Adding To Bio

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
JORYLEE76
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adding To Bio

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I will still be able to run DK with B100 or for that matter any mix of bio. Thanks?

JoryLee

Old 01-04-2008, 11:23 AM
jimmeste
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am using DK (in white bottle), along with 10% K-1 in my homebrew. It has a freeze point of about 25°F. This is better than my B50 mix by about 5°F. I use it only for the antigel properties. I don't think it has much else to offer over biodiesel.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:44 PM
JORYLEE76
Elder User
Originally Posted by jimmeste
I am using DK (in white bottle), along with 10% K-1 in my homebrew. It has a freeze point of about 25°F. This is better than my B50 mix by about 5°F. I use it only for the antigel properties. I don't think it has much else to offer over biodiesel.
by k-1 your talking about kerosene?? I'm not running bio yet but will be down the road. just thought I would check into this before i get there so i know what I can and cant do. Are you mixing it while making it or after?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 AM
jimmeste
Junior User
Yes kerosene. I mix it in after the drying step.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
JORYLEE76
Elder User
Originally Posted by jimmeste
Yes kerosene. I mix it in after the drying step.
cool. thanks. I hope that Ill be able to make my own soon. But because i rent right now, and dont have my own house, I cant make my own. I have a friend that will be starting up pretty soon and will be paying him for his b100 so ill talk to him about adding that stuff. Does the K-1 and or the DK help with gas milage as will or just with cold weather? and last but not least should I be adding this stuff during summer/warm weather. remember i am in wa state. lol

thanks again.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:44 AM
JORYLEE76
Elder User
NEW QUESTION??? will adding K-1 and DK to the mix after its dried, if you let it sit will it start to seperate? also... what percent of DK are you adding per gallon? thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 AM
jimmeste
Junior User
No seperation. That is another advantage of the DK, IMO. Even after it has been frozen it returns clear. All of my other blends seperate and remain that way after melting.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
DK with BD is unnecessary unless you want the anti gel property

Mixing Kerosene with BD is about the same as mixing #2 dino with it just look at the cost factor.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:29 AM
JORYLEE76
Elder User
first of let me start by saying thank you for your replies. Just to make sure that Im understanding this.

My understanding is that DK with dino, helps with cleaning and boost's milagle. but with b100 its just an anti-gelling agent with no other purpose? is that correct. and (#2 dino) vise K-1 is for anti - gel also?

sorry for being so dence, I'm just trying to get a total understanding on this new world....

JoryLee

Old 01-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Your understanding of DK is almost correct.
DK in the Grey bottle increases the Cetane number, increases lubricity, and helps keep injectors cleaner.
DK in the White bottle does all that and adds antigel properties, it actually is not as good at increasing the Cetane number.

Bio Diesel has a higher Cetane number, has much greater lubricity, and is an excellent fuel system cleaner than #2 dino with DK added. So all you need is the antigel properties. Typically that is accomplished by running a BD/#2 blend in the winter, the percentages vary depending on your location. The blend gives all the benefits of BD with the better gelling properties of #2. You still do not need DK for any of the grey bottle properties. If you are in a very cold area the use #1 dino to blend instead of #2 and you should be able to avoid DK completely.

Kerosene is, for all practical purposes, highly refined diesel with all of the sulpher removed. Since dino diesel depends on the sulpher to increase lubricity it is absolutely necessary to supplement kerosene, used as a fuel, with lubricity enhancers. BD does that well. Kerosene should drop the cloud/gel point of BD at least as much as #2 dino so if that is good enough for your area you should not have any problem. The next task is to determine whether or not there is any $$ advantage to kerosene over #2. Just compare the price per gallon that will answer the question.

To determine what blend is needed to avoid gelling problems simple make samples of various blends put them in glass jars stick a thermometer in and put the jars in a freezer. Monitor frequently and when each sample starts to turn cloudy you know the cloud point of that blend. Pick the blend that will protect you from the lowest expected temp in your area.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 01-11-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:04 PM
JORYLEE76
Elder User
Let me start by saying WOW. That wrapped it up for me. Ill copy and past this to my friend who is starting his b100 as early as next week give or take. Ill be getting my fuel from him by the end of the month if all goes well. were hoping to be spending no more then a buck a gallon. hell ya. dino around here (kitsap county washington) is about 3.40 to 3.70 a gallon.

some of the things ill be looking at now are:

150 gallon tank to install in the bed of the truck as a usable second gas tank. I would like to have this done around here "bremerton area" and set up on a toggle switch. any suggestions whould be great. I dont have my bed lined yet and am thinking about lining it after the tank is installed. any opinions on that??

Also does anyone know of the best place in KITSAP COUNTY to buy methonal gas to add to the B100 .

THANKS for everything guys.
JoryLee