1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New front seat questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 AM
HSH
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New front seat questions

Any one out there replaced there front seat (97 250 Crewcab) with something a little more plush? I sat in a newer truck that had leather buckets the other day and was instantly spoiled. I have to believe that I can find a nice set of bucket seats from a totalled truck, but I'm not sure about compatability and how much wrangling I'd have to do to get it in correctly.

Any thoughts?

Chris

Old 01-07-2008, 07:54 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm keeping my eye on this thread. I am looking for the same thing, just not had any luck finding a source. I would love a set of armrests on the long hauls.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard of people using seats from a dodge around our years.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:00 AM
IceboxFX
Tuned
I saw a guy on here who had put super duty seats in his truck and a expedition steering wheel. The set up was really nice. I just cant remember what his user name was, all I remember is that it was a black crew cab 350.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 AM
HSH
Junior User
wow - that sounds like the perfect set up. Hopefully he sees this thread and pipes up

Old 01-07-2008, 10:56 AM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
Icebox, that would be my truck. I have some pictures in my gallery. The seats I installed were from an 04 f350. They didnt exactly bolt right up but with some patience it can be done. I started with the center seat and started marking the new mounting points. I think I spent a good 2-3 hours laying them out. The new seat brackets do not follow the shape of our floor pans so I ended up using a lot of washers and some black steel pipe to shim them where needed. The seats had the built in seat belt clips on them so I had to upgrade the belts too. Those sort of bolt right in. Only thing is the plastic trim over the center pillar wasnt deep enough to cover the new assembly. I had to cut and fiberglass to make it work. I'll get some pics of that up someday.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:03 PM
HSH
Junior User
FordForever -

Any thoughts on finding a set of seats? I'm up in Maine and made a couple calls this morning but came up with nothing. Did you find 'em in Mass or did you have to go national to get them.

How much should I expect to pay?? How many hours did it take you , and were you able to hook up and use all the elec. controls?

Chris

Old 01-07-2008, 12:12 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
FordForever-

you did an excellent job on your seat and steering wheel mod they came out really good. Where did you get the steering wheel? how hard was it to install?

HSH-

I know you can find superduty seats on ebay motors sometimes. I've seen lariat bucket seat sets. they seem to go for about 800-1000

Old 01-07-2008, 12:27 PM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
Hsh, I got the seats from a salvage yard called Bow auto parts in Bow NH for 300. Another place comes to mind near you. A place called LKQ, they have a ton of stuff on ebay. Also, try car-parts.com to search you area. Wiring them is pretty simple, just positive and negative connection. I want to say it took a good 8 hours to complete. Drilling all the new holes is tough, you'll see if you look under your truck. There is a lot of stuff that could be in the way. You end up measuring countless times. I wish I took pics of the bolts before I covered them up with the carpet. I used fully threaded bolts so I could bolt them all in place and then slide the seats onto them.

Icebox, the steering wheel I got from ebay. I had to by the middle cover, which is also the airbag seperatly. I think I paid about 50 for both. It bolts right in. I used the old clockspring on the new wheel to get the cruise and horn to function. Its tough to explain if you arent looking at it. You need to notch the clockspring in a few places to make it work, but it does. I could share the wiring info if anyone needs it. I havent touched the radio controls yet. If you have an aftermarket radio there is this thing called an SWI-Jack that plugs into the steering controls and then into the radio. To do this though I think you would need to somehow make the new clockspring work. I havent seen one yet.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
HSH
Junior User
just found this website -

http://www.superdutycentral.com/

custom made leather seats for around $1000. They don't list anything for our era, but I bet some creativity could get them to fit.
some pretty cool products!
also found some on ebay - but shipping would be prohibitive.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
i am thinking about putting like expedition seats in mine...

Old 01-08-2008, 02:19 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HSH
just found this website -

http://www.superdutycentral.com/

custom made leather seats for around $1000. They don't list anything for our era, but I bet some creativity could get them to fit.
some pretty cool products!
also found some on ebay - but shipping would be prohibitive.
I just emailed them to ask about OBS seats-I'll let you guys know what they say.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:37 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
We have a few different options for you. We have 40/20/40 seats in cloth, vinyl, and leather that will be a direct bolt in for you. Feel free to reply or to give us a call at 1-800-825-0628 Thanks Scott
That's the reply that I got from these guys. I'm going to write back and get some more info.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 PM
HSH
Junior User
Just got off the phone with Superduty Central and they were super helpful. They have a variety of diff. options ranging from $450 to over $1000. The guy was very helpful and said that the seats they sell are a direct bolt in - no fuss!!! They actually have the mounting brackets to go all the way back to the 70's.

The phantom leather (for example) in your choice of colors - $1150 delivered. DAMN! - now I just have to decide whether to save for the seat or a new exhaust and intake.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
What is 40/20/40?