Join Chapter, Leader:

Possible relocation: Insight sought.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Tom92F150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible relocation: Insight sought.

If all goes well, in a month or so I'll be heading out to Coeur d'Alene to take a job land surveying. Since I've never actually been there, any locals mind giving me their take on the area?

How's the offroading? I don't do anything hard-core, but I'd like to have to use the 4wd every now and then.

I'm kinda the outdoorsy type. Any good hiking and/or mountain bike trails nearby? That the national forest is right next to town looks promising. (ain't google earth great! )

Hows the real estate market? If things work out, I'll probably be looking to buy a piece of land outside of town. 5 or 10 acres or something like that. How much is vacant land going for?

I've got a couple of rifles that I'd like to bring. Any restrictions on firearms? How many hoops will I have to jump through to go hunting?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2007, 11:09 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Welcome to Idaho, Tom.

I'll try to answer some of your questions directly, others, I'll provide some links for you to check out for yourself.

Gun hoops? This is Idaho, son. We don't have a lot of gun hoops to jump through. Whatever documentation you have, keep it handy for the trip out here.

Hunting - The only critters you'll be able to hunt in Coeur d'Alene (CDA) is EVERYTHING, dude. Bear, cougar, deer, elk, turkey. We have seasons for moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat, too, if you're interested in them. The Idaho Fish and Game website:

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov

Send me your name and address and I'll have them send you some 2007, (or as current as they have), regulations for hunting and fishing. I will visit my contact (I call her the "pamphlet lady") and have her send you a relocation kit for CDA and the surrounding areas.

PM me with the information, or email directly to 69Fastback@iwon.com and I'll get the ball rolling in your direction.

I haven't visited CDA, (it's on my "To Do" list), but I have been up to Winchester. It is about a half-hour east of Lewiston. I live in Nampa (west of Boise). CDA gets snow, so a 4x4 is a good choice.

Off-roading opportunities abound. I'll see if I can rustle up some info on clubs and trails. The Forest Service puts out some decent maps. To order USFS or BLM maps, call (208) 373-4007.

Hope this whets your appetite. Drop by or give me a call when you get into Idaho. I work in Boise. Let me know what your interests are and I'll try to have a package set up and mailed to you.

Craig Peters

Old 08-09-2007, 12:49 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Craig is down in the high desert, CDA is in the mountains, very similar to where I'm at in Montana. Its known for the incredible lake next to the town. Typical rocky mountain issues: jobs don't pay well, property is expensive (75-100K for 5 acres), cost of living is up there. We joke, but it's no joke that you give up 20% of your income to live in the mountains when you come from somewhere else.

Hiking trails, forest roads everywhere. This time of year fire is a real problem - when its dry they shut down the forests, even to hiking.

Most states require you to be a declared resident for a pre-determined time before you can hunt as a resident. Non-res license is expensive.

Coming from Atlanta, know that the air is thin, elevation sickness is real and everywhere is a long distance apart so traveling 250 miles is just a morning's jaunt. Your friends and family back in ATL won't believe it. Plan to spend a lot on gas.

Otherwise it's wonderful country to live in.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:11 AM
Tom92F150
Senior User
Thanks a ton guys!

Craig, I'll let you know if I'll be needing that relocation information.

I actually went to the Driggs area last year for about two weeks for mountain biking and the elevation (6500') didn't bother me too bad. I even rode my road bike up Teton Pass! I think CdA is like 3000' or so? Shouldn't be a issue.

How much snow does CdA get? Do they salt the roads?

The last couple of days have been code red smog alerts. They're warning everybody to stay inside as much as possible. And you know its bad when the air is brown. I really really hope I get that job.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:06 PM
fordfury469
Elder User
they do not salt the roads here,they barely plow them half the time. there is a ton of places to go fourwheeling mountain biking and hunting, land isnt to bad once you get out of town a little ways.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Tom92F150
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordfury469
they do not salt the roads here,they barely plow them half the time. there is a ton of places to go fourwheeling mountain biking and hunting, land isnt to bad once you get out of town a little ways.
Thanks for the good word! I've been worried about my truck rotting away from the salt. I went to Michigan for a little while earlier this year and any vehicles older than about 5 or 6 years are just melting away from the salt. Scary.

I ended up staying in Atlanta until spring to sock away a little more capital before heading west. Of course, if the drought we're having here gets much worse, I may have to bug out sooner than that, though. I refuse to have my water rationed to say nothing of what might happen with the 5 million or so people around here if the taps run dry.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 AM
78bronco_id
Freshman User
I'm going to bet the drought gets worse! I just flew from Spokane, Wa. to Minneapolis via Denver and barely saw any snow on the mtns. (Bought a car on Ebay). Drove back through South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and into Cda' before turning south to Lewiston. NO SNOW ANYWHERE! The only bad weather I encountered was in... you guessed it, IDAHO!!! As far as living in Cda', they usually get snow in the winter, the rich have bought up all the property close in. But there are plenty of smaller towns around there that should be inexpensive.
This is hunter's paradise as well as a great place to go 4x4ing. Pick an old logging road and take off. Good luck and safe travels.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:24 PM
EricW.
Senior User
Its not too far from Spokane either (remember, we're talking ID distance not GA distance).

great country up there, (I'm high desert too) trees, lakes, rivers, all of it.

Check out www.planet4x4.net Its full of Idaho people.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:42 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tom92F150
Thanks for the good word! I've been worried about my truck rotting away from the salt. I went to Michigan for a little while earlier this year and any vehicles older than about 5 or 6 years are just melting away from the salt. Scary.

I ended up staying in Atlanta until spring to sock away a little more capital before heading west. Of course, if the drought we're having here gets much worse, I may have to bug out sooner than that, though. I refuse to have my water rationed to say nothing of what might happen with the 5 million or so people around here if the taps run dry.
How's it going? Do you think you're ready for an information / relocation packet? Never too early to do free research.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Tom92F150
Senior User
Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
How's it going? Do you think you're ready for an information / relocation packet? Never too early to do free research.
I don't know how or when I'll be able to repay you, but yes. You've got a pm with my address.

Thank you

Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
My pleasure, Tom.

No repayment necessary. You can always send "Rep Points" by clicking on the scales in the upper-right corner of the post and providing a quick comment.

I'm happy to have been able to help you. Look forward to meeting you someday.