N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

EPA overrules CARB

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EPA overrules CARB

Hey guys, been a while since I posted here.

As some of you know, I bought some longtubes a few months back with hopes of installing them on my 95 F150. Found out later that there's no way they'd pass the visual inspection without a CARB number, so they've been sitting in my garage. Now I've heard that the EPA has overruled the right for states to have individual smog standards (ie, the CARB system in CA). Does this now mean that I don't need a CARB number for my longtubes and I can install them!? Thanks guys.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:05 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Good luck trying to argue with a referee over that. Put em on, see if it will smog. I have had lots of stuff that did not have Carb EO numbers pass the visual inspection as long as I had the required smog equipment, I passed the visual, and the numbers at the tailpipe. If your manifolds had provisions for 02 sensors, or air injection, and your headers don't, prepare to fail. If they do the same thing, just look different, you should be ok.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Of course I would tap any emissions equipment back into the headers, such as the EGR, o2 sensors, AIR injection (if needed), etc etc.

I'm just wondering if I need CARB numbers at all anymore.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:24 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Just because the EPA over ruled the BAR, that is not going to stop them from enforcing the rules. Call the BAR and ask them.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:36 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I searched for a bit and could not find anything to reference your post.

Can you cite the reference/web page/etc, that you got the info from?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
I can't find the exact article that I read but here's a follow up about CA trying to sue the EPA for their actions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010202833.html

Old 01-12-2008, 09:58 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I could gleen of the article, it doesn't look there is any reference to older vehicles...looks to be something Ca is fighting the EPA for future emission standards....and from what Cumo (Mayor of NY says) it implies that Ca. is trying to mandate stiffer gfuidlines, but the EPA is saying nop...hence Cumo's comments about "it's a shame..."

Personelly I think I'd take the loss on the headers, I had aSLP 50 state legal headers on my old Camaro several years ago...the "SLP" logo was tigged onto one side of each of the primariy tubes, and the part numbr was scribed into them as well...but I still had to provide the little "EDO?" sticker to pass sog, and it took me about 15 minutes of arguing with the smog tech so I didn't have to actually place the sticker under the hood.

I guess it might depend on who you take it to, and what they'll be like, but personally, I'd just go with approved stuff and elimnate the possibility of doing things twice.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
From what I could gleen of the article, it doesn't look there is any reference to older vehicles...looks to be something Ca is fighting the EPA for future emission standards....and from what Cumo (Mayor of NY says) it implies that Ca. is trying to mandate stiffer gfuidlines, but the EPA is saying nop...hence Cumo's comments about "it's a shame..."

Personelly I think I'd take the loss on the headers, I had aSLP 50 state legal headers on my old Camaro several years ago...the "SLP" logo was tigged onto one side of each of the primariy tubes, and the part numbr was scribed into them as well...but I still had to provide the little "EDO?" sticker to pass sog, and it took me about 15 minutes of arguing with the smog tech so I didn't have to actually place the sticker under the hood.

I guess it might depend on who you take it to, and what they'll be like, but personally, I'd just go with approved stuff and elimnate the possibility of doing things twice.
Thanks Mike. Yeah that was the attitude that I had before, but now I'm wondering if this new ruling has created a loop hole for me. If so, I'd love to install these things. The only headers in Cali that have CARB numbers are all shorties, and everyone says shorties aren't worth the box they come in. So for me, it's longtubes or nothin'.

If anyone else finds out more about this issue please let me know. Thanks guys.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
It looks like it does not affect current laws, which means you will get to go pound sand.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by masterbeavis
It looks like it does not affect current laws, which means you will get to go pound sand.
Damnit. Can you site your source for this?