D3VE Heads

Old 01-13-2008, 10:35 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, you don't run anything on the street with less than 12:1, huh? I don't know where you live, but the gas pumps here won't support that... You have to buy it by the barrel at the high octane needed. $$$

mwvdub, thanks for stopping in. You will never recoup the money spent on your new heads with old ones, unless you have a pile of D0VE's just laying around, since they are good period correct pieces for someone restoring an N code 1970 or 1971 Torino, Mustang, etc... I suggest if you want to mess with them, try porting the exhaust side by removing the excess material around the valve boss to smooth out the dog leg turn. You might get more money from them that way, and have fun doing it at the same time. Polish the chambers if you are so inclined as well, and port match.
But enjoy your new heads; they sound pretty cool! Do you have them installed yet?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 AM
Kurt.A
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D3 and Dove combustion chambers are identical shape, the D3 chamber is .100" deeper in the head.

Kurt

Old 01-14-2008, 10:46 AM
1EVILCREWCAB
Senior User
d3 and dove heads are slightly alike in shape but that is it, the dove head is more rounded, the d3 has pockets next to the plug that inhibit the flame front, unburned fuel will collect there and tends to cause preignition if low octane fuel is used, I have spent many hours doing tests and research on all types of heads including 3d scans, so other than outward appearance, there is little similiarity between the two, through my experiences I have come up with a chamber shape that will support 12:1 on 89 octane gas, I run propane exclusively so I get away with 14-15:1, at 1.60$ a gallon I wouldn't think of using gasoline in anything ever again
Originally Posted by Kurt.A
D3 and Dove combustion chambers are identical shape, the D3 chamber is .100" deeper in the head.

Kurt

Old 01-14-2008, 10:54 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
basically I call BS to evilcrewcab, you don't run 12:1 on pump gas with iron heads, the engine masters guys that actually know something about doing it, were running 12:1 with alum heads 91 octane, lots of coatings on pistons etc and could barely control the detonation to keep the engines together long enough to finish the entire deal.
Basically you don't have a clue with those kinds of comments, you will never convince anyone with any knowledge about engines at all and especially about 460 based engines that while your buddy is getting 8mpg running around your getting 32mpg out of a 12:1 combustion iron headed gas powered 460 and if you try to claim it I will call you a liar to your face (you said it costs him 4x as much to run his and thus to equal that you would have to be getting over 30mpg)
IF your running propane then that is maybe another story, but yes higher compression does in fact equal higher efficiency thus the reason diesels get better economy, but if you could increase combustion and keep the engine together that high and be able to actually increase efficiency that much the manufactors would be doing it but you can't plus at best the increase from 9:1 to 12:1 is about a 2% increase in thermal efficiency (but causes so many other problems to not even be funny) thus you would almost increase the fuel economy of a 460 based engine by .2mpg but the decrease in the ability to run higher timing would counter that and even cause a major DECREASE in mileage and power plus the added cost of having to run higher octane fuel.
A man known to many on this board as probably THE best factory iron porter in the country Scott J will tell you from personal experience that the D3 heads are every bit as good as teh DOVE heads in chamber efficiency and IF you actually knew what you were talking about you would realize that compression is NOT the tell all of what makes the heads good or not and what will get you power. one of the very most pointed tell tale signs is look at where you need to set total timing to achieve max power on a dyno (not your But dyno either SOTP just aint't gonna cut it on tryng to convince us of your 550hp) guess what on a dyno the DOVE and the D3VE have identical timing requirements thus showing that the heads combustion characteristics are identical and thus blowing your entire story out of the water. But hey do some more reading you will be amazed how many really smart people are on this board that can smell BS from several countries away, and know the truth.
DOVE heads are no better nor are they truthfully any worse then any other standard passenger car 385 series head except the D2VE that has the open chamber design and can't be made to run right (but believe it or not can be made to out flow and on a race gas engine will actually appearently support higher hp then either the DOVE or D3VE heads0
D3VE heads are running on some strokers running pump gas at over 700hp in street cars with street manners just like the DOVE heads do so don't come in and try to claim otherwise.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:34 AM
1EVILCREWCAB
Senior User
the problem we are having with this discussion is that we are on different pages as far as the technology is concerned, THAT is my fault, there is only so much you can do with old technology without investing countless hours and dollars reinventing the wheel, so to speak. when a person knows about something and knows it well they don't look outside the box, if you look at the function of an internal combustion engine the whole design is flawed, agreed? if you figure out a way to alter the whole operating characteristics of an engine to be a benefit you will always have someone tell you its wrong, people don't like change. I will continue with my way, you can continue with yours, I'm actually surprised that someone else hasn't figured out how to make this work sooner,

Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1EVILCREWCAB
the problem we are having with this discussion is that we are on different pages as far as the technology is concerned, THAT is my fault, there is only so much you can do with old technology without investing countless hours and dollars reinventing the wheel, so to speak. when a person knows about something and knows it well they don't look outside the box, if you look at the function of an internal combustion engine the whole design is flawed, agreed? if you figure out a way to alter the whole operating characteristics of an engine to be a benefit you will always have someone tell you its wrong, people don't like change. I will continue with my way, you can continue with yours, I'm actually surprised that someone else hasn't figured out how to make this work sooner,
Monsterbaby is just mentioning D3 heads aren't as terrible as you speak. Like you said you just go your own way. You spend half your life grinding on a combustion chamber while we are out building up engines and eating chevys up for dinner. Besides The guy wanted a price of maybe how much he could get for the heads he recieved and that happened.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:22 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would comment, but I am heading out to chase down another Z06 Corvette with my 2.3 liter Tempo...

Old 01-14-2008, 03:35 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

All I can say is if you have figured out how to reinvent the wheel as you say even a tenth as well as your trying to impress us with here, your one of the richest men in America and one of the smartest men in the universe cause people that have more degrees have been trying for decades to really improve it, guys like Kaase that have been working on these engines for 30 yrs and does every trick in the book to get max power. Why your so smart I bet it wouldn't even be a challenge for you to take over the nascar engine building market completely cause those guys strive for every ounce of power and economy they can get. On second thought I bet the reason you haven't shown anyone this is cause you know if you take of the tinfoil hat long enough to do that the big ole government and big oil conspirators will take you out and replace you with a robot so no one will notice.

I am sorry I have let most of your posts slide even though it was way over the top with BS but when you start posting stuff people might read and think has any merit and might waste money on is when I step in and call BS. You are not getting anywhere near 550hp out of DOVE heads at 32mpg and I don't care if your the genius you think you are, and your not running a 12:1 compression iron headed motor on pump gas either, and since I mentioned it and you didn't up with the alternative that would actually allow for that it's obvious you don't know how that can be accomplished.

So lets see this miracle engine that you have designed that is going to revolutionize physics as known to the rest of the world. Yes gasoline engines are approx 90% inefficient but you know what the graduates from MIT managed to improve that by approx 50% when trying to do experiments with internal combustion engines. you are claiming 400% increase in efficiency so that means your claiming you that far above some of the smartest people on the face of the planet. cool

And besides all that the truck you have listed in your gallery doesn't even have a 460 or for that matter even a ford engine in it. I also enjoyed the "custom driveshaft with 1580 unjoints" thats funny as heck good one. you need to match your numbers up a little more closely I am sure the number you thought you were looking up when you filled that in was 1610 (which you also don't have becuase that is large enough to not even be able to clear the transmission when used on a front end nor will it work nor would it even be remotely intelligent to use it on the supposed D80s front and rear). 1580 just happens to be the OTC tool part number for use on ujoints on class 7 and 8 trucks. Spicers numbers go from 1550 and jump to 1610.

