2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2007 Expedition...lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
azarchery
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Expedition...lift?

Does anyone know of any true suspension lifts for 2007 Exped's? I've only found the spring spacer 3". My wife and I are looking at an '07, but she wants a lift on her next Exped.

I thought I remember hearing that the F-150 undercarriage is basically the same as the Expedition and that the F-150 lifts may bolt right on. Anyone know?

Joe

Old 01-13-2008, 01:46 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
F-150 will not bolt in. Expy IRS, F-150 live axle. There are other differences as well. I can't think of who makes a 8" lift but someone on here will post it up. I wanna say Cognito or something like that

Old 01-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Trevor1
Senior User
the front suspension of the trucks is the same but the rear has an independent suspension on the expedition and a solid axle on the f150

Old 01-13-2008, 03:59 PM
nfntruth
Senior User
Originally Posted by Trevor1
the front suspension of the trucks is the same but the rear has an independent suspension on the expedition and a solid axle on the f150
Thats right, and if I remember correctly, it also goes through the frame on that independent suspension similar to the new 06+ Explorers, so hold your breath for a production suspension kit other than the spacers. I imagine it would be very expensive as well.
Still waiting for the programmer tunes

Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 AM
azarchery
Freshman User
Thanks for the input guys. We went ahead and took the plunge on a left over 2007 yesterday. I've always been a bit leary of the spring spacers rather than a true suspension lift, but I'll be installing it this weekend and see how it works out.

Needless to say my wife is one happy lady!

Joe

Old 01-14-2008, 11:27 AM
nfntruth79
New User
If you are doing it, you might look at getting new brake lines for the rear, they are long enough, but at full suspension travel there is a bit of tension, the guys that installed mine didnt mention it till afterwards, so it wasn't the limiting component, but its something you might consider if its already torn apart.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:23 PM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
I leveled my 07 with the truxxx leveling kit. 3" up front, 2" in the back, spacer kind. I have had zero issues with the spacers. The only thing that worries me is that the ball joints are not sitting level anymore, more like a 20 to 25 degree angle which means the wear and tear will probably be quicker.

Tell your wife she will not be able to fit in most parking garages after the lift. My roof rack has quite a few scraps on the top from hitting.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:47 PM
rich93cw
Senior User
Good thing it has roll stability control!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
nebmike
Senior User
I've installed a couple spacer kits on Grand Cherokee's... how does the install compare on an Expy? Is it a major undertaking or can a guy do it in the driveway with hand tools?

Anybody have a source for parts and/or instructions?

TIA!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:42 PM
azarchery
Freshman User
I think it's fairly simple for anyone who's decent with tools. Here's a link for the instructions on the Exp. one I'll be doing this weekend.

http://truxxx.com/instructions/10603...structions.pdf

Joe

Old 01-16-2008, 06:42 AM
72soa
New User
Why spend the time and money on a lift for such a huge vehicle. I have a lot of off road experience and would not waste time on the expy in the field. If you want to have bigger tires to look cool then be prepared to pay more in gas and reduce your towing capacity. The nearest thing out expy gets to the woods is towing my 4x4 to the trail head.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:03 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
WHY VOID YOUR WARRANTY?

100+ an hour for labor and parts is bad enough.
Then again some people have money to burn.

Buy an older truck if you want to lift it.
Lifting a new truck is very counter intuative, but you will make the Ford service/parts guys happy.

DON'T LIFT THE 07 EXPEDITION!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
I put the lift on mine because I installed a grille guard on the front and the suspension on these new expeditions is so soft that it sunk the front of the truck down. Felt like I was doing a huge nose dive everytime i got in the truck. It pays to have you truck a little higher than everyone else. I was rear ended a couple of months ago by a woman driving a brand new Volvo SUV. I was at a red light and she thought the light was green and hit me going probaly 25 to 30 mph. It caused $450 of damage to my bumper and i had to have the rear parking sensor replaced ($700). Her Volvo was probably either totaled or had a very hefty bill to get it fixed. Her bumper and radiator were basically driven into the engine. I got away with very minimal damage and her car was trashed.

Sure it might void the warranty on the ball joints and suspension components, I am pretty sure the struts are not covered anyways. If the struts went out early i prabably wouldnt put the ford ones back on anyways.....upgrade to bilstein. I have been to the ford service department about 5 times since putting the leveling kit on and not a single one of them mentioned my warranty for anything was voided. Then again, they install lifts to there new ford trucks too, so really doubt the warranty will be voided for anything other than the very basic components. Actually the service manager said that it looks better than the ones sitting on the lot. I think it all depends on the relationship you have with your service department.

As far as not being able to tow as much, I dont think most people are buying the expedition for the maximum towable amount. They may tow a boat or a camper around that usually isnt any where near the full max towable level. By adding 33's to your truck you may only be lowering your towable amount by maybe 200 to 300 lbs if that.

If I were going to town something that was near the top the range, I would just get my F250 FX4 out to tow it, I am pretty sure it would handle the heavy weight quite a bit better.

Granted after my Nitto Terra Grapplers in the stock size wear out, I will probably add 33's instead of the 265/70/r17. I have a ranch and do actually go off road and do drive around the hunting lease. So why not its my 40K truck, shouldnt I get to make it better than it came from factory. Jeez if I had kept those continental tires on there for as long as they last, who knows how many times I would have already got stuck in the grass, sand, mud, gravel, etc.

Last edited by carbonmetallic; 01-16-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:06 AM
azarchery
Freshman User
carbonmetallic, great points. I was rear ended in my F-250 (lifted 4") by a BMW about a year ago. Totalled the BMW and I had to get down and really search to finally find the small scratch under my bumper. The lift aligned the receiver hitch up perfectly with the top of his hood which drove the fan half way into the engine compartment.

The Ford dealer we bought ours through verified by the fleet sales manager and service manager (I spoke to both of them directly) that it will not void any of the warranty we have. The bumper to bumper and drivetrain warranties will still be in effect for the full life of the warranty. They install lifts as well and even push to have all trucks & expy's they sell lifted through their lifted trucks department.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:20 PM
nebmike
Senior User
Been doing some searching and I see 2" spacer kits available for the front, but cant seem to find any for the rear ('07 Expy) except for the Truxxx (which appears to only come as a 3" front/2" rear kit -- and I dont really wanna go 3" on the front)... anybody have a source?

Thanks!

Last edited by nebmike; 01-16-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Expedition...lift?