Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Texas Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 75Three90

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Junior User

Shellbackcv60 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Door chime

Guys,

I have a 2005 F250. My door chime stays on when I open the door with out the key in the ignition. No lights on. I went to the dealer and they said they could troubleshoot for a minimum of 95 dollars. I figured I would ask you first. The one thing that might cause it to ring is there is an aftermarket dvd player hardwired to the fuse box. Other than that I have no clue. Reply when able.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
You might try asking up in the superduty or 6.0 forum. I haven't played with a door dinger on the newer trucks yet. Have you tried disconnecting the dvd player either where it's wired in or by pulling it out and unplugging it to see if that is the problem?

If you think it's the key in ignition chime, have you tried wiggling the ignition switch? There is a way to disable the key in ignition beep, but if you do this make sure you have a spare key.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 01-09-2008, 11:42 AM
New User

Bronc45431 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Key chime repair

I have heard complaints about the key chime activating when the key was removed. I encountered the same issue with my 2005 F 250 Super Duty. I tried to research the problem and found many opinions but no real answer to the problem. I did the only thing left to do and that was to dig into it myself. I found the problem and the answer. First remove the screws on the bottom plastic cover on the steering wheel. When you remove the cover the lock cylinder housing is exposed. Turn the key on position forward (ignition on) The press the button on the bottom on of the ignition housing at the base of the cylinder lock with a small drill bit. This will allow you to pull and remove the ignition cylinder. Rotate the ignition cylinder until you see a brass strip with a small contacts on it. Remove and reinstall the key if the contact opens when key is removed the ignition cylinder is good. If not the lock cylinder is likely bad. If cylinder is good look at the lock cylinder housing on the steering wheel. At the 7 o clock position you should see a notch with a piece of plastic inserted into that notch. This piece of plastic is shaped like a half moon and has a thin brass strip that faces to the interior of the lock housing. This strip come in contact with the brass strip on the lock cylinder. The plastic piece is connected to a pink wire with a black stripe. . What happens is the plastic piece will fall out of the notch and the brass strip on it will come in contact with the metal lock/steering housing and ground out making the key chime activates. I found that re install the plastic piece in the notch with a small dab of epoxy seem to fix the problem
Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
That's good information Bronc45431. When most of us go in there it's with the intent of disabling the chime. I never thought to look for any parts that might become disabled.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 01-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Junior User

Bronc,
Appreciate the thorough email. I will give it a try this weekend when I'm putzing around the garage.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Junior User

jvaski is starting off with a positive reputation.
BRONC - thanks for the tip on fixing the door chime !
I tried your suggestions today and it worked out fine - on my 98 F150 4x4.
The plastic piece with the contact was hanging out of the notch just as you said .
But instead of using epoxy to re-mount it - I used a plastic tie-wrap around the outside of it and the lock barrel to hold it in place permanently.
It seems to work fine now ! ( No more door chime with key out )
Old 03-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Junior User

wbnethery3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Psycho door chime

My 2003 SCrew does this. I appreciate the suggestions on fixing it myself. Has Ford taken any sort of stand on this being a widespread defect? I would think it should have shown up in a TSB by now. I've seen postings on other sites citing problems all the way back to the '97 model year.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:19 PM
New User

eddierat is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks,
took 5 minutes. the inner contact was out of the slot like you said.
it snapped back in place and the chime went away!!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Junior User

I followed the directions and it worked fine. The piece I epoxyed was black cresent moon shape. When I took the ignition switch out came a little black piece.

Also had to drain the water collector on the F250. I had the light come on after filling up at Walmart.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Senior User

jdon88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Excellent post! I just bought an '05 F250 and didn't seem normal that the door chime kept going with the key out of the ignition. I followed the info above and found the plastic piece broken off. Epoxied it back together and all is good. I didn't just want to disconnect the chime because I have a bad habit of leaving the key in the ignition then locking myself out.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:41 PM
New User

Sefner is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge about the little things that drive us all crazy. I've got a 97 F150 with a door chime that was making my hair gray and my nerves shot. Thanks to you the problem is fixed. Thanks again Bob
Old 09-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Junior User

axmrdr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you for your knowledge. I ended up just pulling the black w/pink stripe wire from the plug at the base of the column. (Mine is a 02 F350) It wasn't alarming incorectly, I just grew tired of the chime as I leave my keys in the ignition with doors open quite a bit.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Texas Chapter

Tags
2002, 2004, 2005, chime, dinger, disconnect, door, duty, f150, f250, ford, fuse, ignition, key, super, truck