much, a few miles should be ok but be careful and get the situation resolved because water in the injector could do major damage..........................

Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Hussler
Ok, I think I can figure it out myself. I need to know, however, is water heaver than diesel fuel. Is it in the bottom of the fuel filter cansiter and in the bottom of the fuel tanks? I also understand why no one really wants to address this issue due to possible miss advise, possibly why I can't find other threads relating to this issue. I assure everyone I'm just wanted to know what to do if the "Water In Light" comes on and what time frame to to it. In my case just think will run tanks as close to empty as possible and watch for waring lights.

Jim
Water IS heavier than diesel....

Yes, it will be in the bottom of the fuel canister and tank.....

We ARE addressing this...

If the light comes on, DRAIN IT.....THE WHOLE CANISTER.

There are several companys that make water dispersant for diesel, google it.

If a problem like this persists, you need to think about dropping the tanks and inspecting them. Also, only buy fuel where they sell alot of it. The light should rarely come on. But if you change your fuel filter regularly (I change mine every 10k) you should never see it. I would suspect fuel supply (station) or a leak allowing water in the system.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Ok, i'm backing off on this one. Seems I probably have some water in bottom of fuel tanks. I'll take care of the issue myself .. why should I google it to find the additive, what is the membership for.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:25 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easy easy!! nobody has meant any harm!! i think cody said to Google it since he doesn't have any experience with them nor do I. Not sure what is out there and what works.

Quick Reply: Water in Fuel Light