While I was at it I hadn't heard of the 648 international V8 you claim so did some internet searching apparently no one else including international has either. But that one I could be wrong on since I admit to having never heard of it and a dozen different internet searches didn't reveal anything about it except a reference back to YOU.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 01-14-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by trinogt
mwvdub, thanks for stopping in. You will never recoup the money spent on your new heads with old ones, unless you have a pile of D0VE's just laying around, since they are good period correct pieces for someone restoring an N code 1970 or 1971 Torino, Mustang, etc... I suggest if you want to mess with them, try porting the exhaust side by removing the excess material around the valve boss to smooth out the dog leg turn. You might get more money from them that way, and have fun doing it at the same time. Polish the chambers if you are so inclined as well, and port match.
But enjoy your new heads; they sound pretty cool! Do you have them installed yet?
I knew that totally recouping the money was never going to happen but any little bit would help. We have spent $10k on the truck in the past three months and my significant other is starting to question my choices.

I have never ported the exhaust side of any head so that may be what happens. We ported and ported the DOVE intake side to match the intake but never did anything on the exhaust since you can't get much for headers for a F100 with a 460 anyway.

The heads are still in Denver and we cleaned up the block, crank and rods to take to the machine shop on friday. I hope to have that all back in a couple weeks so we can get the truck back on the road.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Yeah, well you want performance you need to complete the flow direction and how smooth it is or you are just wasting time man. I couldnt tell ya how much HP is lost but come on, finish the job. There are header kits out there you can weld up yourself.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 AM
Kurt.A
Freshman User
Porting the exhaust ports is by far the best thing you can do to your 385 series iron heads. As previously mentioned above Scotty J is the master at these heads. He even has a web site that gives specific instructions for the DIY. For a minimal one time fee you get access to tons of porting information and factual 385 series specs. Go here and check him out

http://reincarnation-automotive.com/
If you look at the exhaust ports you will see a large bump (for the introduction of air into the exhaust system to help pass emmissions testing) on the floor of the passage, that can be completly removed virtualy doubling the effective area of the port. You will notice a small 1/4 " hole in the bump inside each port, this is were the air gets injected in to the exhaust stream. The hole can be plugged with a self locking set screw. The roof of the bowl can also be raised substainly as well, be carefull here as there is water nearby (Scotty has dimensions to cut to on his web site). Totaly remove the exhaust guide that is inside the port as it is not required.

Even if you can't find or afford headers this mod will help the exhaust side breathe a ton better. Headers do enhance the mod substancially.
Kurt

Old 01-15-2008, 01:43 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

You know I just figured out how you increased your efficiency 400% it's your math cause appearently for someone so smart and ability to refabricate and redesign engines you don't need to know how to do math.... Just looked at your gallery again and you claim that your supposed 648 twin turbo that you claim is yours in your crewcab has a 5" bore and a 4.75" stroke. for people that can actually do math that is a 749cid engine not a 648 which with everything else leads me to beleive that it's not even your truck.
I also noticed that you CLAIM to have a 528, thats funny cause there really isn't many 528" motors cause the pistons have to be custom units do to the fact that takes a .060 overbore which isn't a shelf piston to anyone so most guys just go ahead and bore .080 so they can actually get pistons and rings without going custom. Go ahead and ask me how I know this, gee you read my posts about my engine being 528cid and suddenly you have one.

Oh and was curious about something else like the fact that your name in your profile exactly matches the name of an ebay seller called 950hp370. I am quit certian that the guys over on the network54 FE forum would like to have a chat with you. I am sure you remember them, did you ever send him his parts or money back after ebay banned you?

Here you can go ahead and reply to that thread
http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...ler+ont.canada

Last edited by monsterbaby; 01-15-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:21 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Where could you even get 5" bore head gaskets for a 385 ? Assuming you could safely bore that far.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 385seriesHemi
Yeah, well you want performance you need to complete the flow direction and how smooth it is or you are just wasting time man. I couldnt tell ya how much HP is lost but come on, finish the job. There are header kits out there you can weld up yourself.
I think our DOVE heads are trashed anyway so I will port those first. The heads we just bought were cnc ported so they should be good. Found a set of fenderwell headers with 2 inch tubes and 3.5 inch collectors that we are going to run this year.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Who makes them headers might I ask?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D3VE Heads