1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Homemade Ram Air: Waste of time with these parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 AM
psquare7575
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade Ram Air: Waste of time with these parts?

So some trudging around in the junkyard netted me this.
Large Fomoco single snorkel air cleaner from a truck, no engine, it was on the passenger seat. Another snorkel from a 69 Mustang.

I was going to combine and make a dual snorkel setup. Issue is this.. These air cleaner snorkels are the 'wax filled' kind. They seem to work. Stick a hair dryer in the heat riser opening and after say 4 minutes they begin to open. Are these 'ok' to use? Am I wasting my time with these snorkels vs say the vacuum type? I noticed the truck this came from (and the Mustang) had no fresh air duct out near the grill. Would I be hurting the function of this type of snorkel if I ducted both snorkels to outside air?

I wanted something I could leave on year round that would look nice. My Cougar is my toy, but my truck is my toy/sees miles. This is for a mild 460, but I hope it'd be enough for a larger street based stroker as well (say 500 crank HP at most)

Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 AM
dicksshortwide66
Senior User
All I have to say is what everybody else said when I would pop the hood on my 62 Gal w/lincoln stock 460"That must be alot of motor to need that much air"and"That looks b!#@H".I used the snorkels off of a couple of trucks,the hard plastic ducting off a couple of mid '80's Crown Vics,and the scoops from some mid-late '70's ltd's(they are in the fender,imsm,and kinda compact.)I tried to use the Vic scoops,but there were clearance isssues,Probably not so bad on a truck.I would try to find the Vacuum operated model,personal preference,but the wax pellet is less clutter.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:19 AM
psquare7575
Posting Guru
I guess what I was asking is if the wax pellet type snorkel is much worse than the vacuum type. All I can see is that the wax type won't snap open on WOT?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:26 AM
dicksshortwide66
Senior User
the wax type won't snap open on WOT?[/QUOTE]
There you have it

Old 01-14-2008, 10:50 AM
psquare7575
Posting Guru
I'm not sure if the vacuum type does either however

Old 01-14-2008, 11:26 AM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The vacuum type fail in the open position, and open when the engine is off, and close when vacuum is applied to them. Dual snorkel air cleaners look pretty sharp.

I prefer the looks of this air cleaner myself

Here is an article I found, they claim 350 CFM more airflow than the factory 85 5.0 HO Mustang dual snorkel air cleaner. This snorkel however does not have heat riser provisions.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/1999/12/ramairbox/

67 Mustang engine compartment

http://www.ramairbox.com/product.html

Last edited by masterbeavis; 01-14-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:31 AM
psquare7575
Posting Guru
If you want to contribute to my "ramairbox fund", I'd be happy to purchase one, lol. I'll have about $80 in parts when all is said and done.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 AM
dicksshortwide66
Senior User
me either.I was a pup when I had that gal,and,pups like playing in the weeds.The minute details escape me,but why would you want to jump on it before it warms up?That bearing just might be small enough to spin?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:40 AM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Just tryin to show your some options. For around $220-250 you can have a trick looking high flow ram air - air cleaner. You can probably do it for less if you find your stuff used.

Here is the early 80's Ford version of what you are trying to make. I have one of these, I tried using it on my 460, I recall it would not clear my accessories on the front of the motor. I otta dig it out and try it on a stock truck motor and see what happens.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
psquare7575
Posting Guru
I have one of those already, but both vacuum diaphragms are bad, I cut off the heat risers to clear my valve covers,and one snorkel hits my master cylinder.. I threw on a 14x4 round air cleaner, but the truck just isn't happy with it at all... I figure copy an OEM setup.

Odd, looks like their prices dropped. I remember they used to be much more $$ than that.. Even with the ramairbox, I still won't have a heat riser, and I drive this truck year round salt/weather permitting.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 AM
psquare7575
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dicksshortwide66
me either.I was a pup when I had that gal,and,pups like playing in the weeds.The minute details escape me,but why would you want to jump on it before it warms up?That bearing just might be small enough to spin?
The doors are never fully open but fluctuate between open and closed to keep the air inlet temp in a specified range... on WOT they should snap to full open, even when the engine is warm, to let in the most air.

Eh I'll try this and see what happens, if I don't like it i'll wing it on eBay or something.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 AM
dicksshortwide66
Senior User
try the short snorkels off of a van,they are only 6-8 inches long.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:34 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
The pricing I quoted (I realized later) was Canadian money, which now is worth more than than the US dollar. That price is also with a steel lid and base. The price is much higher with spun aluminum pieces.

The open element air cleaner is ingesting warm air. Warm air=bad for power.

I like the idea of making your own dual snorkel air cleaner. I was thinking about doing that myself with a larger air cleaner, like one from a mid 80s GM product. Those use a much larger air cleaner.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:05 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
I definitely like the dual snorkel compared to an open air cleaner... And I have also looked at 80's Crown Vics and the like with their plastic snorkels that have thin slots that can pickup air from under the hood area. Should work.
You can also cut a hole and rivet an extra snorkel to any air cleaner according to the angle of seperation you need to clear obstacles. Might be close to optimum spacing, whatever the engineers figure that is! LOL
I saw that ram air box when it first came out. First saw an article on how to build one a few years back, then this fiberglass one appeared on the net shortly thereafter. With the dual, I don't think you will get two heat risers working, as I haven't seen a heat riser stove on the driver side manifold before. Maybe you can make yourself a manually operated closer for the one side in winter months, using a universal choke cable. (or manually close it for winter, as you likely won't need the extra freezing air! lol)

Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM
psquare7575
Posting Guru
TrinoGT, I'm using a piece of exhaust pipe with a small welded on bracket of sheetmetal clamped to a header tube (like the hedman headers kit).. getting both risers to work won't be the issue

Quick Reply: Homemade Ram Air: Waste of time with these parts?