Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
up pipe leak

is this an up pipe leak??

Old 01-12-2008, 08:35 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hard to tell in that picture.it looks like it...but i stole this from KwiKK..you can see soot at the top of the pipe on the left..

Old 01-12-2008, 08:41 PM
STROKER350
Senior User
Look's like it's leaking to me. If you are going to fix it, check out Black Widow Diesel for some good looking up pipes to fix it right.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's fuzzy, but that's soot alright. Definately get rid of the donut gaskets and get the bellowed up-pipes. BWD is where I got mine. At the time they were cheaper than the IH dealer close to my house.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:11 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
i know my pic is a little fuzzy, but it was the best i could get, and by the looks of the pic rons power stroke posted, thats how mine looks, allthough i couldnt see the pass side up pipe, it looks as though the bolt on the back could be a little difficult to get at, did you guys have to put some penetrating oil on them first?? and what are they supposed to be torqued to after. any other tips before i try this one out, i bought the donut from ford today, not sure of the price of these bellowed pipes you guys talk about, they might not be in the budget.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
BWD has the bellowed up-pipes for $300: http://shop.blackwidowdiesel.com/pro...&productId=304

Here's how to replace them: http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/upp.html

Old 01-13-2008, 12:04 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Here's how to replace them: http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/upp.html
in this procedure they are putting in bellows, i just want to replace the donut, do i still have to take the turbo off or just unbolt the upipe connection and replace the donut, bolt it back together??

Old 01-13-2008, 12:21 PM
orcas tow
Freshman User
You can get to all 4 top up pipe bolts to check torque from the bottom with a long extension & a 10mm universal socket (maybe 3/8", I dont remember) but your working pretty blind so getting the bolts out would be easy but putting them back in would be a bugger.
I just did this job yesterday but replaced the up pipes with the Black widow bellowed pipes, I was wondering if I wasted my money but after getting the old pipes out (by pulling the turbo to replace the pedestal/turbo o rings at the same time) I was glad I had the bellowed pipes on hand.
My 2001 F550 only has 30,000 miles & where the donuts sit on the pipe they had all but rubbed through, as the exhaust heats up & cools down it moves due to expansion & contraction, after multiple warm up cycles it wears a groove in the sealing surface of the pipe, I could not have sealed mine with gaskets due to this wear & its not a job I would want to do again soon. Thats my $.02

Old 01-13-2008, 12:45 PM
spinge
Senior User
Originally Posted by orcas tow
You can get to all 4 top up pipe bolts to check torque from the bottom with a long extension & a 10mm universal socket (maybe 3/8", I dont remember) but your working pretty blind so getting the bolts out would be easy but putting them back in would be a bugger......

.......& its not a job I would want to do again soon. Thats my $.02
AMEN to that. Yes, you can get to them from under the truck, with about 3 miles of extensions, 2 universals, and 2 more elbows in your arm. When I replaced mine on the F450 (before the bellowed pipes were available), it was a bear of a job, and they are leaking again. It has only been about a year. Look in my gallery for a picture of the up pipe with a hole worn in it from the donut, as well as the ear that broke off of the babies butt. These are the parts I took out the last time. When you go to the bellowed kit, all of the parts are new. For reference, try to find a babies butt at 4:00pm on a Sunday afternoon - not happening.

My .02 - (actually .03 after taxes) go with the bellowed kit. It is a more permanent fix to the problem (the 6.0 has the bellowed pipes, and that is one thing that is not a problem on them). It costs more in the first place, but like any repair, it is more effective if done right the first time.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I second that. Get the bellowed pipes and never have to deal with that problem again.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:16 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry to but in, but didnt someone on this site also recomend heading to the intenational dealer and getting pipes from them, cheaper then then the bellows, but with out the donut?

Old 01-13-2008, 03:05 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
Originally Posted by spinge
AMEN to that. Yes, you can get to them from under the truck, with about 3 miles of extensions, 2 universals, and 2 more elbows in your arm. When I replaced mine on the F450 (before the bellowed pipes were available), it was a bear of a job, and they are leaking again. It has only been about a year. Look in my gallery for a picture of the up pipe with a hole worn in it from the donut, as well as the ear that broke off of the babies butt. These are the parts I took out the last time. When you go to the bellowed kit, all of the parts are new. For reference, try to find a babies butt at 4:00pm on a Sunday afternoon - not happening.

My .02 - (actually .03 after taxes) go with the bellowed kit. It is a more permanent fix to the problem (the 6.0 has the bellowed pipes, and that is one thing that is not a problem on them). It costs more in the first place, but like any repair, it is more effective if done right the first time.
well i cant afford bellows right now, but was that hole in your pipe from the donut or from the clamp rubbing? and could you weld and grind it back to shape if needed. should i even bother changing the donut and just leave it as is?

Old 01-13-2008, 03:36 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
if its leaking then you have lost boost and fuel mileage..if it leeks it needs to be fixed..I did mine with pipes off of an 01 cause I updated from the early 99 turbo.and could not afford the bellows...the pipe had a hole in it for EGT probe..I welded the hole and ground it back down,, my probe is on the exhaust manifold...itsbeen almost a year now and there still holding up well..

Old 01-13-2008, 03:38 PM
orcas tow
Freshman User
I would leave it as is until you can afford the bellowed up pipes, the International up pipes (which are bellowed) are what Black widow sells but even with my shop discount at International Blackwidow was about $10 cheaper

Old 01-13-2008, 03:58 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Hey Spinge, I'm working on Greedy's truck (the bellowed pipes, picking them up tomorrow, and WW) late this coming week. LMK if you want to come and hang out.

Quick Reply: up pipe leak