Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show Off Your Pre-97 Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:18 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skyfox10
OMGOMGOMG!!

After reading your sig, I realized: That's exactly the truck I hope to own one day. You are so lucky.
Thanks! There's a reason I decided to dump money into this project rather than taking it to the scrappers. (See below)

I love the truck. It's got some steering/driveline things to fix yet like the steering: there was tons of play in the steering so I tightened up the steering box, but now the wheel doesn't center itself, and while the slop has been taken out of the steering, it's still really touchy and needs tons of corrections while driving, so I think I have some steering components to replace yet.

After the outer body is done, I'm going to start on the interior, and then after it's been rebuilt/cleaned up, I'm going to move on to the engine and trans.

It's been a project, but it's going to be my dream truck when it's done. I'm glad to hear that somebody else has the same thoughts as me! Thanks.

Originally Posted by FordPickMeUp
that paint job looks nice why didnt you put your f 250 emblems back on?did you have rust over the rear wheels when you brought it to the body shop?that must of run you alor of $$$$ but it looks so nice.
The F250 emblems are coming. The passenger side one was screwed up and the driver's side got pitched (by accident) when the cab was painted last summer. I have to either make it to JY or buy a new set, along with the stickers for the bed (I might do something other than the factory 4x4 emblem), and I also need something to break up the tailgate a bit since it's now missing the aluminum trim panel (I can't afford a new one and in a year of searching the JY, a good one never came up). I also need to decide if I'm going to put any wheel well trim and body molding back on or if I like the plain look.

While there was some rust along the wheel wells, I think this did the most damage:

(More pictures Here)

If you can see, the boxside on the passenger side rolled up where it's sitting in the snow and was bent to over a 90° angle.

What happened was the backend came loose on a patch of ice, I slid across the oncomming lane of traffic (nobody in my way thankfully), and I hit a farmer's mailbox with the passenger door; you can't see it since the tint held, but the passenger window shattered out and would have come in on my girlfriend who was with me if it weren't for the tint being there. As I came across the gravel on the lane (pretty wide so that he could take his semi in and out), I straightened the truck out and plowed into the snow bank straight on.

My girlfriend took these pictures with her phone after I had scooped most of the truck out. The truck pushed a path into a snow bank that was probably 12' tall and I had to crawl out of the rear slider window to get out when I first assessed the damage. I moved most of the snow around the truck hoping my dad would be able to pull me out before any cops came by (didn't want it on my insurance record), but it didn't work out that way and state trooper came along and called the tow-truck which ultimately pulled me free.

The whole bed was junk because the boxsides were so screwed up. I ended up replacing the radiator, condenser, front bumper, header panel, headlights, grill, both front fenders, the passenger door, and the passenger rear cab corner, and one rear tire because of the crash. While I was at it, I also replaced the driver's window and the front windshield, removed the FM antenna, removed the smog pump, new shocks front and rear, painted the frame with Chassis Saver (up to the cab, still have the front to do), new rear spring shackles and mounts (they were scary thin because of the rust!!) and put Damplifier Pro on the floor of the entire cab.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM
hammerhead90
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYiT
Thanks! There's a reason I decided to dump money into this project rather than taking it to the scrappers. (See below)

I love the truck. It's got some steering/driveline things to fix yet like the steering: there was tons of play in the steering so I tightened up the steering box, but now the wheel doesn't center itself, and while the slop has been taken out of the steering, it's still really touchy and needs tons of corrections while driving, so I think I have some steering components to replace yet.

After the outer body is done, I'm going to start on the interior, and then after it's been rebuilt/cleaned up, I'm going to move on to the engine and trans.

It's been a project, but it's going to be my dream truck when it's done. I'm glad to hear that somebody else has the same thoughts as me! Thanks.

The F250 emblems are coming. The passenger side one was screwed up and the driver's side got pitched (by accident) when the cab was painted last summer. I have to either make it to JY or buy a new set, along with the stickers for the bed (I might do something other than the factory 4x4 emblem), and I also need something to break up the tailgate a bit since it's now missing the aluminum trim panel (I can't afford a new one and in a year of searching the JY, a good one never came up). I also need to decide if I'm going to put any wheel well trim and body molding back on or if I like the plain look.

While there was some rust along the wheel wells, I think this did the most damage:

(More pictures Here)

If you can see, the boxside on the passenger side rolled up where it's sitting in the snow and was bent to over a 90° angle.

What happened was the backend came loose on a patch of ice, I slid across the oncomming lane of traffic (nobody in my way thankfully), and I hit a farmer's mailbox with the passenger door; you can't see it since the tint held, but the passenger window shattered out and would have come in on my girlfriend who was with me if it weren't for the tint being there. As I came across the gravel on the lane (pretty wide so that he could take his semi in and out), I straightened the truck out and plowed into the snow bank straight on.

My girlfriend took these pictures with her phone after I had scooped most of the truck out. The truck pushed a path into a snow bank that was probably 12' tall and I had to crawl out of the rear slider window to get out when I first assessed the damage. I moved most of the snow around the truck hoping my dad would be able to pull me out before any cops came by (didn't want it on my insurance record), but it didn't work out that way and state trooper came along and called the tow-truck which ultimately pulled me free.

