Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2008, 12:40 PM
New User

brucesmays is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 2003 Ranger dash light bulbs

How do you replace the dash light bulbs? Several on our Ranger have burned out and it makes driving at night difficult, not being able to read the speedo. It looks like more than just removing the instrument cluster.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Elder User

powerstroke6ltr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Remove the bezel which surrounds the ins cluster, then unbolt the cluster from the dashboard. Very simple procedure. If you have an auto, be careful of the gear position indicator, you have to remove it carfeully as the plastic cable is fragile. The bulbs on the back are a dealer item, but can be replaced by LEDS if you want to. If you have the cluster out, you might as well replace all the bulbs just for peace of mind...
Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 PM
New User

brucesmays is starting off with a positive reputation.
powerstroke6ltr-i don't know what year your instructions are for, but not for my 2003. You first have to pop the radio bezel off, then remove the lower dash panel under the steering column, then remove the metal knee bolster under that lower dash panel, then you can remove the instrument bezel, then you can remove the instrument cluster to access the bulbs.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Elder User

hmm thats how i removed them on my 04.... either way, it isn't that hard of a job if you are handy with a wrench/driver. I just loosened the kick panel and was able to remove the main bezel... my apologies if this doesn't apply to your 03...
Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Freshman User

Tremor23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey powerstroke brucemays is right, there is a little more to it when trying to get to the instrument cluster. I have an 2002..we discussed in the other post. It isn't too difficult to get the cluster out, just have to take it in steps. The important thing is the gear position indicator like you said. That is a little tricky to get out, but once it is the rest is a piece of cake. Thanks again for your info on my other post.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Posting Guru

Level2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
And the bulbs are not a dealer part. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a bunch of sylvania 194LL (Long Life) bulbs and replace all of them at one time so you don't have to do it again later.
1988 Lincoln Town Car Cartier
1997 F350 PSD 4x4 5spd (sold)
Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Elder User

wow guess i should have kept my mouth shut... my apologies to everyone for misleading information. I can get my 04 bezel and cluster out with my above method, shouldn't be any different for '03, but once again, my bad. I can get the bulbs at my dealer, maybe not all dealers can. I know for sure my auto parts stores don't stock them around these parts. Either way, hope all goes well!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Freshman User

fireguy86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke6ltr
wow guess i should have kept my mouth shut... my apologies to everyone for misleading information. I can get my 04 bezel and cluster out with my above method, shouldn't be any different for '03, but once again, my bad. I can get the bulbs at my dealer, maybe not all dealers can. I know for sure my auto parts stores don't stock them around these parts. Either way, hope all goes well!
You offered what you had power!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Freshman User

Tremor23 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Powerstroke don't worry about it. I am currently going through this whole process and it does take a little bit to get to the instrument cluster. It may just be a little bit different with your truck. No big deal. Are you sure that your autoparts store does not carry them. They are the 194 bulbs and Autozone has a bunch of them. They even had them in blue and I think red. I bought the blue ones and changed all of mine to blue to go with the changes I made to the gauge covers themselves...Looks great. Anyway, you have been extremely informative on a lot of topics and to that I say Thanks.

Chris
Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Elder User

I live in a small town. Our autozone is the smallest in our area. I asked if any other stores carried them and they couldn't locate them... oh well. Glad you can find them readily... I tried to offer help, but am glad that others were able to correct me so I didn't get someone really mad! Thanks for the right info guys!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Elder User

seminaryranger has a good reputation on FTE.seminaryranger has a good reputation on FTE.
Chris Heinold
Replacing the bulbs is kind of a chore. It wasn't very fun for me on my '99. It sounds like you're on the right track. The bulbs are 194- there are six of them back there. They are held in plact by twist-lock type connectors.

Here's what it'll look like tore apart. The bulbs are where the black things are on the back of the cluster.
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's the front of the cluster and the automatic transmission selector cable.
Click the image to open in full size.

Hope this helps you a little.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 PM