D3VE Heads

Old 01-07-2008, 10:50 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D3VE Heads

I recently had a friend of mine donate me a D1VE block. While picking it up he also threw in two sets of D3VE-A2A heads and a set of D2VE heads. What are they worth? They are stock units straight off the blocks.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the D2's are open chamber, right? I doubt they would be worth much, if anything...
The D3's get worked on all the time, can be ported and used in performance applications. Should be worth a coupla hundred, I would say...

Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 PM
1EVILCREWCAB
Senior User
maybe at your location SOMEONE would want them, I throw ALL d2 and d3 heads on the scrap pile, better heads are plentiful so I don't waste my time

Old 01-09-2008, 11:13 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Thanks for the replies. I kinda figured the D2's were junk but the guy was in a giving mood so I took them. I didn't think the D3's were real valuable either but if I could get like $50 bucks a head that would help pay for the titanium retainers my engine builder said I need. Going to the Tri State Auto expo next month and maybe I will get lucky.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
100 bucks for all six if they are not corroded terribly in my opinion. D3s aren't the best but they have a potential. I think 96cc chambers. But whomever buys your heads for 50 bucks piece is not a car guy.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:43 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1EVILCREWCAB
maybe at your location SOMEONE would want them, I throw ALL d2 and d3 heads on the scrap pile, better heads are plentiful so I don't waste my time

REally and exactly what better heads for stock easy to aquire would you be talking about? DOVE heads? guess what they don't support any more hp then D3s do. But hey thats great that you do that means guys like me that actually know something about these motors can get a good set of heads for litterly nothing and sell our junk old heads to other people for high dollar and get enough to completely build the D3 heads.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 01-11-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Kurt.A
Freshman User
The D3's have identical port architechture as the dove heads. They also have a 96cc closed combustion chamber which is great for lowering compression to something that can run pump gas. Typically 10 to 1 is achievable with a flat top piston. The D3 ports also have sufficient port material to open them up to SCJ sizes. Intakes will flow 360 ish CFM and exhausts are capable of 220 ish CFM if done correctly. More than capable of making 600 Hp naturally aspirated. Great low budget steet heads IMHO.

Kurt

Old 01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
I think I remember the D3's with flat tops are good for 9.3:1. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:35 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
with zero deck, unshaved heads and flat top pistons with typical 12cc valve reliefs and .030 overbore your at 9.44:1 which makes a pretty decent street engine. shave them .030 and your at 9.83:1 still darn good for premium fuel street motor and will make very good power. run them on a 521 stroker with the same pistons and your at 10.1-10.5:1 compression depending on shaved or not.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:55 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
So the 9.3 I mentioned is with stock bore? Must be close...

Old 01-13-2008, 10:28 AM
1EVILCREWCAB
Senior User
The problem with any of the 385 heads is the combustion chamber, the d2's are just inflated 400 heads, garbage, d0ve chamber isn't as bad, d3's are almost as bad as d2's, too many pinched off areas where the flame front doesn't reach, doesn't matter how much fuel you bring to the fire if you cant burn it, I personally use 370 heads, they have enough material in the chambers to be reshaped and still keep compression around 12:1 with a flattop, on a serious motor I use 430 lincoln heads, machine a figure 8 comdustion chamber into the top of the piston for a nice 18:1 squeeze ratio, sheetmetal intake, enderle injection, on my boss 9 I spent over 600 hours welding and reshaping the chambers, made a 600+ hp difference with less boost, too bad the crank split the mains in half

Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Why do you always have to assume people are looking for all-out race motors? And there you go again, referring to 400 heads as junk, when there are many people making respectable power from them on the street.
Take a look at the guy's question at the start of this thread, then ask yourself why you had to do a slam fest on the different heads out there. You must have a lot of free time on your hands... You must have if you spend 600 hours working on the combustion chambers of one pair of heads.

Why can't you cool your jets before posting on this site? You are offending a whole lot of people when you post. No one will take you serious about any advice when all everyone has on here is 'junk'.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:36 AM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, trinogt has a Point there. Sure racing engines are not bad one bit but when you mention heads that are "junk" in YOUR opinion can and will be power makers in the rest of the world. Also MEL series parts are expensive big time compared to the D3s and the others. I dont have the money to spend on MEL parts and I dont plan on touching those heads or anyother part from a MEL.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:17 PM
1EVILCREWCAB
Senior User
I don't assume everyone wants a race engine, for the same dollar which would you rather have: an engine that makes 175 hp and 300lbft or 550 hp /600 lbft, with running cost relatively equal, the guy's question was if d3 heads are worth anything, my reply was scrap weight, I don't run anything on the street at less than 12:1, that doesnt make it a race engine, what everyone is overlooking or is ignorant to is thermal efficency, if you want to make less power while burning more fuel thats your perogative, when I go out wheeling with my buddy with his relatively stock 460 it costs him 4x as much to run his truck, the heads is this discussion are poor, plain and simple, ya you can make power with them but there are easier and more efficent (cheaper in the long run) ways of doing it, do you think i'm not offended to hear there are people running this stuff when there are better ways? power and efficency go hand in hand, if you improve the way an engine burns fuel you can make more power with less fuel,
Originally Posted by trinogt
Why do you always have to assume people are looking for all-out race motors? And there you go again, referring to 400 heads as junk, when there are many people making respectable power from them on the street.
Take a look at the guy's question at the start of this thread, then ask yourself why you had to do a slam fest on the different heads out there. You must have a lot of free time on your hands... You must have if you spend 600 hours working on the combustion chambers of one pair of heads.

Why can't you cool your jets before posting on this site? You are offending a whole lot of people when you post. No one will take you serious about any advice when all everyone has on here is 'junk'.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
I am not going to run the heads. I have run DOVE heads for years and stepped up to KAASE P51's. I just got the heads from a generous friend and wondered if I could get some money out of them to recoup the $3000 dropped on the kaase heads. I had heard that people ported the D3's were making respectable numbers for a nice street cruiser and thought that a couple virgin sets might interest someone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D3VE Heads