In search for 6.0 diesel tech help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 AM
06SD350
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question In search for 6.0 diesel tech help

This may be a bit long,please bare with me

Hey all,first off I should say my name is Mike.I've been a member for some time,but I dont post as much as I would like,also don't really get much time to read up all that I can,or want.Im in need of some help.I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of a diesel tech in my area (dover) or in our tiny state.

Here's my issue.My truck a 2006 6.0 CC SB SRW was purchased about a year ago,and Ive accumulated about 15K miles that time.When I first purchased the truck,I changed all the filters with quality ones,then again changed all of them 10K later for good measurements. Well..the time has come for me.I have the tell tale sign of oil in coolant reservoir.I do run a SCT tuner,monitor gauges,it just went the other day.The truck is not overheating and running fine,with some slight loss of power.
The truck now has just over 48K on the odometer,and I guess the oil cooler failure was inevitable,bound to go at some time.I do regret not blocking off the EGR up-pipe,It might have helped me somewhat.I do have mechanical exp.,but to be honest,I just dont feel confident enough to do this right the first time out,not proudly admitting that so.. Im looking for a tech willing to do the oil cooler fix on my rig.Im willing to help,and I probably have most the tools needed, minus air tools.

That was the bad news...or so Im talking myself into that lol.
Being the ebayaholic that I am,I actually was able to pick up a complete 2006 6.0 diesel engine with only 12K on her,not sure how it happened,maybe the stars were lined up right that night,or possibly my addiction to ebay is worse that I thought.I do know the deal I got it for was too good to pass up,& from a leggit vendor.The engine is complete from the turbo,up pipe,y-pipe..to the oil pan,fan,shroud,harnesses,computers,etc..she looks like new on a skid,really,very clean engine.To me its a work of art in the garage next to the SD

Here's what I was thinking of doing.I do already have a complete head gasket kit & ARP studs.I need someone that would be willing to come take this bad boy apart,and install the ARP studs,then reassemble her minus the oil cooler,to be used for the mess above I guess reassemble up to about before the intake goes on. I am planning on deleting the EGR and Oil cooler on that engine...but Im not ready to have it installed just yet,at least not this soon.

Is anyone interested in taking on a little side work? Like I mentioned,I do have mech exp. @ 36 I've had eight mustangs,and have done it all to them,...I just don't feel confident enough to do this tear down,rebuild on the 6.0

Thank you,
Mike

Last edited by 06SD350; 01-11-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Hey Mike welcome to the Delaware Chapter. Click on the link in my signature if you would like to join us.

PM or email me the following information,

Introduce yourself here:

2007 We Would Like To Get To Know You, Part-2

Post often to the chapter.

Then please email me with the following to glruffatcomcastdotnet:

1. Full name
2. FTE Username
3. Regular email address
4. Mailing address
5. instant messaging username
6. A picture of you and your truck
7. A little background on yourself
8. Telephone/cell no

Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 AM
06SD350
Junior User
Thank you,is there anyone you can direct me in the right direction for my issue above?

I know I dont get in the forums much.I barely have enough time to keep up with the tech forum,let alone the daily chatting..being a local business owner,takes up more time that I care to give up.I hope my lack of being a daily chapter member,doesnt keep me from finding the help I seek in our great little state.

Well,thanks to anyone,have a nice weekend.
Have a nice weekend.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:15 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Have you asked your questions in the tech forums:

2003 - 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

OR

Super Duty And Heavy Duty

No need to get testy!

Todd, toad8xu is a diesel mechanic on Seaford/Laurel Hwy. I am sure he would be reasonable for his labor costs. Do expect the work to be done in Dover and do you have all of the tools necessary to do the work or will someone need to supply the tools?

Is your truck out of the warranty period on the engine due to mods?

Last edited by glruff; 01-12-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:43 AM
06SD350
Junior User
I wasn't being testy at all George why would you take it that way.. I'll join your chapter,please dont be upset about that.At the moment,the little time I have online,I was just trying to find some local help.Im not going anywhere,like i said,Im a local biz owner for more than 14 years here in the area.

No,i havent asked there.I assumed the local forum would be best for the help im looking for.I have no issue taking my truck to someone,or if they prefer here in my garage.There's plenty of room,and always cool beverages.

Like I said above,I should have most everything,execpt for air tools.I know I cant say 100%,I've never done the job,so I really dont know if it requires specialty tools.

As for the warrany,I should I have mentioned...

Im the type who plays,so I dont feel ford should be forced to pay for any of it.Sure,the EGR,and oil coolers are under warranty,but I felt under my circumstances,I should not try to push this on ford,but that seek some help from the locals.

Once again,if you were offended for my inquiry,Im sorry..but not sure from what.Have a nice weekend George.Thanks for the help,I will try to PM toad8xu

Old 01-12-2008, 09:57 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 06SD350
......I hope my lack of being a daily chapter member,doesnt keep me from finding the help I seek in our great little state.
Well,thanks to anyone,have a nice weekend.
Have a nice weekend.
Perhaps I read too much in your statement which was in response to my invitation to you to join the chapter. Perhaps we should BOTH reread and then edit our posts before the 60 min. timer has run.

And this is all I have to say about this matter.

Todd would be a good one to contact. He also has a full time job so don't get too impatient if he doesn't respond right away.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:29 PM
350steve
Post Fiend
06SD350..If no one can help you from del.There is a guy in the 6.0 forums
mat from spartan diesel PSD 60l fx4 fte sponsor all the guys talk highly of him.He's from north carolina..Good luck.
Also sometimes george needs his nap...

Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 PM
DAFBFD58
Posting Guru
I will tell you that any ford dealer will take the cab and front clip off the truck to do any work on the 6.0. Now with that being said look up T-N-T Diesel Performance in ridgly MD, www.tnt-power.com. They should be able to help you with the head studs and any other work you need to include building it bigger and better. Oh they have a dyno as well.