The whole bed was junk because the boxsides were so screwed up. I ended up replacing the radiator, condenser, front bumper, header panel, headlights, grill, both front fenders, the passenger door, and the passenger rear cab corner, and one rear tire because of the crash. While I was at it, I also replaced the driver's window and the front windshield, removed the FM antenna, removed the smog pump, new shocks front and rear, painted the frame with Chassis Saver (up to the cab, still have the front to do), new rear spring shackles and mounts (they were scary thin because of the rust!!) and put Damplifier Pro on the floor of the entire cab.
At least you decided to repair it rather than scrap it for something else, I am very jealous of your truck now

Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Sounds very much like what happened to me in spring 07 (I wont go into details on the accident). I was too broke at the time, and the body shop kept telling me not to fix it. I ended up scrapping the truck and still regret it.

Worst part is I didn't find out till i had the truck torn apart, how hard it is to find one like I had, and in good shape. In my opinion, you made the right choice.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 PM
FlaresideF150
Senior User
Okay heres my truck a 95 Flareside with a 300 straight 6. What she needs some body work but it in overall good condition.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Sounds very much like what happened to me in spring 07 (I wont go into details on the accident). I was too broke at the time, and the body shop kept telling me not to fix it. I ended up scrapping the truck and still regret it.

Worst part is I didn't find out till i had the truck torn apart, how hard it is to find one like I had, and in good shape. In my opinion, you made the right choice.
My dad, grandparents, insurance company (which this wasn't turned into since it would have been totaled out; this has been all out of pocket but it's salvage free), girlfriend's family, just about everybody I know told me to scrap it and find a new one. While it probably would have been cheaper, I couldn't do it. I never would have gotten a big block again (parents would have stopped that due to gas), but most importantly, this truck has sentimental value to it.

It was my dad's work truck for 14 years before I got it from him, and I remember spending hours sitting on the floor with my brother, using the seat as table for our toy tractors as my mom pulled anhydrous tanks and wagons to the field and back home. No other truck would have been the same.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FlaresideF150
Okay heres my truck a 95 Flareside with a 300 straight 6. What she needs some body work but it in overall good condition.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Awesome looking truck!

I need one like that now. I've got my F-250 for the big and heavy stuff, something like your truck would be perfect for my light duty, fun truck. I think the color won me over.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
While it probably would have been cheaper, I couldn't do it. I never would have gotten a big block again (parents would have stopped that due to gas), but most importantly, this truck has sentimental value to it.

It was my dad's work truck for 14 years before I got it from him, and I remember spending hours sitting on the floor with my brother, using the seat as table for our toy tractors as my mom pulled anhydrous tanks and wagons to the field and back home. No other truck would have been the same.
Your story is more like mine than I though, only a different ending. It took me a year and a half to find another truck that had most of the same options I was looking for, but still not all (which I bought), and I did see one more this last summer that met the criterion, but not able to drop the $8k they were asking at the time.

I know you've spent a lot fixing that truck, but I doubt you'll ever look back and regret it. I look forward to seeing more of that truck around the forum as it continues to get back to normal.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:19 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
[/IMG]
Very nice truck, really clean for being from PA.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
sweeeeeet :P

Thanks! There's a reason I decided to dump money into this project rather than taking it to the scrappers.
we appreciate that haha. when i totalled blue bandit off everyone told me to let them have it but im very glad i didnt. turned into a huge ongoing project and cost me a lot more money than i ever thought possible.... but its worth it. i just bought a 92 with a written off status. thing is barely damaged... guy was selling pr parts or scrap but i scooped it so i know it wont wind up in the crusher haha. just gotta get around to the inspection.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
I'm always glad to hear when someone saves one of these trucks. Thinking about the stuff I saw going to the C4C program kept me up at night.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:46 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
I'm always glad to hear when someone saves one of these trucks. Thinking about the stuff I saw going to the C4C program kept me up at night.
QFT!!! lots of perfectly good trucks going there for what? 3k in trade on some new hunk of chit thats made outta plastic. i saw trucks id almost kill for being given to that CFC progam. it was disgusting. i better end my rant now haha

Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 PM
cole.jace
Senior User
Worst part is you never get what your truck is worth through the insurance company I mean other then some paint spots my truck is mint andbi know SGI wouldnt pay. Me for what my truck would actually be worth because it's an older truck which is why I try and avoid insurance claims or doing anything to put my truck in that position . But sometimes accidents do happen.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 PM
75Three90
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres mine not the best but didnt pay much either

Old 04-06-2011, 12:08 AM
hammerhead90
Elder User
Originally Posted by 75Three90

heres mine not the best but didnt pay much either

Wow that truck looks gosh darn identical to another one posted on the page before this.......oh wait..................

Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Jbotto
Posting Guru
I know what you mean! When that program was going on, I was looking for a truck. It brought me nearly to tears to see a 94 F150 single cab long box with a good body go to that stupid program. I'm just glad I caught my old girl before she headed that same way!

Quick Reply: Show Off Your Pre-97 Trucks