Police Excursion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Stouttrout
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Police Excursion?

Well, What do you guys think of this...

The wife and I are looking at Excuriosns (We own an F250 6.0 now) and I want one with a 7.3l Powerstroke. We have looked all over and I found a low mileage one 5 hours from my hours. It had 74,000 miles and was a 2002 model 2wd. It is also a one owner. I get to the truck -- Currently at a dealership, and pull up the back seat and all these wires fall out. Start looking it over and it has red white and blue strobes all over it but hidden. The seats are broken down bad, there are sunflower and pistachio shells tucked in ever corner. Where handcuffs would be on a belt, the two front seats were worn out there. I can get the truck, 2wd with a 7.3 2002 with 74,000 miles for $21,000. The entire inside needs to be pulled out carpet and all and redone. Probably about $2000-3000 worth of work I suspect. Would a Cop car be worth it? Should I ****** it or pass? Good deal or not? Drives good and runs good. It was privately owned so it may have been a security type business or something but it was obvisouly something like that.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:42 AM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Check the Retail Value on Kelley Blue Book.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:25 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using their default options, you get somewhere between 14,000 and 16,000 for fair to good condition. I think you're getting royally screwed on price, I'd definetly walk away.

Plus, consider that while police vehicles are extremely well maintained, they undergo quite a bit of stress, cold-engine full-throttle zero-90 accelerations, etc. It could well have spent a lot of time idling as well.

I'd try and find out a bit of the history, but you're going to have a lot of fighting to do price-wise. Though that interior stuff definitely will be on your side in negotiations.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:27 AM
rg200amp
Senior User
I would PASS thats WAY TO MUCH MONEY for a truck like that.

first it has to be a police car, only police can use red and blue lights together.

Cop cars are either idleing or driving around 12-18 hours a day.
they are NOT well kept up on, yea they get the oil changed, but with the cheapest stuff available, and they dont upkeep those cars at all unless its broke!

if you want a used cop car, go to the auction lot, you get them for 1-5 grand tops!!!

this guy just bought it, then hes trying to sell it to you makeing 1000% profit.

PASS, find a truck that has been well taken care of.

I would rather buy a used rental car!!!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:22 AM
gatlin04
Junior User
Here in missouri you can get a 2003 or so Crown Vic police package with about 120k for 3500. I have had MANY MANY police cars and i loved them. They run great and have tons of power. My best buy was one for was a 1997 low mileage detective car for $250. Originally the car was on the dead row because it wouldnt start just by jumping it. We needed one for parts and we couldnt pass this car up because it was in incredible condition (in & out). We bought it, looked under the hood and the positive line going into the fuse box was loose..... we tightened it up and drove it away. BEST BUY EVER! I know that you are looking for a truck, but if you ever have the chance to pick one of these up, buy it. I wouldnt recommend buying a police car from someone on the street because they prob drove the **** out of it, but definately buy one from an auction.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Stouttrout
Junior User
I never trust Kelley. Kelley is way off on market value in this area anyway. i will not buy a car site unseen unless it is a wrecked Jeep. NADA is much closer to actual market value. We have looked at several of these and a 7.3 is bringing way more than Kelley blue book. Nada has this vehicle closer to 22,500

Old 01-06-2008, 10:36 AM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Way too much coin.... if it was a mint, one owner (civilian) X then it might be worth that... I'd keep looking if I were you.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:27 AM
igotoneforya
Elder User
maintenance on police fleets would surprise you...im not saying they are all well maintained but the majority of them are overly maintained and usage is better than sitting unused. Very few police vehicles are sold before 125K-150K because they have very little repair costs until that point.

With that said, it does not make this vehicle any more desireable. Move on. I can tell you that exposed wires and not being cleaned tells me that it did not come directly from a police sale. Auctions are a little different, but they need to be factory like condition prior to being sold or auctioned. Meaning no odd wires, no safety issues and such. Liability is to great for them to sell a hazard. It all just sounds like a greasy salesman trying to put the screws to you.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:04 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
It could well have spent a lot of time idling as well.
No "could" to it. Every police vehicle I drove idled as much as it was driven.

Walk away and don't look back.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Stouttrout
Junior User
This wasn't an auction vehicle. I have sold cars at auction for dealers, bought cars for dealers and I know what to look for in an auction car. This one was privately owned not owned by a police dept or such.... I have seen the title and know it was traded in. It WAS individually owned. Now, that being said again. I am going to move on for now and think that this car will still be at the dealer in a few weeks unless the dealer chooses to take a huge loss on it at aution. At that time who knows, I may get a call from the dealer with new price. Or they can sell it. To me they are all just junks of metal. I just need one to serve my purpose and be sound. Any Excursion with 100 miles on it is going to need inside reconditioning. Ford Leather just isn't that great. My 06 is already wearing pretty good.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:46 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Considering how you describe the condition of the interior (I'm also assuming its an XLT, its not fully loaded) and that its not even four wheel drive, one would be getting raped if they bought this Excursion for 21 grand.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Stouttrout
Junior User
How about pointing some this direction. We been looking. I have looked around Tx, Ok, and La. to find a 7.3 in the 100,000 mile range is almost unheard of. I am willing to pay a very good price for a low mileage very clean 7.3. I am just finding out they are very hard to find. you guys that have them don't ever want to sell them.

This one was a loaded out limited. it drove very tight but did have a bad shock on the driverside. It had all the original shocks on it so it would be time to change those. I have 3 more to look at tomorrow and Tuesday. I am also looking at very low mile 97 f350 though I really want an Excursion I may settle on the f350. If an excursion come along later, I can alway sell the f350.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Check out these two Excursions. The only problem is that there pretty far out of state.Heres a 2003 with the 7.3 Diesel.Also, have you checked maybe AutoTrader.com or Cars.com.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Stouttrout
Junior User
I have looked at alomst all of the one within 200 listed on auto trader. I am checking out a few on ebay this week and two near houston.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deffinatly way overpriced. I have to argue the cop car maintenance though. Maybe some hokey lil town might not upkeep the cars well, but any descent town or some big city's even will take exceptionally good care of thier vehicles. I've owned ex cop cars and know many, many, people that have. try to find out where it was in service and you will have an idea of what kind of maintenance it got. As long as it wasnt a major city like chicago/new york/LA or some trashy little town with very little $ I'd bet it got exceptionally good maintenance.

I doubt it had many cold start beatings also. As you said they idle all day long, and diesels can take this very well (at least the 7.3 can) and when a cop is starting a shift they are usually taking the vehicle from another officer, or they will start the car and get paperwork in order or just get settled in in general before heading out. Rarely will a cop get into a cold car at the station ann have some yahoo fly by the police station at 80 mph where he will have to go chase them down with a cold motor/drivetrain, especially in an excursion.

If a LT1 carpice can deal with harsh big city police abuse and go well over 200K and many times over 300K on the original motors and crown vics can get a lil over 200K on the stock motors I'm sure the 7.3 excursion can handle it just as well.

Quick Reply: Police Excursion?