Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP!!! Oil from the exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 PM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Unhappy HELP!!! Oil from the exhaust manifold

Got my truck back from the dealership about a week ago. They had replaced the turbo, pedestal, o-rings, and supposedly a valve cover gasket. Last night I crawled underneath cause I noticed oil leaking again and there's a blue cloud behind me when I drive. It's even coming out of the hole in the exhaust manifold where I have my EGT sensor. What could cause this? The only problem it had before it went in to the shop was the oil leak in the valley. I chose to have them fix it since it's still under the extended warranty. Now it's smoking blue when I mash the throttle and leaking oil where I've never seen it before. HELP!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:52 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Leak

My money's on a botched pedestal o-ring installation. Oil coming out of the exhaust is likely coming from the turbo.

I'd take it back and ask them to do it again.

DG

Old 01-08-2008, 04:06 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My guess would be the turbo. Remove one of the boots on the air to air cooler and see if you have any oil in there. Hopefully you won't. It may be leaking on the exhaust side. If so, then you only need to replace the turbo, or in this case, the dealer will only have to replace it. Since you are leaking oil out the exhaust, I believe this to be the problem. If it was going through the engine, it would be burning. I don't know if I would want to drive it back to the dealer though. Since you know it's leaking oil, and the turbo hasn't started making any harsh or funny noises, that means the bearings are still holding their own, but you don't know for how long, with a possibly blown seal. If the pressure side is leaking, then they would need to pull all the intake componets and clean them. You absolutely don't want to drive it if the intake side is leaking. When the engine gets hot, the oil becomes a fuel, and the end result won't be pretty.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:17 PM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Turns out the shaft inside the turbo they put on was bad and the pedestal was bad as well. Those parts were remans so this time they put on new stuff and it's ok so far. We'll see. Only time will tell. Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:26 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A bad seal on the shaft won't get oil into the exhaust manifold. There is a higher point between that and the manifold, plus exhaust velocity would just push it out of the turbo. A bad pedestal seal would leak externally to the valley and not inside the turbo.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Flushie65
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say any time you get your truck back from the dealership and something is wrong that wasn't before. Take it back and tell them they fudged up and had better fix it if they don't want their screw up strewn about the internet's largest ford truck enthusiast website. Nothing travels faster than bad news and I don't think any dealership would want their name coupled with a bad reputation.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
A bad seal on the shaft won't get oil into the exhaust manifold. There is a higher point between that and the manifold, plus exhaust velocity would just push it out of the turbo. A bad pedestal seal would leak externally to the valley and not inside the turbo.
Listen to Kris here.
The only thing that will cause oil to come out of the exhaust manifold is something upstream of that point, not downstream like the turbo.
It's time for some engine diagnostics. Compression check, etc.
Possibilities include a bad injector o-ring or some problem in the injector cups that is allowing oil to be introduced into the combustion chamber via the injector.
Even worst, it could be a failed piston/rings/scored cylinder wall that is causing all the smoke.
Telltale symptoms of something like that is a loss of compression that will be apperant by a slight "unloading" sound coming from the starter motor as you crank it to start the engine on one cylinder only. It will sound like the starter speeds up for a split second and then loads up and slows back down.
Try removing the oil filler cap while the engine is idling and see if it "puffs" like a steam engine vs. a steady stream of vapors wafting out.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:57 PM
spinge
Senior User
Originally Posted by ztodd377
Turns out the shaft inside the turbo they put on was bad and the pedestal was bad as well. Those parts were remans so this time they put on new stuff and it's ok so far. We'll see. Only time will tell. Thanks for all the help guys.

If changing the turbo and pedestal fixed the problem, could it not be that the turbo was leaking oil bad enough into the air induction side that it was going all the way through the IC and all the way back out the exaust??

Old 01-13-2008, 10:04 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it wouldn't be raw oil still by the time it reached the exhaust. The IC will trap virtually all of the oil, only letting vapor through. Even if oil does get into the combustion chambers, it will be burnt to a blue smoke, or if it's so much oil that it won't burn, it would have already hydro-locked the engine. Somethings up. Like an exhaust valve seal going out. Remove the EBPV tube from the front of the right manifold, probe around in there with a q tip or something to see if that side is wet too.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:09 PM
spinge
Senior User
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
it wouldn't be raw oil still by the time it reached the exhaust. The IC will trap virtually all of the oil, only letting vapor through. Even if oil does get into the combustion chambers, it will be burnt to a blue smoke, or if it's so much oil that it won't burn, it would have already hydro-locked the engine. Somethings up. Like an exhaust valve seal going out. Remove the EBPV tube from the front of the right manifold, probe around in there with a q tip or something to see if that side is wet too.
Good point - I stand corrected

Old 01-15-2008, 01:07 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
First off, I have never changed a turbo on a PSD, so my experience on this particular turbo is none. I have, however, changed turbos on cummins M-11's and M14's, 60 series Detroits and various Caterpillar engines. On some of those engines, I have seen turbos leak oil out the exhaust side of the turbo, resulting in motor oil going straight out the exhaust pipe. Are you guys saying that this is not possible with a PSD turbo? Since I have never had one apart, I don't know.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:35 AM
spinge
Senior User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
First off, I have never changed a turbo on a PSD, so my experience on this particular turbo is none. I have, however, changed turbos on cummins M-11's and M14's, 60 series Detroits and various Caterpillar engines. On some of those engines, I have seen turbos leak oil out the exhaust side of the turbo, resulting in motor oil going straight out the exhaust pipe. Are you guys saying that this is not possible with a PSD turbo? Since I have never had one apart, I don't know.
No, but rather that with the turbo between the engine and the tailpipe, so to speak, oil would not get back to the exaust MANIFOLD. It could in theory come out the tail pipe.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:17 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I understand now. I was confusing exhaust manifold with exhaust pipe. Thanks Rich.